Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Slow Cooker  (Read 18306 times)

LAST CHANCE SALOON

Re: Slow Cooker
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2017, 05:38:58 pm »
Best thing since sliced bread...20 minutes prep in morning and the days your own...We put a whole chicken in, cook high heat for 4 hours,nearly a pint of water comes out, probably pumped into bird to get the right weight, take out of pot and put chicken in oven, 180degs for 15 mins, and best chicken you will ever taste and big saving on leccy.Pity i can't get the turkey in.
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal

Glasgowgal

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2017, 05:54:50 pm »
I have never ever cooked chicken in the slow cooker, i must try that. Maybe you would get a turkey crown in it.

I had my first dose of xmas dinners last night, brussel sprouts the lot, was lovely. It was work xmas party.
Quit Date 6/11/17

Whippetmom

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2017, 07:04:35 pm »
 turkey crown in a slow cooker is yum.  Frees up space in your oven for other stuff.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2017, 07:55:37 pm »
Well if anybody needs to borrow my very large slow cooker just let me know!! Actually, I think that being honest it's not such a winner for me anymore because 2 years ago I had a job that was only a short distance away and I did a 7 hour shift so I could just get away with the 8 hour cooking, but now I work further out so I'm out for nearly 11 hours.... I'm making meals and freezing them and then reheating them in the popty-ping. I will donate my slow cooker to an appropriate cause when the opportunity presents itself.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Glasgowgal

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2017, 08:07:48 pm »
My slow cooker is really good because i can set it to cook for x amount of hours and then it switches onto keep warm mode! But i just like using it as its worry free cooking and the meat is always so tender. I tend to just cook meat rather than dishes like chilli but i think i will try and use it more.

Spoke to hubby and hes agreed if we can fit a turkey crown in it thats a great idea for christmas dinner. As @Whippetmom said frees up the oven for everything else! So thanks for that. Ive not bought a crown before but will have a look.
Quit Date 6/11/17

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2017, 09:03:28 pm »
If it can do a chicken it will do a crown...It cooks the meat right though, and a quick blast in the oven will just put a bit of colour on it..A casserole is great, fry  any meat for 5 mins to seal it, chuck in tin of new potatoes, chopped onion and any veg, fresh or frozen and mix in Shwartz packet mix, more flavour than colmans.
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

Phil Coulson

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2017, 12:05:18 am »
Care to share your chilli slow cooker recipe @Phil Coulson ? I lurve a chilli.

Err I don't use recipes as such.

My chilli is a but more tomatoey and herby than most. I make it medium spiciness as Mrs C doesn't like it hot then I spice mine up with chipotle sauce when serving.

Typically it will be:-

about 1lb of minced beef, left over roast beef or chopped beef (skirt is good)   
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 carton of passata
1 tin of kidney beans (washed)
2 medium unions chopped coarsely
a good handful of mushrooms quartered
2 beef oxo cubes
chilli powder to taste mild or hot or a combination. As I'm making it medium I prefer the flavour from lots of mild powder rather than a little hot.
a level teaspoon of dried coriander
a level teaspoon of oregano
a few grinds of black pepper.

I put it the ingredients in the slow cooker the night before and have a timer set for it to go on at 10am and cook until 6pm there is enough liquid in the ingredients that I don't have to add any extra. I never bother to brown the meat. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 08:11:32 am by Phil Coulson »

Glasgowgal

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2017, 10:38:48 am »
Your recipe sounds fabby phil.i think thats the thing with chilli, i dont think two people make it exactly the same! I might herb mines up a bit more and defo going to try it in slow cooker

Mines is more along the lines of-
500g mince
Couple of garlic cloves
Onions
Grated carrot
A few red peppers (hubby doesnt like kidney beans so this is my substitute)
Ground cumin
Hot chilli powder
3-6 fresh chillis
Oxo cube
Tomato puree
Passata
Tiny bit of sugar say quarter teaspoon
Salt n pepper
Mixed herbs

Quit Date 6/11/17

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2017, 05:19:19 pm »
This is my Chilli recipe I sent to a forum member last month (edited to comply with forum rules  ;D)

As in all things, preparation is the key to a successful outcome and KK’s sexy chilli is no exception.

First you must remove all clothing and don a suitable apron, yes this recipe does really taste better when you have cooked it naked, I don’t know why, but it just does.

You must now open a good bottle of the red stuff, may I suggest a Rioja, this is again all part of the preparation to aid the creative juices and take your mind off the fact that you are naked. Once you have consumed 1/3 of the bottle you are ready to start cooking, so you will need the following which is enough for 4 servings or 2 very big ones

1 bottle of the red stuff
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1 lb of lean mince
2  1/2 teaspoons of ground coriander plus a sprig of fresh chopped up coriander
2  1/2 teaspoons of ground cumin
2 of KK’s special fresh chillies or a knorr flavour pot (mixed chilli flavour) (I use both) or 2 teaspoon of dried crushed chillies
½ teaspoon of dried oregano
1 large tin of chopped tomatoes
1 Oxo cube or similar
1 large tin of kidney beans, but just use half or buy a small tin and use all of them, but do rinse them first

So now you have all the ingredients, top up your glass and we can start to cook stuff.

Put large saucepan on the heat and put the olive oil in
Cut up the onion thinly and pop in saucepan together with the crushed garlic, cook for about 5 mins while you top up your glass.
Chuck in the mince and all the spices inc the oxo cube and flavour pot, cook until the mince looks done, ie greyish and stir profusely
Now put in the tomatoes and all the juice and continue stirring
Cut up KK’s special fresh chillies inc all the seeds “or the alternatives” and pop in the pan
Chop up the green pepper into small cubes and remove the seeds and bung in the pan
Toss in the kidney beans
Top up wine glass and simmer chilli for 2 hrs stirring every 15 mins or so, adding in any ingredients that you have forgotten to put in

If at any point it starts to look dry add some water

After 2 hrs, taste and add what you think to enhance flavour, ie more chilli flakes, coriander or cumin, I always add something.

If you think it’s too bitter and not sweet enough add a pinch of white sugar

After 2 hrs you can turn off heat and just leave pan on residual heat and reheat slowly 2 hrs before serving.

You should serve with sticky rice, a good bottle of the red stuff and use your fingers to eat it, (it’s just so sensual) and just add a little sprig of coriander to top it off, any leftovers can be served the following day with a jacket potato or you can freeze, as it freezes really well.

KK’s top tips

1) You can always add more heat, ie chillies, but it’s difficult to remove the heat, so taste as you go along
2) You’ve been handling fresh chillies, so wash your hands
3) Don’t forget to get dressed before your guests arrive
4) Always have a minimum of 3 bottles of the red stuff to hand, 1 while cooking, 1 while eating and 1 just in case, this should be multiplied by the number of guests
5) Phone a friend, should you at any stage get into trouble, you can phone me on ************
6) Don’t let the cats try it, it will probably kill them

Well that’s it my little darling, KK’s special chilli recipe

KK ;)

Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

Glasgowgal

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2017, 07:07:40 pm »
Can we please have the uncensored version  006
Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: KitKat