Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: day 2  (Read 4292 times)

psuedo

• too weak to succeed, to sick to fail !
day 2
« on: July 28, 2015, 03:09:13 am »
before i slept last night.....wanted to smoke
when i woke up even before i got to my coffee, wanted to smoke
walk to the train station...wanted to smoke
entering work...wanted to smoke
sitting here writing this...want to smoke

somethings seriously messed up here eh ? :p
repeat offender, still trying to go cold turkey !

steelfixer

• Penthouse Cellar Monster
Re: day 2
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 05:54:34 am »
It perfectly normal mate as odd as it may sound, well done for not smoking, it's all part of the sub-conscious mind getting trained into doing things without smoking where previously you would have, you'll have plenty of these encounters as your sub- conscious minds telling you to smoke in these situations as you normally would or at least one of them, youll go through situations where you'd normally smoke and you get through it and of course the nico addiction too. The next time and the time after that you get used to not smoking in these situations making it easier plus youll quickly move onto the next situation where you're doing whatever again without smoking for the first time its part of the addiction but most and nearly all of it is the nicotine addiction as it leaves/has left your body so it wants its fix. You'll encounter many more things where you'll carry them out without smoking where you normally would, it's all part of the quit.

Be strong, dont give in to the nicotein hit.
Last quit 15/06/15.

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 05:59:55 am »
Seems all normal to me ;)  Gee I think it was a week I made and wanted to have a cigarette to celebrate....how made is that :-\  Good work on finishing day 1 and they will get easier as you go along :)

psuedo

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:41:17 am »
im just scared of even taking a break and getting up from my desk at work.

I don't know what else to do on a break but smoke and coffee

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:44:20 am »
But you don't really want to, it's just a craving and they do pass. Are you using NRT or going cold turkey? I really did find strong flavoured sweets really good for taking my mind off the cravings and those Fisherman's Friends were just the ticket for crushing the memory of the taste of cigarettes and by the end of sucking one any cravey thoughts were gone.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

psuedo

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 07:55:11 am »
cold turkey !

whats a little disturbing.....how much i do around cigarettes or used to....

its weird.

Malvin P Lawnmowerpants

• Breadbin
  • Hatstand
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 08:18:21 am »
Game Of War is the answer my friend. Took over my life when I first quit, and stopped me from smoking :)

Then took me 6 months to wean myself off the game though lol
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't climb a ladder with a bell in both hands...

Quit date: 01/10/2014
Smoked for 22 years sadly...

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 08:19:48 am »
Yep, I used to use them as an excuse to leave my desk after a hard phone call, finishing a form, writing a report, being annoyed with the G man.....

Now I can come on here and post, play a game, still make a coffee, stretching, just wander round talking to people......but honestly if you have a break and you have a craving just pop on and post.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 08:25:46 am »
Ah @psuedo , it's a horrible feeling isn't it? I remember I didn't know what to do with myself- all that time on my hands which formerly would have been smoking time....

@tea has made a good suggestion with the Fishermans Friends- I know they really did the trick for her- but there are plenty of other things you could try. Sipping cold water can also help (it sounds odd but I found it took the edge off things) and other ideas include frozen grapes (if you have a freezer handy at work... :)), crudities, sugar-free gum; indeed, anything that keeps your mouth busy. As for things to fill in the time, exercise of any sort helps and of course, anything you can do with your hands to keep them occupied.

@steelfixer is quite right in what he said- you'll find that just about everything you do for the first few days triggers a crave because of the associations, but they DO pass- honestly they do- and if you succeed in riding it out it'll never be as hard again.

We'll be here to help as much as possible and to cheer you along dear @psuedo , and you CAN come through it. I promise.  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

TG

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 10:36:19 am »
Awww @psuedo I know it is rough at the moment and you have had some brilliant advice already, were I don't really think I can add much more. Just know that we are here and promise that if you can get online that you will come here before doing anything else, don't act on impulse because as in most things in life, when you take a step back for a minute things start to look different. These lot will give you a laugh, or a shoulder to cry on or some bloody good advice but you have to visit here to get it.

I hope day 2 goes as smoothly as possible for you. Have your got yourself stocked up with box set's this time?

Houston commercial photography
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

RichCdLion

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 02:46:14 pm »
Alan Carr - Easy Way to Stop Smoking author - said you need to defeat two monsters. the small one (the one you're fighting now) is physical addiction. This will diminish. the larger one is psychological addiction (associating smoking with positive times or as a comfort). Get angry at the cravings - you can beat them  >:(
Quit date: March 1 2016

The following users thanked this post: Skiddaw, TG

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 02:49:11 pm »
Yes. I'd definitely second that. Yell, scream, thump something (ideally not a person  ;)), throw eggs, jump up & down on something satisfyingly splatty....it all helps.  :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

TG

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 03:07:34 pm »
I third it!! The physical side can be tough but the mental side is the worst, you could try changing your routine through the day as much as you can. For example if you get up and have a shower then a cup of tea, swap it. If you can travel a different way to work, even a little change can help and try and not hang around your old smoking haunt's if you can.

Things will get better but your subconscious mind hasn't caught up with your conscious mind once it does it a case of discipline really, knowing there is no such thing as one cigarette.

I know it sounds so much easier just saying it but You got this mate.
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

Titch

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 04:04:41 pm »
I fourth it. 

Think how proud of yourself you will be when you get through today and storm into day three. 
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.