Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: 1st:patches, 2nd:Nicorette gum, 3rd: Champix , 4th: Nicorette inhalator, 5th:  (Read 3427 times)

Helene

Oh yah, I really wanted to succeed and no did not want to use all those method, it just happened this way.  Let me tel you my story.

On a beautiful freezing day on jan 17th, my mind said: you take this smoke, you DIE....hee hee, yup reading this back I feel like I am the story book with the nasty witch who is will give me a hard time...she certaintly did.  But in all good books, the wonderful ending is great:  I have stopped smoking on jan 17, 2014 after 35 years.

Since I am a good girl, I had patches at home.  Oh yeah, I had been planning to stop for the last 7 years so I was always ready.  No I am not a hoarder, on this I was hopeful.

So I put on the patch and for 3 days did not feel well but on the 4th day my arm was red, I felt itchy all over my body, I felt bloated (enflée: sorry sometime I don't know the english word) and in general felt like crap.  I took of the patch and took a GP appointement.  It was so bad that for 4 days I could not work.

While waiting for the appointement, I took nicorette gum.  I figure ''Hey did not take some for 4 days, I will continue''  and when I started Champix , I kept with the nicorette gum instead of smoking until the 14 th or so days.  I also bought a nicorette inhalator for the car because I could not deal well without the habit in the car.

Meanwhile, I searched and I read a lot on the Internet.  I kept on until I found some people that I felt were good to me.  The basic phylosophie that I felt when I read is that there is no best method, there is no method that are not good if it works for you, the symptom that you feel: someone felt it also, you are not a nut. 

Honesty is what works for me.  Oh yeah, you must be thinking while reading this: DREAM ON girl, this is fictionnal, this is Internet.  Well, yes I am a dreamer, I may be naive also but sometime in life you do meet good people and that in real life and on the Internet. 

To come back to the good honest people, they made a difference for me , especially in my darkest hour when I truly did not know if I could make it.

So little blue pill, you helped a lot.  MY mind had to work overload because I had a hard journey.  The good news is that with the passing hours, days, months , each steps was easier to do. 

I am the first one to be amazed that I did it. Wow I am proud of myself.

The following users thanked this post: Kat73

Helene

To continue the story, my hubby decided to quit smoking also, he did try first the patches that he kept taking of to smoke than he started with Champix.  It also worked well for him.  He tells me that his journey was much much easier then me.

So both of us has stopped smoking for more than a year: Saved 6500$ canadian that is around 3500 pounds uk.  All that spent on two trips in Cuba lol.  Next trip: Paris

Hélène
Who lives near Montréal

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
Nice one Helene!  :D

What a journey it has been hasn't it? No regrets that's for sure.... :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

tea

• Administrator
That reaction to the patches sounds awful! Was it an allergy? So glad you found what worked best for you though. Two trips to Cuba sounds like a much nicer treat than smoking too.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Finally!

During my many attempts, I also used patches but after a while I developed an allergy to them. I remember a patch I had on for a long haul flight, took the patch off and underneath was bright red and very "lumpy". Weird as that never happened on the first few attempts, and i never tried them again.

Champix did it for me as well - 2 1/2 months on the little blue pills (Champix that is  ;)) and here I am  :)
Finally quit after 35 years & several attempts.
Used Champix this time and it worked a treat!!
Last smoke 1 Nov 2013 and still going strong :)

Helene

I do think I had an allergic reaction but I never had it tested: why loose my time on this.

I took the whole period of prescription to Champix, twice a day.  I was scared not to.  I did not want to risk smoking again.

I have no regrets...especially with all the travel. 

Whatever method, keep that money for something special so it is really worth it. Don't spend it in avanced, drool about the possibility of been able to do it.

Hélène

Helene

A follow up,

Still smoke free, I had a very rough time this summer, and did not take one. 

For he newbie, champix Was the thing for me

Helene
Stopped on Jan 17 th 2014