Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Coughs and colds  (Read 2295 times)

TG

Coughs and colds
« on: May 11, 2015, 12:41:44 pm »

Coughs and Colds

When we smoke and for all the years that we smoked each and every puff on a cigarette destroyed the cilia, or tiny little hair-like projections lining our respiratory tract.  These cilia are responsible for filtering out all the impurities we breathe on a daily basis.  They line our nose and reach all the way down into our lungs.  When we quit smoking, the first thing, essentially to start repairing itself, is the respiratory tract......and as soon as we take the last puff, the cilia start to regenerate themselves.  In some people these cilia grow back faster than others. 

Coughing is a natural byproduct of the re-emerging cilia.  It makes no difference how long or how much you smoked, the rate of regrowth can and is different in most of us.  The faster the cilia grow, the more likely we are to cough lots in the first weeks of a quit.  Our bodies are healing and our lungs are clearing themselves of all the toxins and impurities. 

But whether your cilia grow back rapidly and we cough lots or slowly and we cough little....any cough lasting more that a few weeks and is persistent and is accompanied by pain and or fever, should be checked by a doctor.  The body heals remarkably fast but smoking often covers a variety of other illnesses and conditions and a lingering cough should not always be associated with quitting smoking.  It's a great idea for any of us quitting to have our lungs checked out afterwards.  It really does help with peace of mind.

All recent quitters need to be aware of two things that can happen when getting cold or flu near the time that they quit smoking. First, a cold may be more annoying than normal. If anyone gets a cold within a few months of a quit, it is often a really uncomfortable one. The reason being not only are you producing excessive mucous from the infection itself, but since your Cilia are still in the process of cleaning out the built up mucous that has been accumulated over the years and decades that never had a chance of coming out before, the amount of congestion and the symptoms can really make a person miserable. Just try to remember this is a good  thing even if it doesn't feel like it at the time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 12:58:42 am by TG »
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
Re: Coughs and colds
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:21:33 pm »
Ugghhh, I remember it well.... :P

That persistent dry 'cilla' cough kicked in towards the end of my first week and went on for around a month. No sooner had that worn off than I went down with a cold and for the next five months I had cold after cold. It's all to do with your immune system rebooting itself apparently and (like all these things) is really a Good Thing but it flaming well didn't feel like it at the time.  :-\ On the plus side, the colds lasted next to no time (and didn't result in one of those hacking coughs that settles on your chest and goes on for weeks as was the case when I still smoked) and (touch wood) I've not had a cold at all this winter/spring.  :)

As is invariably the case with quitting symptoms, it passes, you come out the other side, and in all honestly I would have gone through 10 times as much in order to feel as good as I do now.  ;D
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Glasgowgal

Re: Coughs and colds
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 10:38:58 am »
Im day 117 and i had a really annoying tickle in my throat last week which has now changed into a dry cough. Equally annoying might i add  :) its not bad or chesty and no other symptoms. I dont think ive ever had a cough before now where ive not been blowing my nose also...its a bit strange! Im sure itll pass quick anyway, my gums stopped bleeding hurrah  :)
Quit Date 6/11/17