Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Distraction tactics  (Read 4589 times)

Kat73

• Administrator
Distraction tactics
« on: May 09, 2015, 12:59:14 am »
Ok, so no matter where we are in our journey towards freedom from fags I think we can all safely say that distraction tactics are a must.  We've all tried lots of things to keep ourselves distracted when the smelly little oik is whispering his smelly nothings in our ears (@Skiddaw I still LOVE that phrase) so why not share your favourites here?

For me, the best ones were those that occupied my mind AND my hands, if they also helped burn off some of the nervous energy and tension that quitting creates then that was a very welcome bonus!

Here's my list of favourite distractions, which is pretty wide-ranging to say the least; I did a massive life laundry, cleared out every cupboard, cleaned everything to the nth degree, read voraciously (and I've always been fast, but this was major - three books a day, easy), completed loads of jigsaws, crosswords and other puzzles, played all sorts of online games (this was a lifesaver - with the online games that are similar to Scrabble they have a worldwide appeal and no matter what the time, there was always someone to play against), spent untold hours playing games on Facebook, watched lots of films that I knew would NOT have people smoking, had a massive cook-up and stocked the freezer, spent time with non-smoking friends and family, hid in places where I would never normally have smoked - in the bath, in bed, etc.  More than anything else, I posted and read a quit smoking forum continually and I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that without my online forum family I would never have made it.

So what has worked for you?  Dish it up here, it may just be one of your ideas that clicks for someone struggling to stay free.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 01:02:09 am by Kat73 »
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

The following users thanked this post: Jennet, Longjohn

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
Re: Distraction tactics
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 09:55:38 am »
Good idea for a thread Kat  :)

I certainly had a mad house-cleaning frenzy ( I quit in late autumn when there was no chance of working it off in the garden) and as I love making jam, chutney and pickles I spent a lot of time in the kitchen doing that. I also really maxed out on physical activity. I love walking anyway so when the urge was getting too much I'd just leave the house and walk until it passed and I took up swimming again and then running (as many of you know, I found I enjoyed running so much that I entered the local half marathon and ran it for charity a couple of months ago  :D).
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 06:33:16 pm »
Um.......
  • jumping jacks
    push ups
    sit ups
    rowing with my resistance tubes
    running
    dancing
    having a sing
    painting my nails
    having a big, hot, bubbly bubble bath
    knitting my blanket

12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Teflon

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 06:46:18 pm »
i am on my own this weekend, so have taken the opportunity to make alot of mess :D

Radio on, cutting up and installing kitchen worktops making new breakfast bar has been a wonderful distraction. When I quit there were alot of long overdue tasks that were very helpful to get my mind away from things, so get stuck in, organise the loft, clear the shed.

The only problem is that having done some tasks more arise, so now I have a new list of stuff growing longer and older, much like my earlobes :(

Kat73

• Administrator
Distraction tactics
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 03:58:34 pm »
Cracking ideas all of them!  And all with bonuses attached - not only did they keep you busy and helped fight off the crave monster, you got stuff done that needed doing  :D :D :D

Now I think about it, I'm sure there was some DIY that finally got sorted although now I can't for the life of me remember what it was and, once the weather improved, I know the grass and hedges definitely benefitted - anyone remember me absolutely decimating the front hedge so that all I now need to do is dig out the stumps?

What else did you folks find help passed the time and kept the idea of smoking at bay?

Finally!

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 04:21:06 pm »
Keeping busy was the key for me.
Didn't matter what it was, so long as my mind wasn't thinking about smoking.
Finally quit after 35 years & several attempts.
Used Champix this time and it worked a treat!!
Last smoke 1 Nov 2013 and still going strong :)

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 04:22:42 am »
With some members now closing in on their first month of freedom and others in the very early days I thought maybe it would be a good idea to get this thread moving again.

When distraction is the name of the game, what works for you?  I think it'd be really interesting to see what the newer members of our family have come up with thus far so @Buddles, @RichCdLion, @kirstiedee, @Debbie, @Nick_82, what have you been doing to distract yourself?

Debbie

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 09:58:24 am »
I have a supply of xxx strong mints good for burning the back of your throat lol
Goggle on my phone holidays, news, anything to keep my hands busy.
sometimes just moving to a different room is enough.

The following users thanked this post: Kat73, Skiddaw, Indigo Warrior

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 05:31:58 am »
As I've been having a read around the forum it occurred to me that I still have to employ distraction tactics, although these days it's in an effort to stop myself from constantly eating!  As our @tea says, little pickers wear big knickers! ;D

Current distractions I'm using are games on Facebook (Scrabble and one of those farming games are favourites at the moment), jigsaws by the dozen and I'm crocheting like a mad thing.

Do our early days quitters have any good distraction tactics to share, @Saucisse, @Gerti1, @Nigalius?

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 09:04:35 am »

12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: Skiddaw

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 10:53:31 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes, do share. With me it was running (which I still do- have just returned from one in fact  010).
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Gerti1

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 08:31:32 pm »
Distractions I use are,
Knitting, washing up, dance (tea recommendation and it works), have a bath, make something to eat (nice distraction :) ), come on here and read, deep breathing, have a flick thru food mag, check my quit app, phone a friend, plan next shopping spree, read a stop smoking book (I have around 10). I also remind myself that I am free to smoke if I choose to and it seems to ease the fear that accompanies a crave. xx
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018