Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: New stopper  (Read 3523 times)

Nicky40

Re: New stopper
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2019, 08:47:03 am »
Hi @bignige well done on three weeks, you are doing so well.  I have heard of people like that, saying packing up cigs causes illness and there is a tiny bit of truth to it sometimes apparently in that smoking can mask/hide illnesses sometimes but quitting does not cause them in the first place.

When I quit the first time I had issues with cold like symptoms for around a year.  I have it again this time (5 months in) and I realise it will last a while but I don't let it bother me.  Never really had a hacking cough that some people report, just a tickly one sometimes.  One of the health threads on this site has lot of info about various issues and it's quite interesting to read.  :)
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Third quit lucky 21/11/2018!

Not Another Puff

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2019, 08:48:36 am »
It is amazing in the first few weeks how much of your waking time is spent thinking about cigarettes and how much of your sleeping time is spent dreaming about them.

I know it is hard to believe at the moment but this will pass very quickly.
35 years a smoker until Bastille Day 2018, now a smoker who is choosing not to smoke for the foreseeable future

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2019, 12:06:27 pm »
It is a bit wearing isn't it @bignige? I remember wishing I was a bear and could go into hibernation for a few months. But as @Not Another Puff says, impossible as it seems right now it does pass. You don't really notice it happening but you'll find you'll suddenly realise an entire day has passed and you've not thought about smoking once.  :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

bignige

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2019, 07:45:36 pm »
Can't wait for that day!

The cravings are definitely less intense after food now.

I am also quite proud to be a non-smoker - some people can't believe I have got this far and are very complimentary and supportive which spurs me on.

In fact I actually told someone today that I really feel that I have cracked it this time (only the second time I have tried to stop - last time was many years ago).

Thursday is smoking cessation clinic and I will be getting lower strength patches then!

N

Not Another Puff

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2019, 08:49:38 am »
Well done, it is always nice to get some affirmation becuase you are doing some amazing s hit.

The cravings are like jet lag, they come in waves even way after you think you have cracked it. Fortunately cravings become weaker and infrequent to the point when it is a surprise when you get one.

I know it is boring, but it is true, stay strong and everything will become easier.

35 years a smoker until Bastille Day 2018, now a smoker who is choosing not to smoke for the foreseeable future

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2019, 11:56:47 am »
@bignige , your smoking/quit history sounds just about identical to mine.... and I just know in my bones that you're going to make it...  :) :hug:

bignige

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2019, 08:36:24 am »
Hi all,

Now past the 4 week mark and as of last Thursday I am now on the lower dose patches (14mg).

I also have a Nicorette inhalator and rely on it too much I think - and it has started to make feel nauseous so I am trying to wean myself off it - puff on it for ages and get nothing - then all of a sudden a rush of nicotine nearly takes the back of my throat off!!

Had a few beers over weekend - first for a month - and didn't smoke - would have enjoyed the beer more with a fag though so now seriously thinking of giving up booze too as it is just not the same without a cig!

N

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2019, 10:49:36 am »
Well done @bignige;D

Again, I can really identify with the alcohol thing. I had the same experience myself but oddly enough, it took virtually no time at all before I stopped associating alcohol with fags so my period of sobriety was a short-lived one... :-[ ;)

If the inhaler isn't doing it for you, may I recommend lozenges? I found they were very predictable in terms of the nicotine rush and they're also more discreet than the inhaler.

If you're anything like I was, it was when I got past the 4 week milestone when I began to genuinely believe I could really do it. Hope it is the same for you.

What a star you are!!  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

Nicky40

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2019, 12:26:41 pm »
Hi @bignige pleased to see you have entered month 2 now, well done.

I can also relate to the drinking/smoking thing but it does improve.  My husband wanted to sit in the garden with a drink this weekend and I really didn't want to as smoking on the patio at home was nicer than in a pub garden (always too busy avoiding kids/non smokers/people eating to relax) and I find it difficult not to think about smoking then BUT I did sit outside more than once and drank quite a lot over the weekend.  Sat in a pub watching a gig on Sunday and I saw the whole thing, was pleased I no longer smoke as honestly, I would have missed loads to keep nipping outside!

A friend of mine has one of those inhalators and I am surprised by the amount she uses it, and has done for about 4 years now but I also have vaping friends and they vape more than they ever smoked.
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Third quit lucky 21/11/2018!

Not Another Puff

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2019, 12:59:59 pm »
@bignige 4 weeks is a big milestone, congratulations.

Summer's evening with a tab and a drink in the garden and you dodged the bullet, well done.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2019, 07:21:41 pm »
Well done!!
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

bignige

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2019, 09:15:43 pm »
Thanks everyone.

N

bignige

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2019, 08:24:39 pm »
Hi all,

Back at Smoking Cessation in the morning. Should blow a 0/1 again. Only really going now to pick up my patches.

The guy who I see is OK but aside from collecting the patches and blowing into the machine, little else is discussed.

Seem to have developed a cold now and a dry cough. Unsure if it is a cold as such or another withdrawal/clearing up the lungs etc. symptom!

N

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2019, 09:04:48 am »
It's a pity your smoking cessation bloke isn't more engaged @bignige - it makes such a difference. I was really lucky with my lady. I still pop by the kiosk to see her occasionally. She was fantastic- so supportive. But you're fast reaching the point where you'll be off leading reins anyway and you have us lot to turn to whenever you feel the need.  ;D

You're right I think in assuming the cough/cold symptoms are quit-related. I'd guess the dry cough is because the cilia (hair-like structures in the back of your bronchial passages that play an important role in trapping foreign bodies and preventing infections) start to grow back when you quit smoking (they die when you smoke  :() and that results in the irritating cough. Drove me mad but it doesn't last for long. I remember posting about it yonks ago and our dear @tea kindly pointed out they're called cilia, not Scylla (which are, in fact, Grecian sea-monsters.... :D).

Goodness though @bignige , you're not half doing well!!  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2019, 09:15:28 am »
Oh it's true......and Fisherman's Friends saved me from the Greek monster. They taste foul (the Fisherman's Friends), but it really takes your mind off of anything else because you are so focused on how yucky they taste. The aniseed ones worked just as well.

That tip didn't come from a smoking cessation advisor (all I did for a few weeks was blow), but a lady called Carol who liked cats and had quit before me.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: Skiddaw