Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: New stopper  (Read 706 times)

Nicky40

Re: New stopper
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2019, 08:47:03 am »
Hi @bignige well done on three weeks, you are doing so well.  I have heard of people like that, saying packing up cigs causes illness and there is a tiny bit of truth to it sometimes apparently in that smoking can mask/hide illnesses sometimes but quitting does not cause them in the first place.

When I quit the first time I had issues with cold like symptoms for around a year.  I have it again this time (5 months in) and I realise it will last a while but I don't let it bother me.  Never really had a hacking cough that some people report, just a tickly one sometimes.  One of the health threads on this site has lot of info about various issues and it's quite interesting to read.  :)
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  New Quit date 21/11/2018

Not Another Puff

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2019, 08:48:36 am »
It is amazing in the first few weeks how much of your waking time is spent thinking about cigarettes and how much of your sleeping time is spent dreaming about them.

I know it is hard to believe at the moment but this will pass very quickly.
35 years a smoker until Bastille Day 2018, now a smoker who is choosing not to smoke for the foreseeable future

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2019, 12:06:27 pm »
It is a bit wearing isn't it @bignige? I remember wishing I was a bear and could go into hibernation for a few months. But as @Not Another Puff says, impossible as it seems right now it does pass. You don't really notice it happening but you'll find you'll suddenly realise an entire day has passed and you've not thought about smoking once.  :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

bignige

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2019, 07:45:36 pm »
Can't wait for that day!

The cravings are definitely less intense after food now.

I am also quite proud to be a non-smoker - some people can't believe I have got this far and are very complimentary and supportive which spurs me on.

In fact I actually told someone today that I really feel that I have cracked it this time (only the second time I have tried to stop - last time was many years ago).

Thursday is smoking cessation clinic and I will be getting lower strength patches then!

N

Not Another Puff

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2019, 08:49:38 am »
Well done, it is always nice to get some affirmation becuase you are doing some amazing s hit.

The cravings are like jet lag, they come in waves even way after you think you have cracked it. Fortunately cravings become weaker and infrequent to the point when it is a surprise when you get one.

I know it is boring, but it is true, stay strong and everything will become easier.

35 years a smoker until Bastille Day 2018, now a smoker who is choosing not to smoke for the foreseeable future

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2019, 11:56:47 am »
@bignige , your smoking/quit history sounds just about identical to mine.... and I just know in my bones that you're going to make it...  :) :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...