Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Half a year  (Read 1231 times)

Not Another Puff

Re: Half a year
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 06:54:44 am »
Hey, 7 months.

A massive wobble yesterday while out with smoking work colleagues, craving was so bad I had to travel home on my own from Cowes to London. I am not entirely sure why I did not have a tab, it would have been only one, I deserve it and no one would have known.

Oh god when does this ever end, enough already.
35 years a smoker until Bastille Day 2018, now a smoker who is choosing not to smoke for the foreseeable future

Nicky40

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 08:31:29 am »
I remember those 'just one won't hurt' thoughts, then 'just while I'm out drinking with smokers followed by 'just while I'm out drinking then finally 'I can just smoke at weekends'.  I have failed two good quits (26 and 7 months!)  so can pretty much guarantee it doesn't stop at one.  It is very hard so I totally understand how you feel but it's really best to avoid being near people smoking.  My Mum and son both smoke and while I don't avoid either of them I won't stand outside with them while they smoke because I know I would be tempted, more so if I have had a drink (which is most weekends for me).

You did so well to not smoke this time, before you know it the cravings will stop and it'll all feel worth it.  :hug:
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  New Quit date 21/11/2018

The following users thanked this post: tea

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 11:33:12 am »
@Not Another Puff , if it is any consolation to you, I had a mega-crave at a similar stage in my quit (it was at the wedding of one of my best friends, when the groom, best man and bride's son all lit up after the service). I had to lock myself in the bog until it had passed. I'd not had a craving like that for a fair old time and it right knocked me for six.

The important (only) thing is that you didn't give in. I didn't either, and I can tell you that I never did experience another crave like that. So pleased and chuffed for you...  :hug: :hug: 007 007 :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :vader:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 06:09:29 pm »
@Not Another Puff I can't tell you when but it will and you probably won't notice it until you're past it and you realise that you are completely free of it. Then you'll have a eureka moment and realise it's all over. But blummin well done for kicking it in the pants on that journey.

I do always say HALT; am I hungry, angry, lonely or tired. For me those cravings were often about being frustrated and angry and needing to learn how to manage that. Angry is still the one I've not quite mastered; I don't know how to dissipate angry and be one of those zen people.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Not Another Puff

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 08:41:07 am »
8 months (243 days, not that I am counting) into my quit.

I have some cool milestones to look forward to in the near future, 9 months 14/4/19 and then 300 days 10/5/19.

I have spent a lifetime romantisizing smoking and at last I am coming out the otherside and debunking some of those myths.

35 years a smoker until Bastille Day 2018, now a smoker who is choosing not to smoke for the foreseeable future

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 10:46:00 am »
Great going there. Also to see you look forward to further milestones, so positive. :D  007

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 04:39:31 pm »
I was not looking forward to 10.5.2019 but now it's not going to be such a bad day  :foundbeer:. It sounds trite but I have to do something not so pleasant at work that day, but now I feel like I have a reason to have a celebratory glass of wine that evening  008. I only like to have a glass for special occasions.

I'm that confident that we will be celebrating with you that day that I shall buy the wine at the weekend so that I have it ready.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 10:02:05 pm »
Well done, @Not Another Puff. Half a year is an amazing achievement and you need to have a little mini celebratory party.

Just keep remembering, "Not one Puff Ever" and you will get through this and it does get easier. I was told today, by my quite counter, that I am 1300 days clean. Yes it does get easier but that Gremlin will still occasionally try and persuade you to have a puff. ALWAYS be aware.
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

Nicky40

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 09:00:55 am »
Well done @Not Another Puff Milestones are great goals to aim for, I think they help keep you focused on your quit.  :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  New Quit date 21/11/2018

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 12:58:53 pm »
That really is splendid progress @Not Another Puff !! Delighted for you mate...  ;D 008 :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

AndrewG

• Cutting out The Silk
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 07:48:04 pm »
Nice work @Not Another Puff keep going and nope is the way forward. Your doing great and it will be more than worth it  008
"Some people believe quitting smoking is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
Last smoke 07/11/14 8pm