Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Big stresses the price of freedom.  (Read 357 times)

Phil Coulson

Big stresses the price of freedom.
« on: October 17, 2018, 01:15:36 am »
So 10 years into my quit and a series of external factors have rocked my business to the core. Alas I have failed to be able to manage my way through the storm so have to close at the ed of the month.

The worst thing is I've got to make my few remaining staff redundant, I feel awful about that as they are like a 2nd family. Sleep has been a rare commodity recently, all in all its been a really traumatic time. Albeit the acceptance that there is no way to cling onto things has given some relief. 

This has been tough to deal with and on a par if not worse than the loss of a relative to cancer some years back. My mind has scrabbled to find some stable ground, its been amazing that I have had a few points when I've felt that a cigarette might help. Now my rational mind won't accept that or allow a lapse so no need to be concerned but it highlighted to me that through so much of my life I have conditioned my brain to think that smoking could help me cope with life's the roller coaster moments.

The price of freedom is constant vigilance, is a commonly misappropriated quote, but its very true. I have a good friend who relapsed after 8 years, I knew someone from the other place who relapsed after 5. I have a FB friend who quit for many years and then posted a pic where she was smoking.

We make a choice and stick to it but this is an insidious addiction, smoking is a binary thing. You either do it or not. If you have one then its slippery slope time for far too may people. Its never worth the risk.

In other news I had my 1st job interview in 3 decades aced it and start in a couple of weeks, but its going to be culture shock being employed by someone else again!

Enough42

Re: Big stresses the price of freedom.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 06:08:09 am »
@Phil Coulson I’m really sorry to read that you’ve had such a difficult time lately and have some sad news to deliver to your remaining staff. That would be gutting to have to close your own business......but look at you aceing your job interview and starting soon. And not to mention being constantly vigilant while going through all of this. It is a stark reminder to us all. Thank you for sharing.
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

The following users thanked this post: Phil Coulson

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 07:19:42 am »
Well @Phil Coulson it's such a shame. But absolutely well done on the interview; best of luck in your new job. It's no mean feat getting offered a job these days, and working for the man does have some benefits and for me it's getting to meet lots of interesting people.

12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Nicky40

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 08:57:23 am »
Sorry to hear about your business @Phil Coulson sounds like a very stressful situation, hopefully the staff will be understanding, if like family and will get new employment quickly - as you have (well done).

I also understand about smoking being a constant temptation - I will never call myself a non smoker because I'm not, I'm an ex smoker and there is always a huge risk of smoking again.  Some one I work with started again after 18 years following a double bereavement, that is the longest quit/going back to smoking I have heard about.

Anyway, good luck in your new position - fingers crossed it all goes well for you, possibly less stress being an employee rather than an employer - the same thing happened to in laws a few years back and now they have more free time and more money so it can work out well.
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 10:51:56 am »
Oh @Phil Coulson .... :hug: :hug:

I too am very sorry to hear you've had to wind up your business but one door shuts and another opens (as they say) and I'm sure the future for you and for your former staff will be bright.

You're quite right about the constant vigilance. Mr S started smoking again after being quit for 6 years and though he's now been quit for 16+ years he still has the odd moment when he fancies a fag. NOPE is the only way to go isn't it?

Good luck for the new job.  :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 12:10:16 pm »
Give yourself a hefty pat on the back for not allowing the nicotine gremlin back in light of this horrendous adversity you have had to face. Also congratulations on having a successful interview.

Whilst it is not what you have liked to have happened, I'm sure your staff are aware and fully understand. x
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 08:21:28 am »
Hi @Phil Coulson I was really sorry to read the first part of your post regarding the loss of your business, but then really pleased to read that you have got yourself a new job, which was probably no mean feat in the current climate.

Take care my friend

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

The following users thanked this post: tea, Phil Coulson

Phil Coulson

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 08:01:14 pm »
Well 1st day today in a new job. Loved it. 

I was so busy today, loads to learn but a great team. Its sales based, I'm did a load of cold calling this afternoon (done plenty before so it doesn't bother me) but the sector is good and the people receiving the calls are pretty decent. No sales as yet but several to follow up with emails and further calls  and seeing as I've only got the bare minimum product knowledge so far I'm pretty happy with that.

The following users thanked this post: tea, KitKat, Skiddaw, Enough42

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 08:07:52 pm »
Oh that's good news @Phil Coulson. I expect it was quite tiring too, all that remembering stuff like people's names.

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 08:18:23 pm »
Well done @Phil Coulson  008

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

Phil Coulson

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 09:02:03 pm »
Oh that's good news @Phil Coulson. I expect it was quite tiring too, all that remembering stuff like people's names.

I've a "virtual" sticky note on my desktop with everyone's names :D

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 09:24:35 pm »
You're doing better than I am!! I just keep a jar of boiled sweets by my desk and it seems to keep them happy.

Enough42

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 06:29:47 am »
A fine start to a new chapter it sounds like to me @Phil Coulson so well done!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 09:56:35 am »
That is good to hear @Phil Coulson:)

Hope things continue in an onwards and upwards direction.
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...