Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Help  (Read 657 times)

Not Another Puff

Re: Help
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 12:25:06 pm »
Hi guys i came on this forum last year and did so well. then i started and stopped 20 times or more and here i am again desperatly wanting to quit but feelign like i just cant do it. I really need help. I am overwhelmed with this addiction. can anyone help me here? i just cant do it on my own.

@jacq Not sure if I am in a position to comment as I am on day 88 and still in the quitting phase. Perhaps that makes me qualified as my quit is still raw.

There is no one right way to give up smoking, it is whatever works, but what worked for me was Not Another Puff, cold turkey, so no cheating and no NRT.

Break it down into small manageable time periods, like on this forum, hours then days. I did not give up forever as that was too bigger thing, I started with getting through the day and then to the week end and just kept going.

The cravings last much longer than you think, prepare yourself, as for me it was 6 weeks and did not really stop until 2 months. Time the length and frequency of cravings, they are not as often or as long as you think.

Write down your reasons for giving up and keep them in your wallet.

Always have a water bottle with you, I was going to the bathroom every other hour I drank so much.

You have to retrain your brain as certain things will trigger a craving, try and do things slightly differently, mix up your routine.

I did not do any work for the 1st month of my quit, I am literally still catching up 2 months later.

Exercise was the only time I was not in hell, try and do as much as you can and it also makes you tired, you cannot smoke while you are asleep. Not that sleeping helps as your sleep patterns go to pot.

I cut down on drinking alcohol as most of my bad decisions happen when drinking. I still went to the pub, tried to not mix with smokers and when it all became too much went home early.

There is no such thing as just one cigarette, no matter what the voice in your head says. At best, it just puts you back an hour when you will be in exactly the same place, at worst you are buying a pack of tabs. I slipped up on Day 20, had a great evening, but the next morning the temptation to buy cigarettes was stronger than ever.

I know when you are giving up it feels like the pain will never end, but it does.

Smokers who quit are amazing, you are amazing.

Be good and lucky.

Could you imagine how awesome it would be if this quit was the one? If you quit now, you will be over everything and able to enjoy Christmas as a nonsmoker, best Christmas present ever.
35 years a smoker until Bastille Day 2018, now a smoker who is choosing not to smoke for the foreseeable future

The following users thanked this post: tea, Lostie, Skiddaw

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2018, 01:08:33 pm »
Glad you didn't ask KK that question @tea but I knew as I was starting the quit how much I was spending and it shocked me. My official answer to how many do you smoke a day was 10 to 15, but it was more like 30 to 40 a day and getting worse. There was no one more addicted than me and I can see where @jacq  is coming from and I also knew I could not cut down only stop completely. Yer the bank of LCS has never been fuller . I would like to see what 10500 fags look like that I haven't smoked. If it wasn't for my painful leg I'm sure I would be still smoking and like many on here I wish I had never smoked, what a waste. Iv'e spent £2000 up to now but your welcome to the other £3000 tea.008

10500 average cigs end to end would be 882metres which is over half a mile. So @LAST CHANCE SALOON and @jacq, that is what it might look like. Imagine @Phil Coulson's after 10+ years.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: LAST CHANCE SALOON, jacq

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2018, 01:37:44 pm »
Just popped in to say I'm routing for you dear @jacq . It may be Day 1 today but it'll be Day 1001 before you know it.  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: jacq

jacq

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 05:40:49 pm »
Thank you @Phil Coulson @KitKat @Lostie @Skiddaw @tea @LAST CHANCE SALOON @Not Another Puff thank you thank you thank you thank you

The following users thanked this post: KitKat, Skiddaw, LAST CHANCE SALOON

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 05:44:58 pm »
That's what the forum is for dear @jacq  :) 007 :foundbeer:

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 06:52:11 pm »
We are all here to help you @jacq and we all have different experiences and differing ways that we quit.

For me, I was on another forum and then this one as a smoker, but what I did was read all the posts listen to all the advice given to others by people who were quitting or had quit and then made my own mind up as to when I would quit and how.

I told nobody that I had quit for 3 or 6 months (can't remember) as I didn't want any praise for starting a quit incase I failed, I'm funny like that, so only mentioned it when I was semi confident that it would stick.

Nobody judged me or bullied me to quit even though I was and Admin/mod here (can't say the same for the other forum).

This forum is the most supportive forum I have ever come across, with some of the most caring people on the planet. Yes we do help people quit smoking and that is why we are here, but we also offer support in other areas of life when people are looking for help or support (possibly by PM).

Just ask and you shall receive 008

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

The following users thanked this post: Skiddaw

Jenny

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 08:36:35 am »
Good luck with your quit.

I counted days to the Penthouse

That worked for me

The following users thanked this post: Max414

markmcclean1980

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 08:51:25 am »
Welcome back @jacq

I can’t really add any more to what has been said.  But I am so glad to see you back.  The desire to quit is the biggest thing and it will keep you going. 

The advice I give to everyone is to read, read, read and then read some more.  Look into the different quit methods - some use NRT, champix, cold turkey, I used e cig.  But it’s up to you what to use.  Just promise yourself that, when you quit and have an urge, you will post here and let people help you.

You have it this time!!!

jacq

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 04:16:45 pm »
thanks guys. i have just called a hypnotherapist too as i think that will be my start so either this week or next i am doing it. Its such a nasty little habit like a best friend that stabs me in the back...I will be a non-smoker soon. I think i have to get my head in the game, make a date and just do it but for now I tried yesterday then failed last night so i will be a little more methodical and get it right....urgh at least i want to do this ...

The following users thanked this post: KitKat

Enough42

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 07:06:23 am »
Hey @jacq I am completely late to the thread. It helped me to visualise Mr Nic as a character who was trying to hurt me.  I would frequently yell at him to F off when I had cravings.  He is someone who was trying to hurt me. I also used the NOPE mantra and kept reading about the health side of things, following people’s journeys on the forum, looked at my quit smoking app almost hourly and basically went insane for a couple of months, oh yes and exercised loads. But above everything else I was just stubborn.  As a mule. You WILL find your quit and we are all here to help you on your journey.
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 10:03:34 am »
@jacq , my BIL and my former boss (both of whom had smoked for many years) both successfully quit following hypnotherapy so it can definitely work for some people at least. I think you're right to get a plan in place before you start.  :hug: