Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: When do you start to feel safe?  (Read 778 times)

Burners

When do you start to feel safe?
« on: August 16, 2018, 04:32:29 pm »
Question for the experienced here - inspired by watching a sitcom in which the characters are all relapsing

Complacency is bad, I know, but - when did you start feeling secure you were perma non-smokers?

I’m finding ticking off the milestones is what matters as opposed to time now - guessing the next for me will be the next wedding.

Good to know your experiences!

Non-smoking life commenced: 19th April 2018.
Smoking history: 17 years' chainsmoking - 10 v quiet day, 20 typical, 40 easy on a boozy night - and there were many, many boozy nights. Weapon of choice: roll ups.
Quit weapon of choice: cold turkey, hot baths, this forum!

KitKat

• Administrator
Re: When do you start to feel safe?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 06:17:44 pm »
That is a very good question and everybody will be different, but for me, well, I will never feel safe  009

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

The following users thanked this post: Burners

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:46:22 pm »
Oooh my vision may be skewed on this, but for me it was quite early...probably when my star chart was full at 3 months. Problem is that that sense of safety can be rocked by the things that come up to test you; so for me it was around the time we set this place up when I had neighbours from hell, then when I started a new job with a frosty boss.

I feel safe now curled up against Mr T though. Best place to be.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: markmcclean1980, Burners

Nicky40

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 11:44:46 am »
I would agree with @KitKat  and say never, having relapsed myself after a long quit when I thought I was 'safe'.  Just always stick to NOPE as that one puff which you insist doesn't matter/is only one/just a social ciggy with a drink leads to more and the one for stress doesn't help and also leads to more. 

I have a couple of friends who are ex smokers, one is on 7 years the other is on 30 years and both say they could easily start again when they very occasionally fancy one - usually when drinking with other smokers. 

Hopefully the amount of smokers will become less and less eventually.  Though I don't think the government drive to stop teens smoking has worked - I see more smoking on the way to school than ever before and the pack size changes - well they just make part time smokers smoke more!
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 12:12:34 pm »
I'm with @KitKat and @Nicky40 - whilst I can't imagine ever smoking again I wouldn't ever consider myself to be completely out of the woods. I shall always be an ex-smoker rather than a non-smoker. I'm close on 5 years quit now but Mr S relapsed after 6 years (though he's now been quit for the best part of 15 years).
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Sally

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 08:40:48 pm »
I'm with everybody else, I'll always be an ex-smoker.

For me it's not the stressful times, it's those rare times when it's a sunny evening and there's nothing to do and nowhere to be and you're enjoying a drink in the late evening sunshine. For me that's the time when the rose-tinted glasses come out.  I don't crave cigarettes any more just the very occasional thought. 
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

The following users thanked this post: Burners

Burners

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 12:50:14 am »
Thanks for thoughtful answers everyone!

Must say I feel super grateful to have found you all. 3 months 30 days today and temptation so rare and feel super committed. Think having this forum has made a huge difference.
Non-smoking life commenced: 19th April 2018.
Smoking history: 17 years' chainsmoking - 10 v quiet day, 20 typical, 40 easy on a boozy night - and there were many, many boozy nights. Weapon of choice: roll ups.
Quit weapon of choice: cold turkey, hot baths, this forum!

The following users thanked this post: KitKat, Nicky40

TG

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 12:17:37 am »
Hi Burners

While I never really think about smoking anymore ( being quit for 4 years ). I'm also well aware that one cigarette would put me right back into smoking again. Vigilance always has to be there.

I do consider myself a non smoker tho, but a non smoker can be hooked with one cigarette also.

Just remember NOPE and you will be fine, you have made it this far and I'm sure you will get to the penthouse  006
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 10:47:19 am »
Hi @Burners ,like others i'm an ex-smoker, after 40 odd years of smoking I cant be anything else but I found after 6 months quit I stopped thinking about smoking, loved the idea of not burning £100 a week, and can smell a stinky smoker at 10 paces, and do feel sorry for smokers with horrendous coughs. I had a relapse after 2 years smoke free last time around, but I had no help, no idea what to do. Now I know exactly what to do with the help on this forum ,just say n.o.p.e , have no cigs in the house, a bit tough if your partner smokes I know, and I would have to go out to a shop and buy some which gives you time to think about it. Yes I will be on guard forever but I will never smoke again, my quit date is set in stone on this forum. Keep on doing what your doing.007
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 12:30:37 pm »
Nice to see you TG!  :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...