Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Documentaries  (Read 663 times)

Enough42

Documentaries
« on: August 10, 2018, 07:00:40 am »
Okay, so while I was on holidays in Sardinia I met a lovely couple similar age to us, who are making an effort to become vegan. They were completely not pushy but in conversation about it (I was interested) they recommended that I watch a couple of documentaries, namely Cowspiracy and What the Health (both available on Netflix). So I watched them this week and I feel well.....I’m not really sure how to describe how I feel.....shocked, alarmed, slightly sceptical, like I’ve been sleep walking through my life. I had no idea that animal agriculture was playing such a major role in environmental damage to our planet, not to mention human health issues.  Has anyone else seen these? I need to discuss them with someone.  I have asked my dad in Australia to watch them so that I can have a discussion with him about them.  My hubby hasn’t seen them and doesn’t want to talk about it.  He wants to remain in blissful ignorance (his words) until he’s ready to watch them himself. Fair enough I suppose. In the mean time I have to “confess” that I have stopped eating animal related products.....

Your confused Enough42
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

markmcclean1980

Re: Documentaries
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 08:29:11 am »
I haven’t seen those documentaries but I did watch Forks Over Knives which was very informative.  I was vegan for a few months then fell of the wagon.  Really want to get back to it, just need to sit and watch some documentaries, do some reading etc and get back to it.  It will also be good for my waistline and my health in general.  If you have stopped consuming animal products @Enough42 you will feel crappy for a couple of weeks, but stick with it because you will feel great afterwards.  One bit of advice, Holland and Barrett’s do a vegan vitamin, I would recommend taking it.  Good luck (not that you will need it)

Enough42

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 09:05:21 am »
Thanks @markmcclean1980 . Yes I had just started reading this morning about taking a supplement. In all honesty apart from yoghurt I was already eating vegan breakfast and lunch so one more meal has been pretty easy and I am LOVING some of the new flavour combinations that I am finding. I just can’t believe that these issues aren’t more widely publicised. For those of you reading this post who are not aware of the issues I am talking about, do yourself a favour and watch the documentaries. They are a real eye opener and have really changed the way I see things.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 01:06:50 pm »
They've had some bad press recently though @Enough42 as there's an organisation called Pembrokeshire's Vegan something that has been linking non-vegan diet to sexuality and gender orientation and making some very offensive statements.

But check out Lucy Watson's Feed Me Vegan cookery book, there are some lovely recipes in there.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Enough42

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 04:50:44 pm »
Thanks @tea  I’ll check out the cookbook in due course.  Have my hands full with 2 others already!!

markmcclean1980

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 05:23:41 pm »
There are some extreme groups out there @tea but I’ll have to look up the group you are talking about - maybe have a bit of an argument with them lol.

The best advice I can give @Enough42 is to experiment with foods.  You will slip up, unintentionally, but don’t beat yourself up about it.  And be prepared to answer lots of questions, and to get a bit of sympathy and/or weird responses.  You will eventually laugh it off.  And also, much like quitting smoking, read read read and then read some more.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 05:32:07 pm »
Plus it's not just the diet it's the shoes!! There was a Vegan in our office who was sometimes a little bit pushy about his views until one day he pushed it a bit too hard with one lady who pointed out that he was wearing suede shoes and carrying a leather bag and that was a bit "hypocritical". He went bright red. He has ginger hair and he went beetroot red. I did snigger.

Enough42

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 05:39:20 pm »
As in all walks of life there are a few that spoil it for the majority, esp when talking about minority groups.  You give them a serve @markmcclean1980 ! I’ve read that some take it further than others with the whole leather thing.  I’m going to take it one step at a time and start with no more meat or fish.  I’m working on the “things containing milk and eggs” department but certainly won’t beat myself up if I slip up. Funnily enough I was in charge of organising the school BBQ at the Xmas fair last year and laughed behind the back of one mum who suggested we provide a vegan option.  Now I feel like the ignoramus......I just didn’t know that there was “more to it” than simply being vegan. I thought it was “just” the whole cruelty to animals and fish thing.

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 06:27:38 pm »
Life aint ever as easy and straight forward as we think.

If you have wood in you house, you've helped destroy a rain forest somewhere in the world
If you have any leather products you've killed an animal of some sort
If you eat meat, the above still applies
If you eat crops, you've helped pollute the rivers, kill bees and other types of bugs (it's the pesticides the farmers use to produce the crops)
If you use electricity and/or gas you've helped kill the ozone layer with all that entails

I could go on and on, but at the end of the day, lets all do our bit, no mater how big or small. We all have to live in a very imperfect world, so lets just play nicely and be kind to each other.

KK ;)

Ps I could never give up bacon butties  009
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

The following users thanked this post: Max414

Enough42

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 06:34:22 pm »
I know I know @KitKat. My post wasn’t intended to be divisive.  I am just so gob smacked by it all and my hubby won’t talk to me about it so I’m afraid that you lot copped it! I certainly don’t intend to be one of those “ex smoker” types that rubs everyone up the wrong way.  I do love a bit of bacon as well I have to admit.  But I feel like I can overcome anything now that I’ve said good riddance to Mr Nic so I’m going to go for it. Ahem...but do watch the docs if you get a chance.....okay I’ll shut up now!!!  006

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 06:46:49 pm »
No, don't shut up @Enough42 posts like this are good for debate, they make us think about things that we normally wouldn't think about and we learn stuff.

KK ;)

The following users thanked this post: Lostie

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 08:51:31 pm »
I haven't eaten meat for about 30 years or so. I've only been gluten free for 2 or 3 years, but a lot of my 'special' food I have is dairy free as well by design (I do recommend the cheesecake). There was a really nice tofu based cream cheese style thing in Holland and Barratt and I do like the Swedish Glacé dairy free ice cream but they are expensive.

But I do agree that the farming processes and costs of dairy and meat just don't seem to make good economic or environmental sense on a large scale. You can feed far more people with the wheat grown in an area the same size, as long as they're not coeliacs.

I think my experience of having to give up gluten though, because it was really making me sick, I still often feel like I'm missing out. I also feel like I'm taken advantage of when I'm buying my equivalent of bread, biscuits, etc so I don't usually bother with them. I do think restaurants are getting better, but I do very sheepishly explain that I'm a "real one" because I've seen people make a huge fuss about a gluten free main course and then order cake for desert and say "no, it'll be fine" but it has gluten in.

Even skincare ranges are labelling themselves suitable for vegans now as well.

Enough42

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 07:18:54 am »
Gosh @tea that must be tricky to have given up gluten as well and I know what you mean about pricing.  I bought 5 slices of vegan friendly rye bread at Waitrose yesterday and it cost me £1.70. Could buy 2 full loaves of “normal” bread for that. But I suppose that with a lower level of demand, production costs can be a bit higher (but not sure if it justifies that much extra!). By the way Tesco do a whole range of dairy free ice creams now and a review I read said they are pretty good. Don’t know how much they cost though....

I’ve had the Deliciously Ella cookbook for a few months now (bought it when I first stepped into my healthy eating regime last Xmas) and she is both vegan and GF. I’ve cooked some lovely meals from her book. She also has some great free recipes on her website too.

@KitKat please watch the docs so you can rebut what they are saying! I guess I half posted on here about this because I’m waiting for someone to tell me that they got it all wrong and the planet and our health will be fine if we carry on eating meat and dairy. Sadly the deeper I dig the less that seems likely.

@markmcclean1980 I watched Forks over Knives last night as well (my hubby was out!) which I also enjoyed and it added another layer onto my learning from the 2 others I’d seen so thanks for mentioning that. Perhaps it will be a “go on try it vegan style” penthouse party for me!

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 08:14:50 am »
For information and just to give people an insight to what "cowspiracy" is all about.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B-_xH0Xmho" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B-_xH0Xmho</a>

https://youtu.be/3B-_xH0Xmho

KK ;)

The following users thanked this post: Enough42