Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: At what point is enough enough  (Read 294 times)

tea

• Administrator
At what point is enough enough
« on: July 23, 2018, 11:55:54 am »
I've just visited an elderly man in hospital. He is in hospital because he was "emaciated" and dehydrated. Ambulance reckon he hadn't eaten for days.  He has no dementia and is mentally capable of making decisions but doesn't spent money on food because his 60 cigarettes a day leave him with no money for food.

I could count this man's ribs.

He shows no motivation to change. Still prioritises his 60 cigs a day over food.

We all have priorities, but would you literally starve yourself to feed your habit?
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
Re: At what point is enough enough
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 01:22:37 pm »
Oh @tea it's a difficult one.... it really is an addiction isn't it?

I certainly had clients- I can think of at least three just off the top of my head- all with various health issues- who would and did prioritise tobacco above basic essentials including food. I'd say that all of them were effectively self-medicating with tobacco just as I had a bunch of clients who did the same with alcohol. No easy answers...

So sad for your elderly man.
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Nicky40

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 01:52:20 pm »
Also I think it's more difficult for them to change, some elderly people would have started smoking as a teenager and could have been a smoker for 60+ years, that is a very long habit to try and kick and unfortunately, many of them won't.
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 02:45:06 pm »
Even cutting down to 40 a day would mean this guy could eat, but he's having none of it.

Phil Coulson

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 02:57:20 pm »
There is no helping some people, the addiction or rather the compulsion is strong I've known 2 people on oxygen due to emphysema who have still been smoking despite the massive risk to themselves and everyone afound them.

I reckon its similar in may respects to eating disorders, a cumpultion almost impossible not to act on.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 07:32:57 pm »
He's angry at the world because cigarettes got more expensive, food got more expensive and he can't afford to have £27+ worth of cigarettes per day and eat as well. Not that I think you'd have time to eat in between 60 cigarettes. Well I don't expect I'll be living on smoked salmon and caviar when I retire, and I probably won't be able to afford fancy shoes or moisturiser but if it's a choice between pro-collagen marine cream or eating then I choose eating.