Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: A decade quit next week/  (Read 917 times)

Phil Coulson

A decade quit next week/
« on: July 15, 2018, 03:10:17 am »
So next week I'm away for a week's holiday with the family in Devon; I'll be lucky to get mobile reception let alone 4G but lunchtime on Tuesday marks a decade since my last puff on a cigarette.

These days it's no big deal other than I haven't set fire a load of cash and I'm way healthier than I used to be. I don't miss smoking, I enjoy the freedom quitting has given but the whole thing seems quite alien now.

I'll be otherwise occupied having a great day but it won't be to do with the Quit Anniversary so I probably won't even remember, I certainly won't be having a party or doing anything to mark it as not smoking is normal for me now.

For those in the early stages of their quit journey I'm proof that its very doable. I was a stead fast smoker, a massive nicotine addict. I would stop for a week or two and reward myself for my efforts.....with a smoke! I would wake up in the middle of the night and go outside for a smoke. I would smoke 4 or 5 before I got to work in the morning. I did so many drives out to 24 hour garages at 1am so I had enough ciggys to get me to work the following morning. When I went out with the family I spent half the time away from them so I could feed my addiction. But now I am free from the control that nicotine had on me, I know that I will never smoke again because I know that I never want to be beholden to a substance, like that, ever again.

Smoking is a choice, just keep on not doing it. Most of us smoked for the majority of our adult life so its a big part of who we were but as every day that goes by you learn better how to live without a cigarette, eventually not smoking becomes the norm and while you might get the occasional nostalgic pang about how you once lived while smoking (which in reality probably had nothing to do with smoking) those too eventually fade as new great memories and experineces are buit, but without a ciggy in hand.

Anyway I thought I should post something to "mark" a noteworthy chunck of time but I'm struggling to feel as though its a big deal. These days it's just who I am, a non smoker.

The price of freedom is constant vigilance.

The following users thanked this post: tea, KitKat, Max414, Lostie, Skiddaw, Sally, Nicky40, Marty, Enough42

tea

• Administrator
Re: A decade quit next week/
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 12:42:37 pm »
Well I think that it is a very big achievement on many levels. Partially because as well as your own achievement you have inspired so many others over those 10 years.

I shall do celebrating  008   :foundbeer:   008 
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: Phil Coulson

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 12:54:33 pm »
Sunny Devon sounds like the perfect place to reflect on your epoch anniversary @Phil Coulson . Hope you have a fantastic break and many, many congratulations  ;D 008 007 :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

markmcclean1980

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 08:00:44 pm »
Enjoy the holiday @Phil Coulson.  I know you don’t really count anymore but you are an inspiration to those of us who are not yet at a year. Well done and thank you.

Nicky40

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 09:42:09 am »
Brilliant post @Phil Coulson congratulations on 10 years.  It's great that you still post to encourage other quitters too.  Have a fab holiday  008
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 04:57:37 pm »
Thank you for sharing. It is always reassuring to hear of someone managing to stay off long term and one whole decade is a an amazing achievement and such an inspiration for us following in your footsteps.

008 008 008 008

Enjoy Devon
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

Sally

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 10:23:00 am »
Great post, congratulations on your 10 year anniversary and hope you enjoy your holiday!
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 01:06:47 pm »
10 years free

008 :foundbeer: 008 :foundbeer: 008 :foundbeer: 008 :foundbeer: 008 :foundbeer:

Max414

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 09:45:33 am »
Wonderful post Phil and many many congrats on this magnificent anniversary  :hug: :foundbeer:
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

AndrewG

• Cutting out The Silk
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 07:04:47 pm »
Amen to that Phil !
Ive done too much boozing during the world cup to raise a glass to your great post but cheers anyway  008
"Some people believe quitting smoking is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
Last smoke 07/11/14 8pm

Enough42

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 07:46:36 am »
Congratulations and thank you for your incredibly honest post about the crazy things that we do/did as smokers to feed the horrendous addiction. I was with you too.  I’m so glad to be 10 months free now and aspire to reaching your heady heights in due course.  I’m just going to keep quitting, say NOPE and remain vigilant! Thank you.
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Phil Coulson

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 10:51:12 am »
Devon was lovely. Back now, bronzed and quite pleased that I only put on 1.5lbs!

Thanks for the kind words.

The following users thanked this post: Skiddaw

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 01:23:06 pm »
Welcome home @Phil Coulson:)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 05:03:41 pm »
Ooh was that down to cream teas, fudge, local brew or a combination of all of the above?

Phil Coulson

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 07:37:02 pm »
I suspect it was the fried breakfasts, with fried bread.