Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: I am a legend, end of, fact  (Read 774 times)

Not Another Puff

I am a legend, end of, fact
« on: July 13, 2018, 10:20:02 am »
Quit day was June 26th so I am in week 3.

Quitting cold turkey and only cheated on day 4 when I wore a patch.

20 a day smoker for the last 35 years.

My lungs have been screaming for nicotine pretty much from when I wake up until I go to sleep. Today is the 1st day I am starting to feel better.

The only thing keeping me going is I do not want to ever have to go though the last couple of weeks again.

I cannot concentrate on any single task and my sleep patterns are shot.

This is the period I find most difficult, the physical withdrawl is calming down, the mental triggers are starting to disipate as I overcome them, but I am just so bored of not smoking. The voice in my head that just 1 won't hurt is getting louder. I guess I will always be a smoker who has chosen not to smoke.

I have given up so often that this is my best quit yet with no cheats and only 1 day NRT.

35 years a smoker until Bastille Day 2018, now a smoker who is choosing not to smoke for the foreseeable future

The following users thanked this post: tea, KitKat, Skiddaw, markmcclean1980

markmcclean1980

Re: I am a legend, end of, fact
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 11:18:53 am »
You are a legend and going great guns!!! You got this!

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 01:39:03 pm »
Congratulations on being a legend @Not Another Puff and long may your legend reign.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 04:40:27 pm »
Congratulations from me too. You are doing so well  006   I agree with you that the thought of repeating your first few weeks should keep you going on your journey to being smoke free.

You are not cheating if you have to use aids along the way. I had to take Champix for me to quit, it worked.  ;D

I regard myself as a 'reformed' smoker. 

Sally

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 06:04:42 pm »
Welcome to Just Quit and congratulations from me too! 
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Burners

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 11:12:10 pm »
You're doing great!

One equals another 10 years' smoking but i only have to not smoke today is what i always tell myself.

Definitely through the toughest bit - might be worth trying or finding a new interest (or rediscovering an old one) if you're bored so you can feel the benefit of adding to life!

Non-smoking life commenced: 19th April 2018.
Smoking history: 17 years' chainsmoking - 10 v quiet day, 20 typical, 40 easy on a boozy night - and there were many, many boozy nights. Weapon of choice: roll ups.
Quit weapon of choice: cold turkey, hot baths, this forum!

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 10:42:56 am »
Absolutely fantastic @Not Another Puff  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer: ;D ;D ;D

You're SO right to tell yourself you never, ever want to go through it again. It was what took me through more than a few rough patches. It'll get much, much easier from here onwards and without doubt there's a palatial suite awaiting you at the Penthouse   :hug: :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Nicky40

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 09:43:47 am »
Well done @Not Another Puff just keep going and you will feel better along with those cravings fading  007
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

Enough42

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 06:16:30 am »
I read your post @Not Another Puff and thought I had written it 9 months ago.  I couldn’t concentrate on a single thing and barely slept.  I ate.  A lot. But then found something else to obsess over rather than smoking.  At first it was healthy eating, you know 5 a day type thing, cutting down sugar but then I added on exercise.  I think it’s the exercise that saved me. Once you get into the world of exercise as a non-smoker it is so easy to see the benefits of your “sacrifice”. I’m not sure what your position is but if you’re capable, I would highly recommend exercising!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Not Another Puff

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 11:18:23 am »
Thank you for all your kind comments.

I play rugby, cricket and cycle everyday, so the exercise thing is not going to help me as I was doing this anyway. While I notice that I have more puff it is not enough of a difference to be a motivator.

My next problem is I went to a BBQ with the other coaches of my son's rugby team on Saturday and smoked all evening with them. I have not smoked since (came close as you can imagine to going and buying a pack) but this is a trigger that is going to be a problem over the winter as we spend Wednesday evening and Sunday together.

I will not see these guys together until September when I will have to be a stronger place.

35 years a smoker until Bastille Day 2018, now a smoker who is choosing not to smoke for the foreseeable future

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 01:59:38 pm »
Is is worth thinking about having some NRT to hand for those trigger occasions or even vaping? I carried lozenges around with me for ages after I stopped regularly using them. Just the knowledge that they were there helped.

Not Another Puff

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 02:25:03 pm »
I have tried using patches in the past which were a gateway back into smoking for me. Lozenges are a better idea as you only pop one when you need one while patches are just on.

Everyone on here is lovely, I think I need tough love, be told to get on with it  and just deal with it.

Also i think I am feeling really sorry for myself instead of taking responsibility for this withdrawl, it is my own fault that I am going through this.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 05:10:05 pm »
Don't beat yourself up too badly. You'll just end up smoking again to punish yourself. Hard though it is, the only way through this- ultimately- is to keep repeating the NOPE mantra whilst continuing to put one foot in front of the other. You WILL come out the other side but you can't avoid the bit in the middle no matter what. You just have to find a way of coping.

Dust yourself down dear @Not Another Puff , get back on your feet and continue on the journey. You can do it.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 09:01:13 pm »
@Max414 is one of the best at tough love in my opinion......

Why are you quitting?
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Not Another Puff

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 10:35:44 am »
Skidaw you are right, I am in a much better place today. I am an emotional roller coaster at the moment.

My reasons for giving up Tea are:

Heidi (ex wife) has a new partner, if I die Evan will be giving the father of the bride speech for my daughter, not me.
I want to watch my son play rugby for Surrey, Harlequins, British & Irish Lions and lift the Rugby World Cup in 2031 with England.
Smoking is killing me, literally.
I hate being a drug addict.
£330 is such a lot of money per month.
When I retire, I am going to buy a season ticket for Surrey Cricket Club and spend May through September doing nothing but watching live cricket.
I want to be that grandparent that children love because I am energetic and can play with them.
Nonsmokers do not like kissing a smoker, I love kissing.
I do not want a horrible, long, slow, painful death from lung cancer.