Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Champix Vs cold turkey  (Read 528 times)

DBsussex

Champix Vs cold turkey
« on: May 11, 2018, 09:01:36 pm »
Hi everyone... :nobeer:
Congrats @Burners and @Phoenix for getting to your next rooms.  :vader:

Im a bit early for week three (on day 20) but I wonder if anyone can tell me how bad Cold Turkey is this far into the journey.

During week two I was really tired, and so far this hasn't eased up.... also I've been withdrawn and really rather anxious.... 009

I understand everyone's journey is different, but I'm beginning to wonder how much of this is champix side effects or if this is "normal" at this point into the quit - so I'm thinking of chucking in the champix...but am a bit apprehensive to what new "joyful challenges" I may encounter...

The Cravings still come along, and they are easy to deal with, but I remember after week one I was flying on cloud nine......now I just feel like a bag of crap.

Sorry for the whinge everyone  ;D

Quit date 22/4/18 @ 00.01

Sally

Re: Champix Vs cold turkey
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 09:27:42 pm »
I used lozenges, and what you're experiencing sounds similar.  For the first week, it was hard but it was all a bit of a novelty and I was ok and feeling a bit pleased.  That wore off after about 10 days and I turned into a complete mess!  I stumbled through the next couple of weeks any way I could and it does pass.  Not smoking becomes the new normal. 

I'm sure somebody who used Champix will be along to help you a bit more. 

Never apologise for a whinge, that's why we're here to help you with the tough days and then celebrate the milestones along the way.
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Phoenix

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 10:32:52 pm »
Hi DB,
Sorry things are feeling crappy right now but I hope you enjoyed at least some of your time away?

I've used the very occasional lozenge during the first ten days (like maybe 10 in total) but nothing other than that.
I have felt really tired and lethargic though. I joined a gym this week though and it's really helped.

I did hit a wall a few days ago and started to almost grieve for it. It really hit me that I was going to have to make my peace with never ever smoking again. Under any circumstances. For any reason.

Anyway, you've done so well so far. This is not easy is it? Really looking forward to whooping it up with you and Burners in the month room!

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 07:07:26 am »
I was cold turkey for a couple of weeks and then I got some lozenges for back up because I was very anxious, but I was also dealing with the neighbours from hell and by weeks 10-12 I had the police in my living room at nights at the weekend. So I don't feel that perhaps all of the anxiety was Quit related.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Max414

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 10:49:55 am »
DB,it is wise not to discount the possibility that Champix does not agree with you.

Our beloved @Kat73 for example suffered terribly from its effects until she ditched it. I used Champix and it worked a treat for me,I ended it early-very early-cos I felt I didn't need it,but that was a lot to do with the sheer awesomeness of support that oozed from the quitters on the now defunct BHF forum.

My advice would be to tell yourself this; You don't NEED any chemicals or drugs to do this. You don't NEED anything expect mother nature and self discipline to win your freedom. Your human body is the latest version of what nature has perfected over one million years of development. In all of those amazing incremental developments,at no time was the ability to cope with smoking built in as an 'add on'.The reason we coughed when we first smoked is that your body instinctively repels poison,although foolishly,we persisted and forced our bodies to inhale the filth..But ever since you started smoking,so awesome is your human body,that it has tried its very very best to cope and to endure the daily poison.This is one reason why quitting can have a short term profoundly shocking effect on a person's physiology and emotions; because your body has made numerous and effective modifications to itself in order just to cope with daily poison being inhaled,and once smoking is removed,there is a huge shock to the system.

But in the greatest sense of being cruel to be kind,once you ride out across the early months,your human body is able to dismantle all of the horrible paraphernalia that it needed to apply in order to keep you alive while you smoked.
And it is that process of returning to how nature WANTS you to be,that is so utterly utterly brilliant  004 :foundbeer:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:52:19 am by Max414 »
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

The following users thanked this post: Enough42

Gerti1

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 03:49:58 pm »
I would keep and eye on how you feel and also try and get yourself as busy as poss, it really helps. I started journaling and that helped me a lot as some days it felt like I had felt low for weeks, once I started journaling it was quite obvious that I was just having a rough day or 2. If you feel it really isn't lifting I would speak with you GP and I would also consult them before stopping the tablets as I don't think its wise to just stop taking them. Well done :)
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

The following users thanked this post: Lostie

Enough42

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 07:50:38 pm »
I have to say that I’m in it with @Max414.  Whatever these magic pills are, the truth is that they only take you so far and in the end my friend it truly is your sheer willpower, stubbornness and determination that gets you to the end. By all means, use what you can to help you on your journey but just don’t think that they are going to take all the load for you.  That is down to you and you alone.  As my sister in law said to me quite early on in my journey, “no-one said this was going to be easy” but that just made me more determined to succeed.  And I know you can too, whatever way you choose to take the journey.
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Burners

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 11:02:38 am »
@DBsussex

:( I always see 'feeling a bit sick/weary' as part of shaking off a life threatening addiction but the anxiety sounds horrible.

I personally think your attitude is good enough to get you through. For me the craves are as strong as ever but very very rare and my day to day generalised anxiety (which I didn't realise I had) has gone. Can pay attention to conversation without calculating when I can go for next fag, e.g.

First 3 days I was a bag of nerves (though I tried to see it as amusing), kept chucking clove oil (black pepper oil supposed to be good) on my tongue, now I have occasional craves but circumstantial only.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:07:05 am by Burners »
Non-smoking life commenced: 19th April 2018.
Smoking history: 17 years' chainsmoking - 10 v quiet day, 20 typical, 40 easy on a boozy night - and there were many, many boozy nights. Weapon of choice: roll ups.
Quit weapon of choice: cold turkey, hot baths, this forum!

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 12:14:18 pm »
@DBsussex , I hated the anxiety. I really wasn't expecting it and I found it quite hard to deal with. All I can say is that it did pass after a few weeks and I obviously hope it will be the same for you.  :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...