Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Staying full while quitting without piling on the pounds.  (Read 1045 times)

Phoenix

Hey there folks

Just thought I'd share my experiences so far of losing weight while quitting.

I have learned during my multiple previous attempts that being hungry or tired are massive triggers for me to smoke (along with stress obviously).

Therefore I've allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted to during past attempts. This has inevitably led to weight gain and when I have then fallen off the no smoking wagon I've been left even unhealthier than when I started.

So, this time I have been following a 1400 calorie diet that I found online. It is sensible and allows for two snacks per day and ensures that I eat regularly through the day so that I don't end up famished and making bad choices. I'm only on day 10 but I feel good so far.

I have a gym induction booked for next Tuesday. Tbh, I think I'll prefer the classes to the gym but you never know....

I have a friend at work who is super fit and in his very direct and no nonsense way he is keeping me in line. He says he is hoping that my smoking addiction will transfer to a fitness addiction. I don't fancy his chances but I'm following his instructions for now.

I'm currently ten days smoke free and 3lbs lighter. I do feel a bit grumpy tonight but I started work at 6am today so am probably just flagging. Will be heading to bed early tonight to avoid the exhaustion moodiness!

It's not easy but it is working so far and I do feel proud of myself every day. After years and years of looking after everyone else, I'm now taking care of me and I don't feel a bit guilty about it!

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
Re: Staying full while quitting without piling on the pounds.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 10:35:08 am »
Good for you @Phoenix ! I found exercise really did help with the craves. You carry on taking care of you and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: Phoenix

una-g

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 11:48:47 am »
@Phoenix I’m full of admiration for you. Although I am a successful quitter I did pile on the pounds, indeed I don’t have any willpower left to shift those pounds.
You keep on doing what you’re doing. Well done

The following users thanked this post: Lostie, Phoenix

Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 04:15:09 pm »
Thanks both. It is still early days though. Got to make sure I don't get complacent. I've got form for that......  ;D

Enough42

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 05:57:16 am »
You never know @Phoenix, I never intended to swap for an exercise addiction but I now run 3 times a week and do a trail bike ride at least once a week, oh and walk the dog and I LOVE IT!! Nothing better to boost your feel good factor than a bit of exercise......and sunshine!! Great going to get your calorie plan in place after learning from your previous experiences.  What a clever cookie you are. 
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Phoenix

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 12:59:05 pm »
That's interesting @Enough42. Did you do any regular exercise before quitting? I do some yoga now and again and so I'm reasonably flexible but I can't imagine enjoying running. I feel very unfit. Ene
I climbed the Pyg track up Snowdon for my 40th birthday with two of my oldest friends neither of whom smoke. I didn't struggle too much apart from I was definitely the one of the three of us who got the most breathless. I really noticed then that smoking was having a serious effect even if I couldn't see it.

Enough42

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 05:53:59 am »
No @Phoenix I didn’t do any regular exercise before quitting. I did play sports generally growing up but frankly it has been more than 10 years since I participated in a team sport of any kind. I was never ever a long distance runner and in fact quite disliked it when I was younger. But I love it now. I never understood why people wanted to exercise when they were on holiday in a resort but now I totally get it. The high that you get from exercising is great. So much so that I have to restrain myself from overdoing it (I am also 40+ and the joints etc aren’t what they used to be!). But it’s not just exercise that I got addicted to, it was also healthy eating (okay not all the time) like making sure my family gets at least their 5 a day and just generally being more calorie aware and that type of thing.
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

The following users thanked this post: Phoenix

Phoenix

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 08:20:48 am »
Brilliant! So there is a possibility that I might learn to love it. That's just what I was hoping to hear. Thank you @Enough42!

Nicky40

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 12:10:33 pm »
Great post @Phoenix well done, you will be on two weeks now  :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........