Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 5 - Bargaining  (Read 284 times)

Burners

Day 5 - Bargaining
« on: April 23, 2018, 05:14:50 pm »
Sorry for overshares and excess blogs on here!  Figured if I track feelings on here will be useful to look back on and maybe for others, as I’m finding reading your experiences useful.

Though today held no new information on the matter, day 5 - first day in the office, saw the bargaining stage kick in “I’m going trough a major health scare! This is no time!” We’ll - hold up, if fear of premature illness doesn’t put you off something that near guarantees it, what will?

Keep trying to play it forward “I only have to choose not to smoke today, but if I have one now I Will smoke another 25 years”. Made it past first serious bargaining round.
Mama Mia I didn’t realise how serious the hold on me was!!!

Would be stuffed without you guys, thank you so much! Xxx
Non-smoking life commenced: 19th April 2018.
Smoking history: 17 years' chainsmoking - 10 v quiet day, 20 typical, 40 easy on a boozy night - and there were many, many boozy nights. Weapon of choice: roll ups.
Quit weapon of choice: cold turkey, hot baths, this forum!

tea

• Administrator
Re: Day 5 - Bargaining
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 05:59:56 pm »
When you're st the start of your journey the most honest thing I can tell you is that the first few days are the hardest, for some the first few weeks. But as you point out when you balance that against the damage of avoiding a relatively short period of discomfort..... Plus you will have lightbulb moments and ups that make it worth it as well.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: Burners

Sally

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 07:23:05 pm »
Over half way through the first week - that's brilliant. 

I remember that bargaining stage, I'd say to myself in an hour's time, if I really want a cigarette I can have one.  At that point, there was no way I could deal with never having another cigarette ever again.  All those hours turned into days, months and years.  Now I just don't want a cigarette, once you've got past the tricky days/weeks, the smoke free life is just so much better.
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Nicky40

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 09:00:07 am »
I thought the same as Sally, if I still want one when I finish work I will stop and buy some. It actually did take me a few false starts unfortunately as I wasn't in the right mindset but it sounds like you are. 

That bargaining stage is actually funny if you think about - arguing with yourself (I want/need/deserve a cigarette - No you don't.  But it helps me relax - No it doesn't etc  :D)

Posting here helps lots so keep doing it, no one minds, in fact it goes a little quiet sometimes so it's nice to log in and have posts to read and comment on.  007
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

Enough42

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 06:16:18 am »
I agree with @Nicky40 - post away as it has been a while since we’ve had a new quitter and it’s great to be logging on to see your posts.  No over sharing can happen here but I know what you mean - I was conscious about posting when I first joined and really had to restrain myself from posting every hour but I needn’t have been. What got me through those first few days and early weeks was my stubbornness.  I found the early days so hard that every hour was an achievement. Once I had gotten through a few days there was absolutely no way in hell that I had gone through those difficult days for nothing.  I was not going to fail and let Mr Nic beat me.  No bloody way.  I struggled massively at times but never caved in.  Next week I will be marking having completed 6 full months since I quit and moving into month 7.  And damn it feels good.
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

The following users thanked this post: Nicky40, Burners

breakingfree

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 08:22:02 am »
glad to hear you won the bargain.  I don't bargain any more but I do still occasionally have serious talks with myself.  Fortunately, at long last the desire to smoke really is getting very weak....you'll soon get there.  Why don't you put your quite date/method as your signature in your profile?  I like seeing how far folk have got.
Quit date 18 Jan 2018.
Cold turkey and Allen Carr's book and forum support

Titch

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 09:29:37 am »
Day 5 cold turkey is brilliant. 
My  motto was when the craves were really hitting me badly I posted on here and then waited for 3 replies by which time the craves had passed.
You are doing so well so keep doing what you are doing and keep choosing not to smoke minute by minute, hour by hour, and day by day. You will be reaping all the benefits over the next few days/weeks. 
Really well done.   
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 10:39:48 am »
Well done @Burners ,you got past day 3 which was a make or break day for a lot of us and had a lot of wobbles up to day 30, but then it got a lot easier. I found the crave lasted 3 minutes to pass, so I read some old posts on here, made sure i could'nt get my hands on tobacco in 3 minutes. Keep on going.:)
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

Burners

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 12:13:04 pm »
Ok I'll change my signature to quit date!!!... as soon as I work out how!

Thanks everybody, your energy is infectious! Keep thinking about how I quit for a few months when I lived in oz so always figured I could 'quit whenever' - then realised I went and got myself 10 years more addicted in the interim!  :nobeer: 003

D7 today!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:27:06 pm by Burners »
Non-smoking life commenced: 19th April 2018.
Smoking history: 17 years' chainsmoking - 10 v quiet day, 20 typical, 40 easy on a boozy night - and there were many, many boozy nights. Weapon of choice: roll ups.
Quit weapon of choice: cold turkey, hot baths, this forum!

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 07:13:48 pm »
I love the signature @Burners and I don't think there is overshaing when it comes to JustQuit. The successful quitters posted and played and that's part of how they got to where they are now.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)