Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Emotional - is this normal???  (Read 308 times)

Burners

Emotional - is this normal???
« on: April 22, 2018, 05:11:07 pm »
Day 4 and I've gone today from prancing joyfully in the sunshine to a nervous bloody wreck. Questioning my relationship, thinking about what if I won an award I'm up for, getting anxious about work meetings (I'm never anxious about work meetings!) and generally shaking and quivering with anxiety!

God above, is this the new me? Not sure I'm keen on being a walking raw nerve. Is this the quit? How long will it last if so? Please don't tell me quitting cigs means quitting my strength & dignity. :/
Non-smoking life commenced: 19th April 2018.
Smoking history: 17 years' chainsmoking - 10 v quiet day, 20 typical, 40 easy on a boozy night - and there were many, many boozy nights. Weapon of choice: roll ups.
Quit weapon of choice: cold turkey, hot baths, this forum!

tea

• Administrator
Re: Emotional - is this normal???
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 06:04:37 pm »
Aw, I think some people get it more than others but you're not the first and you won't be the last. Deep breaths, punch it out in front (air boxing works for me sometimes)......it blows over. After 72 hours your body has dumped all of the nicotine when you go cold turkey, so your nicotine synapses in your brain throw a few tricks at you.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: Burners

Sally

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 06:19:21 pm »
Oh yes, I remember spending my second smoke free weekend in tears and generally stressed out.  These tough days do pass and hopefully you'll be back to normal soon.  And, then you'll find your new smoke free life much less stressful than having cigarettes dictate your life. 
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 01:47:49 am »
I became another person, I was so angry and thought I owned the road.  it does pass :)

Enough42

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 05:43:43 am »
Yep I had it too. I literally felt like I couldn’t function properly.  You will get through this and you will beat it so hang in there.  When you come out the other side, your strength and dignity will be treble what it is now.
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Nicky40

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 08:18:09 am »
Some anxiety is normal with ct quitting.  It will pass and you will soon feel much better, you can get through it.  Remind yourself it's all worth it.  007
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 01:59:51 pm »
Me too. It was the quitting side-effect I least expected because it was so not me. I felt churned up the way you do before an interview or an exam, anxious, panicky, unable to concentrate or focus on anything and desperately sad. The only time previously I'd felt anything like that was after losing my mum, dad and only sister within the space of three years. Looking back on it, I suppose it was effectively another bereavement really. As the others have said, it does pass. It took around a month for me to break through it but on the plus side, I felt too churney to eat and lost half a stone. I kept going with that (and used exercise to beat the craves) and over the course of that first year I lost three stone.  ;D

Keep going @Burners - I know it's tough but you'll get past it I promise  :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Burners

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 05:03:54 pm »
Wow skiddaw what an inspiration you are!

Thanks everybody you are awesome people I promise I’ll be a LOT more fun when I’m through this bit ;)
Smoking history: 17 years' chainsmoking - 10 v quiet day, 20 typical, 40 easy on a boozy night - and there were many, many boozy nights. Weapon of choice: roll ups.

The following users thanked this post: Skiddaw

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 06:10:07 pm »
@Burners , don't knock yourself. You're awesome yourself and I can tell you're fun.  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Burners

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 09:31:47 pm »
Ok guys I went for a facial to cheer myself up and deal with all the zits that have suddenly appeared(!!?) It's quite exciting all this really. Like a rollercoaster for the insides.

The following users thanked this post: Lostie

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 10:15:01 pm »
Yep your emotions can be all over the place but it does pass and it is that nicotine monster in desperation trying to get you to quit your quit.

Just say no and ride it through
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015