Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 3 Done!  (Read 1156 times)

Burners

Day 3 Done!
« on: April 21, 2018, 10:39:13 pm »
Ooh today was an itchy day, thank goodness it was a sunny day off work - but a cigarette in the park is sooo tempting  :nobeer:

Managed to get through, here's my coping approach so far:

- Clove oil. Keep sniffing it like a maniac when I get a crave, a drop on the tongue when there's a bad one
- Pick up phone & text a friend when getting craving OR
- Log on here, look up YouTubes, articles talking about benefits of quitting
- Tonight - I've had a big salt bath, taken night nurse and magnesium, and tucking self up with a chamomile tea.

What should I expect from the next few days? I'm most afraid of getting back to work, which is my ultimate trigger - any tips for that?

Thanks guys, looking forward to getting to know you all better! *Phew*
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 10:42:10 pm by Burners »
Non-smoking life commenced: 19th April 2018.
Smoking history: 17 years' chainsmoking - 10 v quiet day, 20 typical, 40 easy on a boozy night - and there were many, many boozy nights. Weapon of choice: roll ups.
Quit weapon of choice: cold turkey, hot baths, this forum!

tea

• Administrator
Re: Day 3 Done!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 11:22:07 pm »
For me, I would log in here maybe gave a rant, play the games (they're a good way to fill a few minutes) and @Max414 's daily quizzes. Lots of stomping around (I still do that).

What will surprise you is you will hit a day where you have a whole morning where you don't think about it and then it will try and trick you because it knows it's losing its grip. Laugh in its face.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Enough42

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 06:46:42 am »
Welcome @Burners and well done on getting through day 3! Those early days were sooooo tough.  I remember it well.  I don’t think I found this forum until day 5. You have a bit more white knuckling to go through (but you can do it!!) but it is sooooooo worth it.  I really still can’t believe I did it.  Read old posts.  That gave me a lot of strength and courage and I just thought, if those people can do it then so can I.  There was part of me that wondered whether everyone was just lying and I dreaded the reality that maybe it never ever gets easier but now I know that it does and you will be so proud of yourself for getting to that place.  I don’t know if you have an app but if you don’t, get one.  Checking on your daily progress wastes a minute or two and there are lots of goals to aspire to as well. Be stubborn and you can do it!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Burners

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 09:16:01 am »
Marvellous, thanks for the tips.

@enoigh42 you're a good 6 months in - so you feel better and brighter aside from less craving?

I'm moving to the next room! Feels good!
Smoking history: 17 years' chainsmoking - 10 v quiet day, 20 typical, 40 easy on a boozy night - and there were many, many boozy nights. Weapon of choice: roll ups.

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 09:29:28 am »
HI @Burners ,this time I got rid of all trace of tobacco and lighters in house and car, in the past ive always kept some just in case and could never resist having just one, but just one is never enough. If you need a smoke you are then going to have to go to a shop and buy some, which gives you thinking time. I  put my old fleece coat on the other day to mow the lawn and there I found 3 fags in a packet, I just laughed and put them in the bin, try doing that on day 4 but you can on day 158.I also posted my last smoke on here set in stone and that will never change, and remember 80% of the cost of tobacco goes straight to the Gov.com in tax. Hi @Enough42 ,good to see you still pulling me along and doing well, now what a wobble you had for 30 days. Last thing is you would not believe how bad you smelt but your friends were too polite to tell you.:)
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 01:15:52 pm »
Well done @Burners - now you're through the first 3 days the worst of the immediate quitting stuff is behind you. Yes, there's a way to go yet, but it won't be long now before you start noticing the positives. With me, the first thing was my breathing- suddenly I could laugh and suck air properly into my lungs without coughing- and my skin began to look different (people kept asking me if I'd been away on holiday  because I looked so well  :)).

Not long until you'll be celebrating your first week!  008 008 008 :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: Burners

Enough42

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 01:23:26 pm »
Oh my gosh @Burners you truly wouldn’t believe how different I feel.  I am even one of those people who exercises for the fun of it now. My skin is so much brighter and cleaner (I’ve had loads of comments on my skin). I’m not paranoid about being stinky or having foul breath. I don’t have to stress about if, when and where I can have a fag. I can go up and down the stairs in our house as many times a day as I need to without feeling out of breath.  I could go on and on.  Most importantly though is the self confidence I now feel after having ditched a dirty habit that even I was disgusted by (but thought I loved). I’m immeasurably proud of myself. It’s hard.  No-one said it was going to be easy.  But if I can do it then I know that you can too. And yes @LAST CHANCE SALOON I found the first month really tough going.
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

The following users thanked this post: LAST CHANCE SALOON, Burners

Nicky40

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 08:30:28 am »
Well done @Burners , for work this week just changing your routine a little should help.  Have breaks at different times, go for a short walk when you would usually be in the smoking area and avoid smokers as much as you can in the first few weeks. 

I agree with everything @Enough42 said about the benefits.  The breathlessness particularly improves quite quickly. I think the first week is very difficult and each day that passes after that it becomes easier until you suddenly go hours without thinking about smoking, and that is a wonderful feeling.  006
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

DBsussex

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 09:13:47 pm »
Hi... Congratulations on getting over day 3!!!
My last smoke was on Saturday evening, I'm on Day 10 of Champix... (cheating I Know).. but today has been horrific.
I managed to stop 12 years ago using Zyban... Then after eighteen months I ran a Marathon and rewarded myself with a cigarette...what a numpty !!

So here we are several quit attempts later, and I think this is the worst I've ever  known it... I haven't been able to concentrate at work, and I've got the attention span of a goldfish.....

Looking forward to getting to day 4!!! 004
Quit date 22/4/18 @ 00.01

Sally

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 09:31:43 pm »
Hello @DBsussex, nice to meet you and well done for getting to Day 3.  Champix, that's not cheating.  The destination is the same but get there anyway you can.  Good luck for tomorrow!
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

The following users thanked this post: Burners, DBsussex

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 01:17:25 pm »
@DBsussex , a big welcome to the forum from me too. You're doing brilliantly and there's NOTHING that's cheating about Champix (or, indeed, any quitting aid) as far as I am concerned.

You'll be running another marathon before you know it  ;D 010 010 010
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: DBsussex

Burners

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 01:43:26 pm »
@DBsussex awesome!

Good to meet you, we can be quit buddies!

If you have the strength of will to run a marathon you for sure have the will to live a better smoke free life again!

The following users thanked this post: DBsussex