Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: No benefits to smoking  (Read 2185 times)

lau

No benefits to smoking
« on: April 11, 2018, 01:57:28 pm »
I've quit smoking many times, and I have over the years developed many different types of smoking.  I started so long ago that I actually don't remember never being a smoker, as I have always smoked in some form since I was a child.  So my previous states ranged from smoker (20 a day) to sort of smoker (less than 10 a day, not every day, usually not a smoker at work, just at home) to sort of quit (not smoking 2 days in a row, sometimes not for a few weeks at a time).  I quit smoking on 4th October (189 days ago) kind of by accident.  I was skint and sick of being chesty, so I decided it was time to move from smoker to sort of quit again.  I was planning to start on Monday but I'd had a bad day, so I postponed it to Tuesday, then had another bad day, so Wednesday it was.   So, I left my fags on the dining table when I packed my bag for work and decided I’d skip my morning ones and go buy some at lunch.  At lunch time I found myself wandering round and round the block for a full hour.  I didn’t buy any fags, I went back to work and carried on without.  I have no idea why really, I just thought I’d see if I could go straight to not smoking.  I still always planned to smoke occasionally once I’d got myself settled again as sort of quit.  But I didn’t. I still couldn’t tell you why.  I sometimes still want to, although increasingly I don’t think I’d actually go through with it. 

So I’m over the 6 month line.  My longest ever true quit.

I’ve always associated smoking with stress, and most of my previous quit attempts have been sabotaged by a stressful event – My Nan or friend dying, work stress, falling out with a friend…. In the last 3 months, most of my life has gone wrong, but I’ve just kind of carried on not smoking.  Not that I haven’t wanted to, just that I didn’t do it.  There’s no strong willpower thing, it’s almost like it’s a conversation happening around me that I’m not part of.  I still get stressed about things that don’t seem to bother other people, I still cry, I drink more, I don’t think I handle stress any better or worse that I did as a smoker, I just don’t smoke.

I don’t feel any healthier.  I still can’t run for a bus without dying, I still feel very unhealthy and I still get very chesty in the mornings (although that may be to do with the damp from my leaking roof). 

I don’t have any more money.  How I had £300 a month to spend on cigs is beyond me, but I am still very skint even without spending it.

I don’t think I see any benefit to not smoking on a daily basis, but I guess I’ve realise there wasn’t much benefit to smoking either.  I can still be just as grumpy, unhealthy and skint as a non-smoker, so I don’t need fags after all!

I’m gonna carry on not smoking and see where it takes me I think.

lau

Re: No benefits to smoking
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 02:00:10 pm »
This was supposed to be my happy - I made it to 6 months post, but somewhere it went wrong....

I guess i'm just not in a very happy place right now. 

I think I'm actyually just somewhat confused about how I haven't smoked for 6 months!!!!!!!

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 02:31:52 pm »
You should be very happy for not having smoked for 6 months. That is a really good thing 008

Smoking had been part of our life for so long and I felt there was something missing when I quit (I had no choice my bad health made me quit). Just because you miss it doesn't mean it was good for you. I guess you are just feeling a little lost at the moment. I was very emotional with my quit and even for my 12 month Penthouse arrival I received so many loved posts from another forum (most people on here) I just cried and cried.

I hope you feel a bit more positive soon. You have done very well and the right thing.  I'm not sure why you don't have any more money I put my money away that I would have spent on cigs.  Why don't you try and do that and reward yourself for all your hard work. I'm guessing the money has just gone into everyday living.  If you found the money to smoke you can find a little bit to save and spoil on yourself.  Good luck with it.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 03:07:03 pm »
Well congratulations on being 6 months quit. It may not be a real life benefit but we shall put wine in your imaginary suite in our JustQuit hotel  008, nicer toilet rolls, snacks and chocolates.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: Helene

Helene

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 03:26:09 pm »
 Hi Bubble,

Yes sometime I did wonder also and yes I can say it is worth it.  It seems like loosing a friend at first but later on I realized it was a toxic friend.  Like a toxic friend, they manipulate our mind.

1- money saved.  You have to put it away to spoil yourself with something special or you just don’t see it.  I went to several trips.

2- Panic attact.  As weird as it may sound, i have no longer panic attact.  When I was smoking, i had symptoms nearly every day.  I know some people that happened to them also.

3-Look younger .  My skin( face) is more rosy than grey as it used to be and the « has stopped it’s progress.

4-no longer crazy in airport or plane.  Yup, when you travel, it drove me nuts.  Sometime I took the risk of going outside the border (douane in french).

5-pumping heart. in the first year, I did not feel There was a difference in the hard, fast pumping heart.  Now I do.  Always loved dancing and after 15 Minutes of fast dancing my heart was pumping.  I realized last week that is no longer the case.  Has a course in lindy hop and no heart pumping.  Wow.

6- like Lostie, I found friends and a lot of love. So much that I was able to travel across the pound ( from Montreal, Canada to London). To meet many of those friends.  Did not meet them all yet...the family keeps growing.

7-smell.  I stank and did not realized how much.lol.

You have done the hardest journey of 6 month.  Celebrate it, spoil yourself.  Do a party with friends, at work with a cake.  I did , a cake por 50 people at work .

Helene

The following users thanked this post: tea, Sally

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 04:32:05 pm »
Oh, Helene that just reminded me, that I also did a cake. for 35 people for the physio department. where I had been doing my exercises for my emphysema :)

The following users thanked this post: Helene

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 06:34:48 pm »
I remember @Helene and her 6 month cake very well!  :)

Dear @bubbielau , I think that rather than being negative, your 6 month post actually hit the nail firmly on the head about the reality of quitting. It isn't always about having an epiphany and quitting doesn't mean all the stresses and anxieties of life disappear. The point is that despite all the curved balls that life has clearly thrown at you over the past months, you've not used nicotine as a crutch or a reward. You've found other ways and methods of coping (or probably not coping on occasion  :hug: :hug:) and through it all you've just carried on putting one foot in front of the other and continuing your journey. Better times WILL come (in all respects) and you'll appreciate them all the more because your smoking days are far in the past. I think your post is inspirational.

We're going to throw SUCH a splendid party for you when you arrive at the Penthouse!!  008 008 007 007 :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: tea

Sally

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 08:20:09 pm »
Wow six months, that's a brilliant achievement and thank you for writing such an honest post, sometimes these types of posts are the ones which really help. 

Giving up smoking when it's been such a significant part of our lives is tough emotionally, on top of everything everyday life throws at you.

Take the time to be proud of yourself, and definitely a treat is in order for passing the six month mark.  It doesn't have to be expensive.  I hope better days are on their way for you.
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Nicky40

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 09:20:54 am »
Well done on six months @bubbielau that's fab, especially as you didn't really intend to quit completely but just realised there is no point.  Just keep at it and you will notice the benefits. 

I am on my 2nd real quit (where I am not cheating - all other attempts including social smoking etc!) and currently on almost 14 weeks, I haven't noticed much difference yet this time but on my previous 2+ year quit I noticed many improvements in health, skin, teeth and nails.  My breathing did get easier and it was noticeable as I work on a third floor with no lift - as a smoker I couldn't speak when I got to the office.

The smell of smokers is a nice reminder of what we used to smell like, and it isn't pleasant - you just don't really notice as a smoker.

As @Helene mentioned, airports (or in fact any travel) is hell as a smoker as you spend the whole time planning/worrying about the next smoke, when, where etc.
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Third quit lucky 21/11/2018!

markmcclean1980

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 01:40:37 pm »
Well done on 6 months @bubbielau you are doing really well.

I think your post speaks to more people than you realise.  Just keep going.

I am due to reach the penthouse a day before you so I will make sure to have a drink ready and waiting for you.