Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: The Banting Diet  (Read 8582 times)

Sjt13

The Banting Diet
« on: May 04, 2015, 09:45:37 pm »
Hubby and I have started on The Banting Diet to try lose the excess weight we picked up when we quit smoking 2 years ago. This is the website if anyone is interested. http://realmealrevolution.com

Essentially the diet is high fat, medium protein, low carb. We are 2 weeks in and we have both lost around 3kgs so far. I am missing biscuits and cakes, but otherwise am doing ok. This diet is hugely popular in South Africa. Several restaurants have "Banting options" on their menus.
Quit 21 April 2013 with the help of an e cig

Have never looked back....

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
Re: The Banting Diet
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 08:25:00 am »
Good luck with it and well done on your success so far.  :)

Blimey though- I've not heard the expression 'Banting' for years...it was the original celeb diet wasn't it? Forget the mans first name but his surname was Banting. They're always banting in Agatha Christie novels and other books from that 30s era.
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: Sjt13

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 08:51:52 am »
Wow it sounds good in a way. I always lose when I cut out complex carbs like bread, pasta, rice and potatoes, but I'm vegetarian and I would find it hard to not have apples, carrots and beetroot.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Sjt13

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 10:21:37 am »
Good luck with it and well done on your success so far.  :)

Blimey though- I've not heard the expression 'Banting' for years...it was the original celeb diet wasn't it? Forget the mans first name but his surname was Banting. They're always banting in Agatha Christie novels and other books from that 30s era.

Yes his name was William Banting and he used this approach in the 1800's. It went out of popularity in the 1979's I think and a South African sports scientist brought it back recently.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 11:08:28 pm »
So what do you eat in a day of the Banting diet?

Teflon

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 11:30:05 pm »
bacon

tis awesome

Sjt13

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:53:45 am »

Yesterday I had :

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs with chorizo and fried tomatoes
I wasn't hungry again until evening so I skipped lunch
Dinner - chicken stuffed with goats cheese and wrapped in bacon with a creamy sauce, with steamed broccoli and asparagus

Today I'm having a lighter breakfast of full fat Greek yoghurt with blueberries, strawberries, nuts and homemade muesli

Debbie

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 09:06:11 am »
Well done on your weight lose thats fantastic. How does it work eating the naughty food as I call it lol. Sounds more fun than the way Im doing it. Two dabs of special cream daily and no fried food, snacks and hardly any bread or sugar.
So porridge for breakfast
Egg salad for lunch
Shepherds pie for dinner
Sweetex in my tea and banana for a snack
Thats an example x

The following users thanked this post: Sjt13

Debbie

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 09:15:28 am »
I meant to add I have lost half a stone in 6 weeks now. I need to loose another stone to be pre June 2013 weight before I started my yoyo quitting. Everytime I try to quit I put on more weight so I want to get back to what I was before I try again otherwise I am going to look like a tellytubby xx

Titch

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 09:24:29 am »
Yesterday I had :

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs with chorizo and fried tomatoes
I wasn't hungry again until evening so I skipped lunch
Dinner - chicken stuffed with goats cheese and wrapped in bacon with a creamy sauce, with steamed broccoli and asparagus

Today I'm having a lighter breakfast of full fat Greek yoghurt with blueberries, strawberries, nuts and homemade muesli

Oh wow, that sounds far to delicious to be  diet food.   I dont need to diet but a few of my friends are always dieting on and off.  Will send them your link.
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 01:40:46 pm »
Blimey, Debbie, half a stone in 6 weeks is amazing and worthy of a few dancing bananas...( ;)..)

Seriously, well done you!  :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Sjt13

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 10:11:34 pm »
I meant to add I have lost half a stone in 6 weeks now. I need to loose another stone to be pre June 2013 weight before I started my yoyo quitting. Everytime I try to quit I put on more weight so I want to get back to what I was before I try again otherwise I am going to look like a tellytubby xx

That's amazing!! Well done you!

Sjt13

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 10:17:18 pm »
Wow it sounds good in a way. I always lose when I cut out complex carbs like bread, pasta, rice and potatoes, but I'm vegetarian and I would find it hard to not have apples, carrots and beetroot.

I don't think this particular diet would work for vegetarians.  I eat lots of veggies but have to limit fruit while on this diet. I should add that I am not overweight - I just want to lose the weight I put on shortly after I quit.  I was on the skinny side before so I am now on the heavier side of normal if that makes any kind of sense.... I just want to fit into my clothes comfortably.

Also, many people adopt this diet as a new lifestyle. I am hoping to just stay on the diet for a few months and then gradually go back to normal eating (ie everything in moderation). I am just using this diet to kick start my weight loss.  I think I put on most of my weight in the first 2 months of my quit (all those creme eggs)!!! So hopefully I will be able to stabilise my weight when I go back to normal.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 05:16:59 pm »
I don't think this particular diet would work for vegetarians.  I eat lots of veggies but have to limit fruit while on this diet. I should add that I am not overweight - I just want to lose the weight I put on shortly after I quit.  I was on the skinny side before so I am now on the heavier side of normal if that makes any kind of sense.... I just want to fit into my clothes comfortably.

Also, many people adopt this diet as a new lifestyle. I am hoping to just stay on the diet for a few months and then gradually go back to normal eating (ie everything in moderation). I am just using this diet to kick start my weight loss.  I think I put on most of my weight in the first 2 months of my quit (all those creme eggs)!!! So hopefully I will be able to stabilise my weight when I go back to normal.

It said I could have 1.5 apples or 0.5 of a sweet potatoe to use my carb limit and I blanched!! I had 1/3 of a red pepper, some grapes and some dried apricots and raisins today, so I would've failed I think. I wonder why the milk has to be full fat and not semi-skimmed though.

Teflon

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 05:46:30 pm »
It said I could have 1.5 apples or 0.5 of a sweet potatoe to use my carb limit and I blanched!! I had 1/3 of a red pepper, some grapes and some dried apricots and raisins today, so I would've failed I think. I wonder why the milk has to be full fat and not semi-skimmed though.
high fat diet so they need you to ingest as much as poss within relatively normal meals, lard on cheese 1 times a day with a dripping chaser may be a bit extreme.