Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Strategies when at work  (Read 672 times)

Jdcross77

Strategies when at work
« on: April 10, 2018, 04:49:25 pm »
Hi all, at 9:20 tomorrow eve I would have passed the week mark.

Ups and downs isn’t it? One moment I feel I’m winning the next I’m trying to tell myself poor health from smoking happens to other people and I should just light up.

Work is worst. I didn’t have ciggy breaks but my commute to work, lunch break and commute back all involved at least two and really helped me complete tasks.

Today I walked briskly for 45 minutes at lunchtime whilst eating a bag of chips!

I’ve got carrot sticks, fizzy water, chilli chocolate at my desk but what other strategies have people used when they realised smoking got them through office life?

Thanks

James

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
Re: Strategies when at work
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 04:57:01 pm »
First of all, a HUGE WELL DONE for holding on in there @Jdcross77 !! Nearly a week- that's totally splendid and you should be very, very proud.  ;D 008 :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

I think you're already employing (no pun intended  :)) the right tactics to tackle the smoking/work issue. It's all about making small changes to your routine until your brain has remapped its pathways and no longer associates particular times or events with smoking. It's really hard at first because there are so many triggers but as time passes you'll encounter less and less of them until eventually you'll only hit one once in a blue moon if ever. Just keep doing what you're doing and it WILL pass (and soon).  :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: Jdcross77

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 06:06:55 pm »
Office days are sometimes hard for me because I feel stressed out and hemmed in. I have to be up and on my feet regularly; I used to use smoking as an excuse to get up and move away from the desk, especially after difficult phone calls. Now, I go and make coffee, I go outside for a stomp around the building if it's been a difficult one, oh and I go and talk to people and in this job I like the guy in the other office who likes old rock and satirical comedy. I have actually discovered people I've not seen for 15 years in corridors, but I wouldn't have bumped into them if I'd been outside in the corner.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Max414

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 09:05:01 am »
Well done mate!!! You are doing exactly what is needed to beat this addiction.
Know what you mean about work. My car drivers window lived permanently half open as I always smoked while driving and as a consequence the inside of the door stank and was coated in ash  002

Keep inching forwards and we PROMISE you easier times are ahead !!!
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Nicky40

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 12:04:00 pm »
Well done on a week @Jdcross77  I can't really comment on work days as I did have breaks, I just stopped having them when I quit and my commute was by car which I didn't ever smoke in.  You will get used to the new routine though, and all the extra time you now have.  Walking is great for you and a good distraction.  006
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

bubbielau

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 01:44:12 pm »
I think the best thing sometimes is to change things up. 
Walk a different way, get off the tube or bus a stop earlier or later to break the association with lighting up at that stop.
At lunch book things to look forward to - treat a friend to a pizza with all that money you saved, join an excercise class, go shopping for something nice - I think I spent most of my first week in Superdrug planning which little treat I was going to buy myself each day I didn't smoke.

I feel you on the not getting a break though Tea, I have a friend who quit 15 years ago who still goes for a "non fag break" to get a break and some air.  Although it is nice not to have to when it rains!

The following users thanked this post: Jdcross77, Burners

Helene

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 03:40:41 pm »
You did make me laugh at myself what I did at first.

Since I was going crazy, I was dancing in my office and the school.  My coworker helped me with this and it was actually a good stress reliever and a lot of laugh for all of us.

I had a stress ball

In the car to go to work, in morning, I ate my breakfast instead of smoking and coming back, I ate an apple.

I had a coworker who was an ex smoker that came to see me to give my high five and went to walk at lunch time when she could.

i made frozen grapes,  still do because I love it and good snack.  Kept it in freezer at work.

Ate pop corn instead of chips.

I did stretching exercice to relieve the stress in the office and breathing exercice.  Still do but not because I feel like smoking now.  I just realized it really is a stress reliever.

Helene

Jdcross77

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 07:29:38 pm »
Thanks for all the positive feedback and suggestions. This is all really helpful and is great to be amongst others whom went through the same.

Great idea @bubbielau I don’t get the tube but get a train in and have planned another route to take that avoids the usual triggers (and the shop I got rizlas from!).

@Helene popcorn instead of crisps definitely the way forward. Ate a radish yesterday for the first time. Gah!!

@tea sounds like you have a challenging job, well done for sticking with the quit.

That’s what I’m holding on for @Max414 -easier times ahead!

Sally

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 08:34:09 pm »
I get the train and tube into work.  Changing my route just a tiny bit was such a massive help, I really found the "commuting" cigarettes the hardest to give up.  At the weekends though, walking was my way of coping with the cravings!  Poor dog got walked off his little paws!

I have to admit now I rarely get any sort of break from work, whereas when I smoked I always went outside even if it was only 10 minutes. 

At first I got by an hour at a time, with the assistance of nicotine lozenges.  Then I needed to quit those before I ended up addicted to them too and @tea recommended Fishermans Friends, they're not nice but there was something in the strong overpowering flavour that seemed to work for me.

Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

The following users thanked this post: Max414

Gerti1

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 07:47:56 pm »
I think changing your routine as much as poss is a great tip and I have also found boiled sweets with a zing really helps, my fav is mint imperials :)
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 09:43:10 pm »
I forgot the Link Game! The games are great to fill a five minute gap where you might usually have done the old habit.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Burners

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 03:02:16 pm »
Thanks for this thread. At Day 4 and first day at work is good to be tomorrow, day 5. I guess my opener is one day at a time and goal one is 30 days
Non-smoking life commenced: 19th April 2018.
Smoking history: 17 years' chainsmoking - 10 v quiet day, 20 typical, 40 easy on a boozy night - and there were many, many boozy nights. Weapon of choice: roll ups.
Quit weapon of choice: cold turkey, hot baths, this forum!

Burners

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 03:04:28 pm »
Thanks for this thread!!! At Day 4 and first day at work is good to be tomorrow, day 5. I guess my opener is one day at a time and goal one is 30 days
Non-smoking life commenced: 19th April 2018.
Smoking history: 17 years' chainsmoking - 10 v quiet day, 20 typical, 40 easy on a boozy night - and there were many, many boozy nights. Weapon of choice: roll ups.
Quit weapon of choice: cold turkey, hot baths, this forum!

Enough42

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 05:45:21 am »
Wow, thems are big goals you’re setting yourself but if that works for you then great.  For me, each hour was a goal, then each day.  Start little and reward yourself often, well that’s what worked for me anyway.
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am