Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Terrible Odor After Quitting  (Read 523 times)

mrclose

Terrible Odor After Quitting
« on: April 04, 2018, 10:17:42 pm »
Hello Everyone!

Yep, A first time poster but a former 'lifetime' smoker! 006

I just up and quit smoking after indulging in the nasty habit for fifty years!
(It has been a month now!)

The problem and my question can probably be answered only by former smokers?

There is an overwhelming presence of an odor that won't go away that seems to be originating in my nostrils?
(I am not talking about odors on clothes or other objects.)

The closest I can get to a description of the odor is it is like the smell of old, burnt and wet wood!
(Does that make sense?)

At night, when trying to fall asleep, the odor is so strong that it is almost suffocating!

It's almost like the room is filling with smoke and I have to start mouth breathing ... No Jokes Please!

This 'odor' has taken away the true taste of any foods or beverages because as most folks know ... smell is a big part of taste.

I almost believe that a buildup of tar and nicotine in my nostrils from smoking over the years is responsible?
(Like the orange-yellowish gunk you get on clothes and walls)

You'd think that the odor would diminish but it seems to get stronger at times?

I DID stop smoking once before, about twenty years ago and never experienced this.
Don't get curious after you stop smoking and try a 'puff' for old times sake!

Smokers are like alcoholics, If you pick up a glass or cigarette after stopping, you will be back exactly where you left off!

Well anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem?

My 'other half' says ... "It's a brain tumor!" 009

tea

• Administrator
Re: Terrible Odor After Quitting
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:34:42 pm »
http://justquit.co.uk/index.php/topic,61.0.html

That's the link to where I had cut and paste exactly what I had posted when it happened to me. I do vividly remember being really upset about that fish I'd been looking forward to.  009 I thought people would think I was mad that it was coming from inside me!
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: mrclose

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
Re: Terrible Odor After Quitting
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 11:01:21 am »
Welcome to the forum @mrclose and congratulations on getting through your first month. That's truly brilliant and I hope you're suitably proud of yourself.  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer: 008 008

There are so many weird physical and psychological phenomena associated with quitting and what you're experiencing sounds perfectly normal. Effectively, your body has to re-boot and that takes time. You'll come out the other side of it I promise. I bet you're beginning to notice some of the amazing positive effects of quitting too aren't you?  :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: mrclose