Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Start of month four  (Read 2868 times)

Nicky40

Start of month four
« on: April 03, 2018, 11:42:55 am »
Hi everyone, I am now just into my fourth month and still going strong. Unfortunately I have not had a very good Easter break as I have had Laryngitis since Thursday and barely left my bed. Horrendous throat pain (not a chance I would want a cigarette) and no voice at all, as well as a few other things. I dont think I will be back to work for a few more days yet.  Plus side I haven't really been able to eat so lost 5 lbs  :)
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
Re: Start of month four
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 12:40:38 pm »
Oh @Nicky40 , that sounds horrid... some gentle hugs heading your way... :hug: :hug:

HUGE congratulations on reaching Month Four however! What a complete star you are.  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer: ;D ;D ;D
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: Nicky40

markmcclean1980

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 04:25:46 pm »
Well done @Nicky40 on reaching 4 months.  Sorry you aren’t feeling great but at least you aren’t miserable because you are smoking (or trying to smoke) through the sickness and feeling worse.  Feel better soon.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 07:18:26 pm »
Oh blimey! Have you had some difflam to gargle?
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Sally

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 07:58:55 pm »
Well done on your four months Nicky.  Hope you feel better soon. 
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Enough42

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 06:38:08 am »
Congratulations on reaching your fourth month Nicky but sorry to hear that you are so poorly! And it hit just in time for Easter.  I swear I’ve gained 5 lbs just from looking at all of the Easter eggs in our house.......this is the down side of having little kids around!! 005
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 10:33:50 am »
Well done @Nicky40 for reaching month 4. Be proud of yourself and when you are feeling better have a  008 or two

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 03:01:15 pm »
Well done @Nicky40 and @Gerti1 must be with you,4 months is hard going I know, and still early days for us. As I said to Mark, you've had a long ride on the roller coaster and have fell off but are back on again and still with us, if the craves have gone that's a bonus. I have had 2 weeks of coughs, cold, throat that wont clear, poor sleep and feeling drained. I could say like others have, that I felt better when I was smoking but healing 37 years of smoking takes time. Summers coming and i'm sure we will all be feeling better by then.007
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

Nicky40

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 08:38:38 pm »
@tea I don't know what difflam is?  :)
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

Nicky40

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 08:43:57 pm »
@Enough42 I am one of those people who is often ill around holidays, annoyinly. I don't have any small children but plenty of eggs I can't eat as throat is so sore.

Went to work today but they sent me home again and told me not to go in until next week. I'm really hoping this will start to shift soon as I still can't speak at all and I spend all night coughing.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 09:23:28 pm »
@tea I don't know what difflam is?  :)

Oh it's an anaesthetic and antiseptic mix. It comes in either a spray or a bottle of mouthwash you can gargle (it's labelled 'oral rinse'). For laryngitis the oral rinse is better (the spray doesn't get all the way round the hurty bits). You can buy over the counter at a pharmacy, but I once had a prescription and at the time it turned out cheaper to buy than the prescription cost. You shouldn't have a hot drink after you use it, it numbs you so you'll be at risk of scalding yourself; but it does relieve the pain. Plus the antiseptic part helps kill the bugs.

Nicky40

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 10:25:36 am »
Ah I see @tea I do have a 2 in 1 Covonia spray, I didn't know there was a rinse when I was at the chemist. I was also told to use soluble aspirin and gargle it but I have stopped using the aspirin as yesterday my eyes looked a little yellow and my nose keeps bleeding. Happily I slept better last night and the coughing doesn't hurt quite as much. Still can't talk though (which I'm sure some might say is a good thing  :D)

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 10:58:29 am »
Blimey you poor thing!! My lot are out of luck even when my voice goes; I just switch to BSL and if they don't know a particular sign I fingerspell things and then they have no excuse not to understand.

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 11:36:14 am »
Oh yes @Nicky40 ,the wife came back from Blackpool hol. with laryngitis, heaven for 4 days, down side is I'm still not 100% after 3 weeks but did go to bingo last night. The wife said 3 people told her I didn't look very well, if they hadn't slept properly for 3 weeks neither would they. The Pholcodine works well for a cough at night. But yesterday was the first hot sunny day where me and Ted had an hour sunbathing on the patio, felt good getting that vitamin D and driving out the S.A.D. syndrome, bloody freezing today though. Get well soon, I'm not used to being ill, I did have an M.O T. at the docs in 1977 and I was fine then.:)

Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

Glasgowgal

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 12:48:38 pm »
hi @Nicky40 and congrats getting to month 4! I quite like night nurse as it really helps you get a good nights sleep.  And hey everything is better when you've had a good nights sleep.  Hope you feel better soon  :hug:
Quit Date 6/11/17