Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 944 times)

Jdcross77

Hello
« on: April 02, 2018, 07:29:15 am »
Good morning, thanks for the add.

I’m james, 37, Dad of two about to quit proper (second time lucky). On day six of champix prescription building up to quit on Wednesday evening. I love my first and last rolly of the day however my eldest is nearly five now and it doesn’t seem right to be ducking out the back door when he surely knows what’s going on! I’m going to read up on the various posts and advice on here and welcome any advice from those in the same boat. I’m also here to support others where I can. My biggest concern is weight gain to be honest as I did turn full Alan Partridge toblerone scoffing after a few months. Too many chicken shops in south east London !! After that it’s avoiding what I did last time which is believing I was a social smoker and destroying all my efforts last time after 15 months of non-smoking. Any advice from those whom will struggle to give up trips to the pub also appreciated!

Best wishes, good luck everybody!

James

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:09:27 am »
Welcome to the forum James.  I also quit with Champix. I was always feeling sick with it and ended up taking half a dose. I was on it for about 4 months (from memory) and then told the GP I wasn't taking it any more.   It worked for me as I was a heavy smoker for a long time. Been quit over 5 years now so it can be done.

Glad you have learnt your lesson about 'just 1'  :D Many years ago I had 'just 1' to prove that I didn't need it anymore.  That's a joke isn't it 006

I put on a lot of weight, but I did eat a lot of chocolate when I quit, so don't do that :D   I suppose I also had age against me with weight gain.

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 09:19:00 am »
Hi James @Jdcross77  and welcome to the forum.

The people on this forum have a wealth of experiences, some good and some not so good when it comes to quitting. There is no hiding the fact that quitting is hard, bloody hard, BUT so rewarding and worthwhile.

Read past posts and please ask as many questions as you wish and someone will come along and try to answer them and probably from personal experience.

KK ;)

Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 09:28:02 am »
Welcome and I assure you that you will be in good company. We've had quite a few Champix quitters, but none of them seem to have had the racy dream side effect. It's so much easier and nicer being out with the kids as a non-smoker, especially places like the zoo and days out.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Sally

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 11:21:36 am »
Hi James and welcome to Just Quit.  I have to live by NOPE, not one puff ever.  My quits always failed before because I thought just one would ok! 

There are some very inspirational people here (wish I was one of them!) who have taken up running and cycling after quitting.  If you're able to, maybe it's time for a new hobby.

Good luck with your quit, let us know how you get on.
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 01:03:40 pm »
A Big Fat (nor not hopefully  :)) Welcome to the forum from me too @Jdcross77 .

I wasn't a Champix quitter but I do identify with the pub thing. I found I really had to stay on the wagon almost entirely for the first few months until my quit was properly established. Just think how fantastic you'll feel when you're not having to nip out to the smoking area any longer!  ;D

Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Glasgowgal

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 10:48:02 pm »
Welcome @Jdcross77 nice to meet you. Great youve found the forum, lots of support and very helpful information here. Make yourself at home  ;)
Quit Date 6/11/17

Enough42

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 06:17:31 am »
Hello @Jdcross77 and congratulations to taking what is probably the most important step in your quit.....signing up to this forum! I know a number of us recent quitters attribute our success to the forum so welcome! I am also a parent of 2 young kids. I’m so glad I’ve stopped for them.  I can now smell Parents (one dad in particular) who must clearly smoke just before leaving the house to pick the kids up from school and it’s not very cool is it to be honest? What sort of example do we want to set for our kids?

I also love a glass of wine or two or three.....although I don’t actually go to the pub. I wasn’t going to drink at the beginnning of my quit but frankly giving up both vices as the same time was too much of a stretch for me.  Maybe it is because I was drinking at home (where there are no fags to hand) made it easier to cope with.

Weight gain - yep I gained it but after 2/3 months I started exercising (running) for the first time in years and am now back to my pre-quitting weight....and still running because I enjoy it so much....never thought I’d hear myself say those words. If you are physically able to exercise, I would highly recommend it!!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

markmcclean1980

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 08:16:04 am »
Welcome to the forum @Jdcross77 it’s always nice to see a new member sign up.  I quit using ecig and I don’t drink very often so I can’t help you with either of those.  What I can do is to give you a lot of encouragement.  Plenty of the lovely people on this forum quit using Champix and they will give you lots of advice and support.  The most important thing you can do is read, read, read through previous posts.  You will soon see that a lot of members have done exactly what you are doing and have come out the other end.  You will do great.  This is your forever quit.

Nicky40

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 11:25:02 am »
Hi @Jdcross77  and welcome to the forum. Its a great place and you'll get lots of support on here. I did a two year quit then started again so I know how disheartening it is. Good luck.
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

Max414

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 01:13:45 pm »
Welcome James  008
Hope you stick around and use the resources and experience of the members here to quit this disgusting habit,for good  004
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Jdcross77

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 06:08:56 pm »
Thanks for all the supportive messages. Quit day is upon me, had a few strange days of champix effects including virtually no hit from the ciggies so going to have a couple of quiet pints and bin the remaining baccy I have in my possession on my way home.

Very glad I’ve found this site there is so much onbhere to keep me focused. Cheers

The following users thanked this post: Lostie

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 06:51:19 pm »
Good luck and remember that if you are having any wobbly moments you can always come on and post and someone will come along and give you a hand up.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Sally

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 08:17:54 pm »
Good luck from me too, hope day one of the quit goes well. 
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 10:56:40 am »
Cheering you on your way @Jdcross77  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...