Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: In my 4th month, there is a difference but still having issues  (Read 1162 times)

Millie

Well after 4 months i cannot hear my lungs going snap crackle and pop when i go to sleep, they no longer whistle, i can play my instrument longer, however, i just cannot clear the phlegm from my throat, i have to make horrid noises to try and bring it up, it is stuck in my throat-tubes, somewhere and it is so sticky and tarry it wishes to stay,  i try some sugar free menthol sweets/gum to try and help it clear which it does momentarily.

I have been coughing up so much tarry phlegm for the last 4 months I am surprised my little lungs can hold so much! if anyone has any advice on this please help.. it really is getting me down and exhausted.
Cigarette smoker for 37 years cannabis on and off for 8 years, stopped the latter 6 years ago, cigs stopped Nov 2017.

tea

• Administrator
Re: In my 4th month, there is a difference but still having issues
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 11:22:47 am »
Well you could speak to a pharmacist about an expectorant. Another thing you could try is upping your garlic intake and drinking hot ginger and lemon. Steam in the room can help sometimes too.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 11:23:29 am »
Oh and Fisherman's Friends in case it is a Greek monster issue.

Nicky40

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 11:52:45 am »
Hi @Millie I would suggest going to the doctors as they may be able to help.  This sounds like what I had last quit and this one, post nasal drip - just excess mucus.  It did just disappear eventually but took a while, over 6 month in my case.  I went to the doctors the first time and she gave me antihistamine nasal spray but unfortunately I started getting headaches so stopped using it.  Could be something completely different but the doctor will check your lung function and do other tests if required.

Well done on 4 months, that's great.   007
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

Glasgowgal

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 06:01:51 pm »
Well done completing three months. But sorry you are having a horrid time of it. Ive not experienced what you are describing. But it sounds awful. I would go to the doctor and see if they can give you something that might help. Keep us posted and i hope you feel better soon  007
Quit Date 6/11/17

Max414

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 12:06:07 pm »
37 years of inhaling tar and poison takes a bit of clearing out,Millie.
The fabulous news is that your body is doing just that,so please be patient and take the great advice given above  :foundbeer:
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Gerti1

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 01:19:39 pm »
Hi @Millie
I also coughed up the nasty brown stuff and I also had the crackled wheeze at bedtime, isn't it fab when it goes away, I found it quite frightening. I now have a constant strange cough where its like I need to clear my throat and this has been constant the last few weeks. I see it all as one big plus :D
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

The following users thanked this post: Millie

Sally

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 09:27:51 pm »
Well done for getting to month four, that's great.

There are lots of coldl/flu viruses around at the moment which seem to take ages to clear up so I wonder if it's a combination of giving up smoking and one of the many viruses around.  It's definitely worth seeing your GP or a pharmacist if you're concerned.
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Helene

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 11:13:53 pm »
You are doing so well.

4 months is awesome, I hope you jump up and down in joy.  I am grinning.

your body is slowly healing itself.  Imagine, it was not only your mouth and lung but all your digestive system and blood.

Have you notice that your skin is pinker?  Now that I am a non smoker I see the gray tone in smoker.

Drink cold water, it helped me.

Helene
smoke free for 4 years 2  months
( smoked for 35 years, 25 a day)

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 12:22:58 pm »
Well done @Millie , that's fantastic!! Here's to all that gunk leaving your lungs. I know just what you mean about your lungs no longer whistling. It's a wonderful feeling isn't it?

;D ;D ;D :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 08:35:07 pm »
Very well done @Millie , my quit meter is showing 4 months after 37 years of cancer sticks. I seem to be clearing my self of phlegm the last week or it may have been a slight cold but all is well. As Max says 37 years of gunk takes some shifting, but only 4 months and what a difference, wish we had done it 36 years ago.:)
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

Millie

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 10:29:52 am »
Update:
HELP! I want a cigarette or at least to try one. :-[

i have not wanted one since i packed up smoking in November, psychologically my head is thinking, perhaps if i had one it may help cough up whatever keeps getting stuck in my  throat, it is almost like i have to gurgle or scratch my throat with itself to help bring it up- what a noise! 009  I am unable to take expectorants, fishies friends or anything due to the diabetes, I am sucking on sugar free mints but now they are no use due to being 90% carbohydrate and that sends my sugars through the roof, i cannot have many carbs at all and that is not easy i can tell you :( i don't have a cold or anything else that i know of, my OH, hmm, kind of, keeps telling me, you should have a fag and be done with it, wow what a vote of confidence, he smokes like a chimney and not in the house since i packed up, gosh, he smells like an ashtray! ugh. All i wish to do is cough up this sticky phlegm!!
Cigarette smoker for 37 years cannabis on and off for 8 years, stopped the latter 6 years ago, cigs stopped Nov 2017.

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 11:37:10 am »
Hi @Millie , I'm also at 4 months quit after 37 years trouble free smoking, so we are now getting problems with gunk stuck at the back of my throat that doesn't want to shift. Its a pita and you think I was fine smoking, maybe that would clear it. Well I think it would only be more tar to shift. Iv'e come back off holiday with a cough and cold which has made things worse, but have a think of the benefit points you have reached, you smell good, smokers don't ,you have more energy, you have more money, i'm not wheezing, the list goes on, my app says I haven't smoked 4000  cancer sticks and ive saved £1400.I know you worry that now you have quit the cancer you dread will show its face as you think you have masked it all these years, well I think that would happen smoking or not. My wife also worried I would have a heart attack now ive stopped smoking, but we've got to give our body's a chance to recover so live every day like its your first. Your OH only wants you to join him so he doesn't feel so guilty, well don't fall for it. As for the throat i'm taking sugar free PHOLCODINE sold at every independent chemist in the country, its great and really helps and hot water and lemon juice through the day, but check with the chemist if its ok for you. You don't need a smoke, your not craving one,it will make things worse, you just need something to clear your throat, and a fag is not it. Keep shouting, I'm suffering with you.007
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

The following users thanked this post: TG, Glasgowgal

TG

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 12:08:50 pm »
Hi @Millie well done for being 4 months quit. That one hell of an achievement!

Don't let this thought I your head build up to much. Believe me the thought of smoking is nothing like the reality of smoking. It will never be just one. That is a lie. That your addiction is trying to get you to cave. Your body is healing it self, it takes time.

I have done the right thing to come back on here. If you have to go back to basics. Read posts on here build your resolve back up. Keep going Millie and as  LCD has said keep remembering the positives. There are many that you will already be seeing  006
Quit Date: 04-04-2014

You don’t need cigarettes to be complete. All the happiness, comfort and peace you seek, is already inside you.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 12:18:36 pm »
I had that horrible feeling at 4 months; it's the Greek monster trying to trick you. It's really frustrating but it does pass.