Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: 7 weeks  (Read 1117 times)

Gerti1

7 weeks
« on: February 24, 2018, 09:00:31 am »
7 weeks today I stopped putting a cancer stick in my mouth. Because I have fallen off the wagon on previous attempts I decided to do things a little differently this time, 1, I will ask for help if I am wobbling as I am deadly for keeping quiet when things get tough, 2, I paid to see a therapist for a couple of weeks to help me at the very beginning when things are usually rocky, 3, I used lower dose patch, 4, I read stop smoking books and finish them whereas in the past I would put them down half way through. I wanted to change my approach this time because my addicted mind would say that you have done it this way before and then you fail at this point !!! whereas now we are in a new territory so to speak.

Where am I at 7 weeks ? I am doing so well and feeling extremely proud of myself. The first week or 2 was the hardest and I took it hour by hour and sometimes minute by minute but by the 3rd week there was a lift in how I felt. Weeks 4,5 and 6 felt like I had just started a new job and you feel everything is rather new and unknown but it was do-able and some lovely days started to appear every now and then. This past week has been even better and I have started to remove my patch earlier in the evening as I feel so settled. I am very aware that I must not get complacent especially when reducing the NRT as it has been a crutch that I relied on so I am going very slowly with it and keeping lozenges on standby in case I wobble, I am not in any rush.

I do still have tough mornings where the debating starts in my head but once I notice I am doing it I just acknowledge it and change what I am doing, the distraction helps and this is a mindfullness/cbt tactic that works very well.

For those of you who are in the early days, please hang in there as your life will feel so much better very soon, thats a promise.

I am off to a Jumble Sale this morning for a good rummage :D
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

The following users thanked this post: Nicky40

breakingfree

Re: 7 weeks
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:28:54 am »
Great post, I can identify with so much of it Thanks @Gerti1  007
Quit date 18 Jan 2018.
Cold turkey and Allen Carr's book and forum support

Glasgowgal

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 10:29:31 am »
Youre doing great @Gerti1 its like you are doing everything you should be doing! Good for you. I remember @LAST CHANCE SALOON once said something along the lines of if im on the patches forever and it keeps me off the fags, so be it. I was on the patches at the time and thought, yeah that right, i liked that way of thinking. The patches are soooo amazing and they are definitely working for you. Have a lovely day and i hope you bag a bargain  ;)
Quit Date 6/11/17

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 11:27:49 am »
Very well done @Gerti1 ,how well your doing. Well I don't think many of us are first time quitters and should have some memories of what it was like not to smoke last time around. The thing this time is we have friends on here that will keep us going, we are not going through this again,we're not on our own and folk here are in all stages of their quit, and you know it just keeps getting easier. I would be happier a lozenge addict than a cancer stick. There are more smokers fall of the wagon than stay on it, so fasten your seat belt and hold tight.007
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

Sally

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 12:56:39 pm »
Brilliant news @Gerti1 and a great post.  Let us know if you find any bargains!
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Nicky40

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 02:28:25 pm »
Well done @Gerti1 , fab post.  So pleased to hear you are feeling so good now.  I agree after those first 1-3 weeks are over it gets easier. Did you find any bargains this morning?  007
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

Gerti1

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 08:06:58 am »
I had a fab time at the Jumble and bagged some smashing books and knitting patterns. One of the books is full of fabulous knitted bears so I have my needles out and have started on this one :)
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

The following users thanked this post: Nicky40

Enough42

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 06:34:29 am »
Congratulations on your 7 weeks @Gerti1 and, perhaps more importantly, for identifying your previous downfalls and putting mechanisms in place to ensure it doesn’t happen again. You are all geared up and ready to go! Love the bear.  Please post a photo of your end product!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 12:58:33 pm »
Well done our @Gerti1 - I can see that Mr Nic's loss is going to be Mr Bear's gain.... ;D
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Gerti1

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 08:00:23 pm »
Been a little wobbly on and off for a few days, mainly mornings. Been a bit anxious and the nic debate keeps trying to chirp up but soon as I notice it I distract myself. I am cutting down the hours that I use the patch but only by a few hours per day, I was meant to be travelling to Taunton this morning so that has been worrying me since Weds and on top of that I am a bit hormonal so all in all I am unsure why I have been having wobbles but I do know that it will pass :D
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

Glasgowgal

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 08:05:03 pm »
Its been a funny ol week with this weather @Gerti1 ive had a few cravings myself but i think its been boredom more than anything! Youre still early days hun so if you need to keep the patch on just do so. But you sound like you know what youre doing. What mg are you on? Hope you have a good weekend are you baking any cakes?
Quit Date 6/11/17

Gerti1

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 07:47:13 am »
I think you are right regarding the boredom it can be lethal. No baking this week but lots of embroidery. I am on 14 mg patch :)
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018