Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Nasal drip  (Read 2699 times)

Nicky40

Nasal drip
« on: February 06, 2018, 02:23:10 pm »
Just wanted to mention this symptom on here as I have it (again) and it drives me mental - last quit I don't think I ever really figured out what it was but it took a long time to stop, at least I think it did otherwise I just got used to it!  Lasted months though, if not over a year.  I did go to the docs and they just said it was due to the cilia in my throat recovering and to ignore it.  That's easier said than done as I am constantly throat clearing, coughing and sniffing! The never ending cold!

Anyway having researched this loads on the internet I am going to try antihistamines this time and see if it helps.  I will post again on this thread updates.
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

Kat73

• Administrator
Re: Nasal drip
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 03:22:06 pm »
The very first time I quit, back in my twenties, I had cold after cold for well over a year so this time around I was prepared and tried to pre-empt things by upping my fruit and veg intake, regularly taking a wide spectrum supplement and occasionally hitting the echinacea when nasties threatened.

It'll be bothering you worse after your slip at the weekend (prodding the sleeping beast tends to reawaken all the symptoms we most hate) but it WILL die down given time. 

Let us know if you find the antihistamine helps at all.
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

The following users thanked this post: Nicky40

Glasgowgal

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 03:24:15 pm »
I find a glass of wine or anything alcoholic helps most ailments  ;)
Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: Sally, Nicky40, Enough42, breakingfree

Nicky40

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 04:13:50 pm »
@Kat73 I have had this since the cold a couple of weeks ago, which reminded me of the last time (though can't have been that bad as I had pretty much forgotten).  A couple of the ex smokers I know are horrendous sniffers/throat clearers and I really hope this is only temporary, months even but not years.  Crossing fingers the antihistamines will help, I had a nasal spray last quit for it but I kept getting awful headaches so stopped using it.  I even just went back on the old site hunting for my posts about it to see how long it lasted.

Ha ha @Glasgowgal very true.  :)
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 05:55:52 pm »
Mr S is prone to nasal polyps (sorry- probably too much info really- they run in his family- no pun intended  :-[) but the point being the symptoms are exactly what you describe @Nicky40 . It used to drive him particularly bonkers at this time of year as he is allergic to alder and hazel pollen (and this is the height of the early spring pollen season). Another symptom is persistent sore throats. Anyway, he was eventually referred to an ENT consultant who prescribed an anti-histamine nasal spray which shrank said polyps and relieved his symptoms no end. He still clears his throat a lot, but at least he doesn't drip ( :P) and can breath properly.

Might be worth getting it checked out as nasal polyps are very treatable either by medication and/or surgery if necessary.
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 06:03:00 pm »
.....sorry, it's been a long tiring day at work and I saw the title and thought this was going to be about NG tubes and I'm glad to see it's not. It's always worth seeing if your GP will make an ENT referral for your postnasal drip as there are a few reasons it could be happening which could be easily identified and rectified by an ENT, but a GP wouldn't be able to see.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Enough42

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 06:24:42 pm »
I find a glass of wine or anything alcoholic helps most ailments  ;)

You’re sooo my kinda gal @Glasgowgal.

Sorry I can’t offer anything on the drippy thing Nicky!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

The following users thanked this post: Nicky40, Glasgowgal

Glasgowgal

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 06:39:22 pm »
Ha! Its true though isnt it  :) im nursing a good day with a whisky and coke zero right now  ;)

Those nasal polyps, my pal had them thats a good shout. But strange it just pops up when you quit. But yep maybe just have to really push for ENT ear nose throat consultant if it persists because sounds rubbish.
Quit Date 6/11/17

Gerti1

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 08:36:02 pm »
I had the nasty flu over Christmas and had been fine until today about 4 pm and now my nose wont stop running !!! I am eating so many vegetables and Vit C loaded foods so shall just plod on and see how we go :)
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

Nicky40

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 08:43:50 pm »
There are loads of colds doing the rounds @Gerti1 so hopefully just that in your case.

After I saw the doctor last time it started to ease on its own and as it can be caused by quitting smoking as a temporary problem. If it keeps on too long I will go back for a referral to the ENT dept.

Thank you all for reading and commenting

The following users thanked this post: Gerti1

Gerti1

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 08:52:40 pm »
I find it really does help to ask others on here for their views. When I quit before I just allowed dug myself into a lonely pit, did not reach out to others and failed, I do not intend to make that mistake again so be prepared lol :D
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

Sally

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 08:58:24 pm »
I don't have any helpful suggestions, I'm rubbish! But I really do hope you get it sorted soon.
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 09:18:45 pm »
LOL @Gerti1 ....if it's ever advice on an NG tube feed or a PEG with a mickey lock, I'm ready!! But I sincerely hope I never have to be giving that kind of advice to any of you.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Nick_82

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 09:53:53 pm »
Sorry to hear about the drip @Nicky40, I hope it gets well soon. Sorry I’ve not got any advice but I bet it’s a pain so make sure you get the GP to check it out

Gerti1

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 08:24:45 am »
Lol @tea I hope not

@Nicky40 My right nostril has stopped dripping !! so this could be this nasal drip thing. I have days where I also cant clear my throat and I sound like Bonnie Tyler :D
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

The following users thanked this post: tea