Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 9 and all is fine!  (Read 2360 times)

Weebeastie

Re: Day 9 and all is fine!
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2018, 08:47:35 pm »
It's such a good book isn't it?!  And to think that alcohol is a massive cancer-causer too but nobody ever talks about it.  Totally true too that alcohol is the only addictive substance that we have to explain not taking! 

Just a quick update too that I'm almost through day 19 here and my quit smoking app on my phone says I've not smoked 283 cigarettes.....can you even imagine having that many roll-ups lying on the table and smoking them all!  Crazy!!  I randomly also had my first small glass of wine last night - which is odd given the book we're all reading.....but I only had one glass and didn't smoke.....normally I'd chain smoke and seldom stop before the whole bottle had gone.  I avoided using a wine glass which oddly made a difference!  I don't fancy a glass this evening and am quite prepared to pour the bottle down the sink if it sits there too long!

My son is at his dads this weekend so I am hammering the sewing machine....got some new Cath Kidston fabrics and they are selling like mad so I'm keeping myself busy.

Sending you all lots of love xxx

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal

Glasgowgal

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 12:01:27 am »
One chapter left. I think i will re read again just so it all sinks in. It is amazing and totally shocking as well.

How did you feel about having the one glass of wine? The book is really all or nothing. Like @Gerti1 says you can relate it a lot to our quitting smoking. Id feel like if i switched to drinking in 'modereration' (as opposed to heavily or emotionally dependant) id be disregarding everything in the book. I wish the book said we could drink like say twice a month ha still one chapter left u never know she might say that lol

So day 19 for you. Few days you ll be moving into week 4. Youre plodding along quietly but going great @Weebeastie . Are you feeling better when you are running? I felt my breathing improve when i was swimming amazing early in my quit i was so chuffed about that

Here a pic of the cat that never came near when i smoked who'd have thought it not me

Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: Weebeastie

Enough42

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 07:33:51 am »
Oooooh @Glasgowgal do tell more about the book when you get a chance. Now that you’ve read it, is it something that you’re glad you’ve read or has it taken away the enjoyment of blissful ignorance when having a glass of wine? I’m actually doing okay cutting back on my own. I let my head go last night though....well it was Saturday night wasn’t it?!

Gosh @Weebeastie you really are just motoring along on your quit. How fantastic that you’re being kept so busy.  Who doesn’t love a Cath Kidston fabric!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Gerti1

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 08:21:02 am »
Well done @Weebeastie you are doing so well, I salute you :D I have recently started sewing again and mad a fab quilt for our youngest grandson recently, I also now have an embroidery machine and I love it.

@Glasgowgal It will probably take me another week or so to finish the book. Since I started my trying to quit fags journey which was some years back, I started looking at my friends who drink with different eyes and could more or less pick out those I felt had a problem growing and those that actually seemed to enjoy their drink and could take it or leave it, I think thats why I wanted to read this book.

I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 08:33:09 am »
Oh I do love a Cath Kidson thing or two! I liked the set with the strawberries and I had the ironing board cover, the laundry bag and the oven gloves. My mug I drink my tea from is one of hers. I never thought to buy the fabric and make anything from scratch though.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: Gerti1, Weebeastie

Glasgowgal

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2018, 10:21:50 am »
Oooooo its going to be an interesting week re the ol drinking. Im not sure whats going to happen. So i will report back this week to see if it has changed my drinking habits and my enjoyment of drinking....that is, if i have a drink!!!!! Pretty daunting idea that i might not have a drink this week. But today is sunday, thats normally one bottle of wine consumed by me, helps me sleep ye know  ::). But right now it feels so nonsensical to pick up that bottle of wine...but will see what happens around dinner time as thats normally when id go to shops.

See the horrible inner turmoil when you want to cut down your drinking but arent able to, you always end up having the wine. The books saying that turmoil is the conscious mind not wanting to drink but you subconscious mind is soooooooo programmed to want to drink thats why you always fail. Im a strong person and ive vowed a million times i wont drink this week and ive never managed it. Its crazy but now it makes a lot more senseto me. Id be a fool to not try and implement the ideas in this book as whats the alternative...continued problem drinking that only gets worse over time.

Hey i might have my bottle of wine tonight who knows we will see!! Ill re read the book over the week. See how i get on. Then ill post it to you next weekend if you fancy it @Enough42 but i would really enjoy your wine this week ha savour every sip  008

Well its row time for me then we will see what tonight brings!!!!!
Quit Date 6/11/17

Enough42

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 06:22:41 am »
Eeeeek....... now I’m scared @Glasgowgal but also captivated by the effect of the book.  You don’t have to send it to me (very sweet of you to offer), I can get off my lazy butt and buy one of my own. I must admit that I only had 2 glasses of wine last night (rather than what would normally be most of a bottle) but I think that has more to do with being calorie aware! Anyway, let me know how you get on! It’s half term this week so I’m definitely not going to read it (or try to not have wine) this week!!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 06:55:57 pm »
Look what I got for my mummy who loves hedgehogs!! Well, apart from the time a real life hedgehog tried to climb into her bed, but I'm still pretty sure it was because she got him out to play with him in the night.  Thank you @Weebeastie it is perfect and I expect she will use it to keep her buttons in.

12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: Skiddaw, Sally

Weebeastie

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 09:30:32 pm »
Look what I got for my mummy who loves hedgehogs!! Well, apart from the time a real life hedgehog tried to climb into her bed, but I'm still pretty sure it was because she got him out to play with him in the night.  Thank you @Weebeastie it is perfect and I expect she will use it to keep her buttons in.

Haha @tea, I didn't realise you bought one of my pencil cases!  I love that vintage hedgehog fabric :)  :)  :)

Burners

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2018, 10:36:56 pm »
I quit alcohol for a bit because of illness and have been surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. Got a br bored of drinking all the time, can still go to parties etc." And have fun. Really helping with this quit too.
Non-smoking life commenced: 19th April 2018.
Smoking history: 17 years' chainsmoking - 10 v quiet day, 20 typical, 40 easy on a boozy night - and there were many, many boozy nights. Weapon of choice: roll ups.
Quit weapon of choice: cold turkey, hot baths, this forum!