Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 9 and all is fine!  (Read 2362 times)

Gerti1

Re: Day 9 and all is fine!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 04:36:28 pm »
I find any addiction book helpful and as you the reviews on this book were very good so I ordered a copy @Weebeastie
I rarely drink, probably 1 or 2 glasses a year these days but we have a friend whose wife is battling the drink and I would like to read it as it may help them and also gives me more of an insight into our addictive minds. :)
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

The following users thanked this post: Weebeastie

Glasgowgal

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 08:46:38 pm »
Im happy to post on the book after i read it btw so if you can wait a few weeks anyone, hangfire  ;)
Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: Enough42, Weebeastie

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 08:18:52 pm »
Speaking of quitting books, I ordered a couple more when I hit a wall in my quit.  Of course, by the time they arrived the crisis was well and truly over, but I'd be happy to pass them on if anyone would like them.  I know one was the follow up to Allen Carr's The Easyway to Stop Smoking which was written for us stupid fools who had quit once using his method and then got ourselves back under the stinky yellow thumb again and I think the other was the Kristina Ivings book, I'll have to go check.

If any folks do want books passed on to them, can I suggest in the interests of internet safety that they are posted care of a third party at a non-residential address (ie to your brother-in-law's office or your sister's local corner shop), with their permission of course, so as to protect yourselves.
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Gerti1

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 07:17:29 pm »
My copy of This Naked Mind arrived and thank you @Weebeastie as I am finding it very helpful and although I have only just started reading it I am really struck by the authors thoughts on alcohol, She thought it enhanced her creativity, made her funnier and more outgoing, allowed her to enjoy social situations, relieved her stress at the end of a long day and comforted her when things went wrong, she felt she would never be able to relax without a glass of wine and that social situations would be boring and even depressing without a drink !!!
I think this is going to be a very good read :)   
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

The following users thanked this post: Enough42, Weebeastie

Glasgowgal

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 07:32:48 pm »
Im still waiting for my book, i thought it would have arrived by now. But im onto a good week so far no booze saturday, monday and tonight... which is great going for me. Im gona try my best to get to four dry days per week. I was wondering which three days you folks drink? I think id prefer not consecutive days, or not all three days consecutive. I like a wee cheeky mid week sesh  ;) hopefully i get my book soon too then if yours arrived.
Quit Date 6/11/17

Gerti1

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 07:50:29 pm »
It should be with you soon @Glasgowgal . I rarely if ever drink anymore, maybe 1 glass of scotch every 3 years. I bought the book as I wanted to see if there were any similarities to quitting nicotine and it looks like there is kk
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal

Enough42

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 08:40:13 pm »
Gosh @Gerti1 I’m hooked on the book already.  Okay maybe I’ll have to spend a few pounds and acquire it for myself! And I’m incredibly jealous of your “scotch every 3 year’s” ambivalence! I remember being in my late 20s and really wanting to enjoy wine like others enjoyed it and now that I am more than well and truly comfortably at that point, I wish I was back to my original ambivalent-to-wine self. Typical! I’ve definitely got an addictive nature though. As a kid it was fingernails, then fags and now booze!

@Glasgowgal I’m afraid that I drink on consecutive nights. It’s probably because I drink wine and I’m not that keen on leaving an opened bottle of wine for more than a day before I think it will have gone “off”. But if you can successfully finish a whole bottle in one night without a worry (cripes, how many calories is that....I don’t even want to think about it....probably 4 days worth of running!) then go for it!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 09:15:57 pm »
Speaking of quitting books, I ordered a couple more when I hit a wall in my quit.  Of course, by the time they arrived the crisis was well and truly over, but I'd be happy to pass them on if anyone would like them.  I know one was the follow up to Allen Carr's The Easyway to Stop Smoking which was written for us stupid fools who had quit once using his method and then got ourselves back under the stinky yellow thumb again and I think the other was the Kristina Ivings book, I'll have to go check.

If any folks do want books passed on to them, can I suggest in the interests of internet safety that they are posted care of a third party at a non-residential address (ie to your brother-in-law's office or your sister's local corner shop), with their permission of course, so as to protect yourselves.

Aw....I like it when people meet wearing rain coats in a public place and use their pre-agreed code phrases....."the pheasant has no agenda"....
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: Gerti1

Gerti1

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 08:08:27 am »
@Enough42 as a kid my addictions started with fancy knickers from BHS then fags then booze.

Sometimes, usually during the lovely summer months I fancy a large scotch with some loud music but Its been a while.

Alcohol is definitely another addictive product that we have all been led a merry dance with. We had a friend who started drinking a little more in his 40's and by 53 he was gone. His demise has always stayed with me as he was our neighbour and we watched as he and his family's life went down the pan. It was awful and maybe that has a connection with why I grew tired of alcohol. We now have another friend whose marriage has fell to pieces due to the wife's drinking so I am hoping the book will shed some light as to why her 'normal' social drinking has got out of hand. It really is an interesting book.
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

Enough42

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 09:11:57 am »
Fancy knickers @Gerti1 - do tell!!!

I can see how the alcohol slide happens. Some days over the last couple of years I’ve found myself reaching for that glass of wine every night and then earlier and earlier so that’s why I’m making a really conscious effort to reign it back in. It is a slippery slope.  Just like nicotine addiction albeit one that is more socially acceptable.
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Nicky40

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 10:08:23 am »
Addiction worry was one of the reasons (as well as quitting smoking) that I sort of did dry January as on a normal Friday I get home from work at 5pm and pour a drink, would probably have anything between 6-10 before bed and do the same on Saturday evening.  I thought I would miss it but I didn't which surprised me so now I am only really drinking half that if any on a weekend when I stay home.

I also get carried away with online bingo/slots so have to set limits as my self control is not great.  With that addictive personality it was kind of obvious I would also be a smoker, unfortunately.
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

Glasgowgal

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 05:33:51 pm »
So i started the book today and ive read two chapters and i want to keep reading and reading! But she suggests just 1 or 2 chapters a day to let it all sink in. Ahhhhh! Im dying to binge read it all tonight! So far so good, really enjoying it. And i really hope it makes a difference for me. Im going to take my time with it and do it properly. But might read one more chapter tonight! Thanks for the recommendation @Weebeastie
Quit Date 6/11/17

Gerti1

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 07:56:29 pm »
Fancy knickers were sold in BHS and I bought a pair a week back in the 70's, ended up with dozens of them. @Enough42

Love Tombola @Nicky40 my SIL won 2k and I think 4k over the past 3 years, I don't win very much.

Glad the book arrived @Glasgowgal it is spookily similar to nicotine addiction.
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

The following users thanked this post: Nicky40

Glasgowgal

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 08:24:05 pm »
Im blasting through it @Gerti1 im on page 104  ::)  Should i stop? Im just enjoying reading it and dont want to stop....
Quit Date 6/11/17

Gerti1

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 08:26:27 pm »
I would just read it and then maybe read it through again, its a super book.
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018