Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Well hello Day 4!!  (Read 906 times)

Weebeastie

Well hello Day 4!!
« on: January 26, 2018, 10:03:40 am »
Such a wonderful feeling to wake up knowing that you've defeated smoking yet again.  I think everyone feels different when quitting.  Some need to go through feeling pretty rough and a lot of coughing before the good stuff comes and i can imagine that's much harder).
I am lucky on this quit, i have abandoned the notion that i need to quit at any cost which means that it's not acceptable for me to replace my cravings with eating junk or drinking more.  For me, stopping smoking is partly about breaking a chemical addiction to nicotine but more about valuing myself and no longer accepting anything less than amazing.
Running makes me feel amazing but I have never run any distance as a non-smoking adult.
Hillwalking is essential for my mental wellbeing but even years in the mountain rescue were done as a smoker.
I was a soldier in the TA but smoking made me look weak when it came to fitness.
Smoking has robbed me of my confidence, it has stolen years of my life, it is a culmination of every demon from my past that still wants to control me but, you know what, I don't deserve to live like that any more.  I don't deserve to be held back and made to look weak because, in truth, I am the opposite.  I am very strong and I deserve to move out of the mediocre shadows, abandon my comfort zone with the other smokers and for once in my life, actually achieve something amazing!!
I feel like I'm waffling a bit but it feels really good to get this stuff out in the open.  I struggle less with nicotine cravings and more with the comfort and familiarity of smoking a roll-up.  Smoking has been with me all of my adult life, it has punctuated my day for so long that the habit is hard to break.  I am driven by the certainty that further up the road is a time when i will not want to smoke, when there is no place for it in my life and my craving for nicotine has been replaced with much healthier habits.

So, i'll plod on through day 4, poised and ready in my karate stance because when those cravings attack - I cannot let them knock me over.  Stay strong everyone xx  :hug:

The following users thanked this post: tea, Kat73, KitKat, Sally, Nicky40, Phil Coulson, LAST CHANCE SALOON

Kat73

• Administrator
Re: Well hello Day 4!!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 10:09:51 am »
Fabulous positive post, that kind of attitude is exactly what you need to get you through the tough times  :)

We've got a fair few who are into pretty active pursuits - some before they quit, some that took stuff up while they were quitting - so you'll have company here to talk physical benefits with.  Our @Skiddaw is the fell walker, @Angrybear is the marathon runner (I think we have a couple more these days), @Phil Coulson is the cyclist and @hellerscatch likes her fitness classes.

Having fought your way through the first three days successfully, do you have any special plans for Day 4?
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

The following users thanked this post: Weebeastie

Titch

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 10:19:29 am »
Sounds like your head is really in the right place Weebeastie and that is exactly what you need to get through these early days and each early day you get through is another step in the right direction to enjoying a wonderful smoke free life.

Keep on doing what you are doing because it sounds like you are definitely doing it right.
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

Weebeastie

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 10:23:50 am »
Haha @Kat73 , I don't think i'll be running marathons any time soon.....I'm like an old knackered bullock when i run but love being up in the hills (and no-one sees me up there)!

No special plans for today, I run a sewing business from home and have orders coming out of my eyeballs but yesterday my sewing machine died so awaiting delivery of a new one today.  In the meantime I shall enjoy a rare few hours of doing very little apart from watching the birds on the garden feeders and drinking my bodyweight in tea!

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 10:27:20 am »
Hi @Weebeastie  ;D

Hurrah- another fell walker!!!  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer: (I also run so we have that in common too).

Where are you based? Where do you usually walk? Which Mountain Rescue team were you with? (we are not worthy....)

And....HUGE congratulations on your quit and on  such a truly inspirational post.  :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Bladeflyer

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 10:31:36 am »
Good Morning Weebeastie,

All sounds bang on the mark to me , having all the toxins in our bodies  , inflammation / reduced lung capacity et al , from smoking holds us all back and disadvantages us in every aspect of our lives  . The first 2 days in a quit to me are by far the the hardest - but I firmly believe once they are behind you Nico Demon has been kicked where it hurts and is whimpering in a corner and is getting weaker with each subsequent day that passes. Drink plenty of water to flush all the nasties out and keep on keeping on with your exercise regime / outdoor pursuits .  Looking forward to you telling us in just 3 days time  how you have put a whole week behind you . WELL DONE !!  :foundbeer:

Weebeastie

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:57:13 am »
Hi @Weebeastie  ;D

Where are you based? Where do you usually walk? Which Mountain Rescue team were you with? (we are not worthy....)

I'm based just over the hill from Llangollen in North Wales so i have a 5k running circuit that i was doing every morning (just up into the hills by my house) but I gave up when the weather got really bleak!  I have dreams of walking the Welsh coastline one day but will have to wait until my 7 year old son is older i think (although he's been running the 5k circuit with me since he was 3 - we have a similar pace)!  The hills around here are glorious for long walks.

My mountain rescue time was served up in Scotland in the Cheviot hills with the Borders unit.  I was the only female member at that time and we did a lot of training weekends with the Lake District and Cairngorm teams.  I can't describe how amazing it was, your beeper going off and having to rush to the police station to find out what the emergency was before heading out on rescues. I got to fly in rescue helicopters and be winched onto hilltops, walk miles through deep snow to rescue stranded people on my own, work with the SARDA dogs etc but all the time i was held back from reaching my full potential because of my addiction to smoking.  When i moved to North Wales, my Team Leader suggested that he contact the Snowdon rescue team about me joining them but I knew I wasn't fit enough - those guys are serious!! Who knows where i could be now if i hadn't smoked. It really has held me back so many times.

I guess smoking gives me an excuse not to really apply myself, I've always had it there as an excuse for being average at everything.  I never tried hard enough to fail before so stopping smoking is a daunting prospect for many reasons!

The following users thanked this post: KitKat

Glasgowgal

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 11:38:40 am »
wow wee beastie, the smoking really has held you back.  Its unusual to really witness smoking holding someone back in their job but its really apparent in your case.  But I tell you what, that is and will give you so much motivation.  Do you think that could be a goal....joining the Snowdon rescue team?  What a fantastic goal that would be!!!!!!! I wish that was my goal, much cooler and funner than not getting cancer ha!  Listen you sound far from average, maybe you are too hard on yourself, running 5k daily and getting your son into it also...and all the adventures you have had....sounds like you are doing great.
Quit Date 6/11/17

Gerti1

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 12:23:04 pm »
Such an inspirational post, fantastic stuff. I would just like to say ''You rock'' kk
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

Max414

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 12:41:45 pm »
Great post,Kerry  8)
Quitting is like walking along a tightrope-to begin with,it's very thin and very perilous and exhausting at times to stay on and not just jump off and think 'sod it' but miraculously, the longer you stay on the tightrope the wider it gets until it's so wide that it no longer is a tightrope  004

Great to see you in our quiz already,too !  :vader:
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Nicky40

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 12:43:18 pm »
What a great post @Weebeastie , you seem very determined which is great.   :foundbeer:

One thing I noticed pretty early after quitting was time, you seem to have loads more of it once you quit - it's surprising how much time is spent smoking, or thinking about smoking.  Think about days out, the zoo for example, the last time I went I spent most of my time looking for smoking area signs and getting more and more stressed when I couldn't find one.  It ruins days out.
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 01:42:46 pm »
Keep going!! kk   kk   kk   kk
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Phil Coulson

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 02:45:38 pm »
What a positive attitude, over halfway through week 1 which is an awesome achievement in itself.

Your blood will now be richer in oxygen than it was when you were a smoker so it will enable your muscles to work more efficiently, that's one of the rapid benefits. I was not a cyclist when I quit I did do other sports and for me that improvement in oxygen flow made a significant and noticeable difference to stamina and endurance right away.

I also suffered terribly with cold hands as a smoker, I would wear gloves from mid October to March, I quit mid summer (nearly 10 years ago now) but I was amazed that in the Autumn my hands were still warm!

Quitting smoking also gives you a great deal more freedom, you don't have to pander to your addiction. I no longer bits of meals and family events because I've had to nip outside for a nicotine fix, holidays were stressful as I dreaded flights and hotel transfers and to times I drove out to the 24 hour garage so I didn't run out of ciggies was ridiculous.

There are so many little gains here and there that you get from quitting, as well as the major health and financial benefits.

Keep up the great work.

PC

Jenny

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 11:25:53 am »
Many congratulations on your quit

Sounds like you are going to smash it

Jenny and Alfiedog

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 11:55:02 am »
Well done @Weebeastie ,this is your 16th million and last quit date. You left a lovely place but are now in a little gem of Llangollen in north wales, plenty of hills and mountains to climb, and lots of fresh air to take in without the smoke. I think of you as a November quitter with a small hiccup, but you got straight back on with it. I'm still early days but already feeling the benefits and have no craving for a cig. Did you use a forum in your 16 million quits, I didn't and failed every time, so stay close and keep posting, we'll get there.:)
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.