Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Hello everyone :)  (Read 1274 times)

Weebeastie

Hello everyone :)
« on: January 25, 2018, 06:35:42 pm »
Just wanted to say a quick hello to everyone and introduce myself!
I'm Kerry, 40, a Scot living in North Wales and currently on day 3 of my 16 millionth attempt at stopping smoking!
My most successful attempt was back in November when i managed 38 days before stupidly drinking wine and ignoring any sense or care about how far I'd travelled down the quitting road! I have a very strong association between wine and smoking as I've always considered them two of my favourite things - which is rediculous considering the damage they do.  One good thing I did was to read Allen Carr's book about stopping smoking about a year ago and every single time i've smoked since then has worried me.....I missed the blissful ignorance of not thinking too much about my smoking.  But now I fully accept that smoking has zero benefits, it does not relieve stress, it is not sociable and it really really stinks!
The thing that worries me is the tales of people who have been stopped for years and still struggle with cravings.  Only yesterday someone told me that they started again recently after 2 years of quitting.  Can someone please reassure me, (even though i already know it to be true), that the cravings after a while are not as bad as I'm having on day 3 or any time in the first few weeks!  And perhaps that one day I can have a glass of wine again without feeling like it's rubbish without smoking.

So lovely to rant on a bit about smoking, I only have a 7 year old son to chat to and he's not understanding when it comes to such an awful habit!

Off to read the day 3 posts and seek comfort in the suffering of others! haha.

Thanks for reading, have a great weekend everyone .

Kerry x :P :foundbeer:

KitKat

• Administrator
Re: Hello everyone :)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 06:53:56 pm »
Hi @Weebeastie and welcome to the forum.

First things first, you can quit and quit forever, just believe in yourself. We have a wealth of knowledge here and people that will jump in with help, advice and support as and when you need it.

Trust me on this one----------it wont take long before you can drink wine without wanting a cig

Others will be here very shortly to say Hi and welcome you to our forum family.

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

The following users thanked this post: Weebeastie

Whippetmom

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 07:11:37 pm »
Hi Weebeastie and welcome. I'm a relative newbie on here myself. I came across this site by accident and am so glad I did. Support and advice is freely given by people who genuinely care. So not only will you have all the help you need you've got the added bonus of some grownups to talk to  :).
I don't drink alcohol but I totally understand your wine /cig association, I was exactly the same with coffee and I can quite agree with KK, it won't be long before you're enjoying a glass without an accompanying cig.
Keep going girl, you can do it. Have a good weekend.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 07:13:16 pm »
Welcome @Weebeastie, so your Scottish and living in Wales and quitting. @Glasgowgal and @LAST CHANCE SALOON; she sounds right up your street. I think you're going to find you have a great team of quit buddies.

12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Gerti1

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 07:29:59 pm »
Hello Weebeastie and welcome to the friendliest quitting group ever. Well done on your 3 days quit :)
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

Max414

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 08:08:08 pm »
Hi and welcome,Kerry  :nobeer:
Great move-registering here-so you have tried many times to quit and with varying success-like all of us on here in fact!- but say goodbye to uncertainty and doubt about your own resolve to quit cos if you play your part,we will bust a gut to help you quit-for good and your chances of making that great leap are very high :foundbeer:
And absolutely we can reassure you that as time goes by,the whole smoking thing fades to nothing so that even the notion of a 'crave' becomes difficult to imagine.
Pull up a seat and join the enlightened ,sweet-smelling and wealthier,healthier people
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 08:09:38 pm »
Hi @Weebeastie , i'm from North Wales and @Glasgowgal is as you see our scots lass and @Enough42 makes up our November 2017 trio. Pity you didn't find us back then, we don't allow failure and would have kept you in tow. As like us you have failed many times, I don't think anyone on here has made it first time around but @tea would know. There's probably nothing you don't know about stopping smoking, but without this forum we all agree we would be smoking merrily by now. Only two and a half months in and I cant stand the smell of smoke on people clothes and the bonus of £1500 not gone up in smoke and  walking pain free again.  Day 3 was my very worst but you've got to get past it . As you say there are no good points. We're never smoking again, I hope you will join us. Drinking and smoking went hand in hand in every pub and club, but not any more, same with your wine.008
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

Weebeastie

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 08:44:44 pm »
Aaaw, thanks for the replies and lovely welcome you guys, I'm sure you all know what a difference it makes to have support from people who have been through this process.  The best way I can thank you all is to pass this support on to others which I promise I will.

The following users thanked this post: Lostie

Glasgowgal

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 08:46:26 pm »
Hello beastie and what a night to join, happy burns night!!! Welcome to the gang, we are all in this together. Oh what a shame you didnt find us in November! So drink was your downfall. Its been my downfall may times before. But this quit, i dont know how, but it all came together perfectly. Ive been drinking as per normal and managing great. Im sat with my father in law right now and hes smoking and im having a few wines and not one craving. It does get easier and easier i promise. You just need to keep doing everything as normal and not smoking and its just like your mind reprogrammes! Keep close to the board and post post post, thats what i do and its working for me!
Quit Date 6/11/17

Nicky40

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 09:24:21 pm »
Hi @Weebeastie and welcome. As all others have said this is a great forum full of lovely people with plenty of experience between them.

The craves do stop. Im 19 days into my latest quit, the longest being over two years but it wasn't cravings that started me again, just my own stupitidy thinking smoking would help with stress, it doesn't, it makes anxiety worse.

Good luck on your quit, post loads and do the games if you have time (they distract from cravings)  00 007
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 09:31:03 pm »
What happens on Burns Night @Glasgowgal?

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 10:20:52 pm »
Welcome to the madhouse @Weebeastie and a mahoosive well done on getting through those first three days!  They are without a shadow of a doubt the toughest and you've come through - WELL DONE YOU!!!

Plenty of lovely folk here to support and encourage you, so pull up a chair, settle yourself in and have a good trawl through the posts.

Just FYI, if our @KitKat says the day is coming when you can happily enjoy a glass or two of wine without craving a smoke then you can take that to the bank - if anyone should know if that's true, it's him! 008 008 008 ;D
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Glasgowgal

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 10:23:22 pm »
Awww tea you need to get yourself to a burns supper one day. Haggis neeps n tatties, poem recitals, booze and a few tunes on the guitar at the very least. Full blown you get some scottish dancing too and lots of whisky ha!

Quit Date 6/11/17

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 10:35:18 pm »
@Weebeastie well done on making it to day three as well as joining this group.

Happy Burn's night too and whilst a dram and a wine might be off the menu for now, it won't be forever. Also you have now clocked that Nicotine Monster's tactic of wine and fag association and you won't let him fool you again.

There is usually someone around to just post if you need a chat or support.
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 10:36:04 pm »
I get confused between Hogmanay and Burns Night I think. Is Burns Night the one where you sing to the haggis?  008