Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Packed up in November using Champix  (Read 649 times)

Millie

Packed up in November using Champix
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:56:46 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have joined this forum mainly because of worry, I packed up in November and was only on the 3rd week of Champix when the side effects made me quite ill, i subsequently ended up in hospital with diabetic ketacidosis. However, I don't want a ciggy, I am not sure whether I get cravings as such as my housemate smokes like a trouper though now smokes outside.

Last weekend he was having one and i said, give me a puff on that just for the sake of it i guess, i took his ciggy and got it a foot away from my face when i felt sick, so even if i wanted one, i honestly do not think i could..it stinks, it is awful.. even worse is that you hear stories about people packing up after many years- me 37 years and then croaking it because they packed up.

This is where i am at now, i am coughing up tar and other stuff and it is not very pleasant to say the least, I have this thought that when eventually this may clear that the cancer or something is already sitting there waiting to escape lol, sorry, that's my anxiety!
Cigarette smoker for 37 years cannabis on and off for 8 years, stopped the latter 6 years ago, cigs stopped Nov 2017.

Kat73

• Administrator
Re: Packed up in November using Champix
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 02:13:00 pm »
Bless you, I think all of us go through that when we quit, it's as though having finally faced up to how dangerous our habit is we start to panic we've left it too late.  I was having a lot of medical investigations towards the end of my first year of being quit and was fully prepared to be told that I had cancer, it actually turned out that I had a gall bladder chockful of gall stones!

Don't panic too much, obviously if you have any symptoms you are unsure of then seek medical advice, but otherwise just focus on the health benefits that quitting is going to provide.
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

The following users thanked this post: Millie

Titch

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 02:35:40 pm »
Hi Millie and welcome to the forum.  Very well done on being smoke free since November.  And an even bigger well done on having a ciggie in your hand but not taking a puff from it.  That takes some guts so you should be very proud of yourself.   
Coughing up bits of phlegm can be a side effect of quitting for some people although if you are worried about it then see your GP who will be able to put your mind at rest. 
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

The following users thanked this post: Millie

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 03:19:02 pm »
I hope you're finding your doctor helpful with the diabetes @Millie. I do know that nicotine affects blood sugar levels so people with diabetes do need to keep a tighter eye on their sugar readings. Much healthier to be without that tar and smoke though.

You'll find that you have a lovely group of November quitters and we're all willing you on to keep up your quits.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 04:30:16 pm »
Hi @Millie and welcome to the forum.

Hopefully you will find the help, support and advice to help you through your quit, ask as many questions as you want, we may not have all the answers, but I'm sure we will have some to help you.

I had to google Diabetic ketoacidosis  to find out exactly what it was and I must confess, I'm still not sure.

I have been using Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother) for a while now (to aid weight loss)but I did read that it can help with diabetes, but you should google it first to see if it could help you or consult your doctor.

Take care

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

Enough42

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 05:50:49 pm »
Hi Millie and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you’ve had a rough run to be sure.  Glad you found us!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Nicky40

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 06:00:36 pm »
Hi @Millie , its great that you found this site as the people here are amazing and it has helped me a lot. I am only on day 13 but my previous quit of over two years was with the help of these lovely people on a previous website. Unfortunately I stopped logging in and posting and fell off the waggon.

Try to stay away from googling too much if you are a worrier (unless its to search for the benefits of quitting).  Glad you got checked out at docs and all was ok. Everyone is different and some cough up muck while others don't  :hug:
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 06:29:30 pm »
Hi @Millie ,A fellow November quitter here and were all doing well, just stick with us and we will all be moving into month  12 together.  I smoked for around 37 years with 2 year quit, and my wife was convinced i would have a heart attack from the shock of giving up, well i'm still here and feeling great. Six months ago i could hardy walk, now i have no problem walking the dog, thats how quick things can change even after all those fags. Nothing good can happen if you carry on smoking, and you will now smell like a bunch of Freesias.
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

Finally!

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 07:36:58 pm »
Same here, packed in, in November, using Champix.
Best decision I ever made.
I was a little apprehensive using Champix (heard all the stories) but was the only thing that worked for me.

That was in 2013, by the way kk kk and I've never looked back  8)

Stick with it!
Finally quit after 35 years & several attempts.
Used Champix this time and it worked a treat!!
Last smoke 1 Nov 2013 and still going strong :)

Max414

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 08:04:23 pm »
Hi Millie and welcome
Medical fears and quitting overlap quite dramatically for many people.I quit partly because I was suffering a lot of reflux when eating (especially chips) and became worried that I might have cancer of the oesophagus! -I needed to know whether it was that or smoking that was making my indigestion so bad so that helped inspire me to quit. I used Champix too,and for me there were no problems. My reflux was caused by a hiatus hernia by the way-dunno if anyone else has had an endoscopy-not for the faint hearted
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)