Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 4  (Read 1734 times)

Gerti1

Day 4
« on: January 10, 2018, 07:44:09 pm »
I had a good-ish morning and then an afternoon of feeling like my emotions have been placed on a rollercoaster, it lasted a few hours and has now lifted. I have decided I am not signing up with a quit nhs group as I got peed off with them last year and felt they were just ticking boxes so no time for that. I am however going to pay privately for a therapist for a few months with the money I'm saving from quitting. This therapist is a lady I have seen a couple of times when I lost my mum and felt a little bewildered, I trust her and she is also very qualified with mental health problems/anxiety which is my stumbling block. I love the fact I no longer smoke and that my breathing is already super, I hate the fact that I am an addict and have a battle ahead. I lasted 2 days cold turkey before I put a patch on, I am using a 14 mg patch rather than a full strength one.
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

Glasgowgal

Re: Day 4
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:55:39 pm »
Hi gerti a lot of what you say makes a lot of sense to me. I was just complaining the other day to my pal @LAST CHANCE SALOON about the staff at the pharmacist who are supposed to be supporting me. But ive actually decided just pop in to see this one particular lass and i wind her up ha! I dont need their help anymore. I hope when my 12 week thing is over i get asked for feedback. As ive been through the mill gerti and you do get good folks at supporting but unfortunately you also get bad folks. It pains me they might be earning a buck yet so incompetent. If you can afford private -go for it. Fellow anxiety sufferer here so i catch your drift  ;) keep on the patches hun they are brilliant.
Quit Date 6/11/17

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 08:36:10 pm »
Hi @Gerti1 ,keep the patches going, they really do help and get all the help you can get and tell yourself this is my very last quit, its working for a few of us on here, just stick with us, we know its not easy......smoking is easy but deadly expensive.
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 09:00:48 pm »
Bolster your quit with whatever you feel may help hon, it's time to get this sorted and stop putting yourself through this process - it certainly doesn't get any easier having to start from the beginning each time so you may as well do absolutely everything you can to stay on the wagon and defeat the stinky little oik once and for all!

On the anxiety front, I can't remember if we mentioned it to you before, but Kalms, New Relax and Rhodiola are all herbal remedies that might assist.  I was a Rescue Remedy girl and found it to be a real help.
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Nicky40

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 09:18:32 pm »
Hi @Gerti1 , well done on getting through day four. I have always found days 3-5 quite difficult too. Patches or whatever you decide helps are a great idea, all better than smoking. Hopefully your therapist will help too  007
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

markmcclean1980

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 11:01:01 pm »
Well done on getting to day 4 @Gerti1 
You have been through so much and come out the other end so you know you can overcome anything.  I understand exactly what you mean about nhs stop smoking services.  On one of my previous quit attempts I went to my own dr surgery for stop smoking clinic.  While I was with the stop smoking nurse (Mandy) the nurse who had previously done the clinic (Jenny) came into the room.  Her one remark to me was ‘Are you back again? How many times are you going to stop smoking.’  From that day on I refuse to have any appointments with Jenny.  Whatever you need to do to get through, whether it’s seeing a therapist, having a cry or rant, is fine by us.  There is nothing here but support, understanding and good wishes/vibes being sent in your direction.

The following users thanked this post: tea

Enough42

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 06:46:55 am »
Hi @Gerti1 and glad to have you on our forum family! Well done on day 4.  Those earliest days are the roughest, toughest and meanest little critters so keep ploughing through the jungle and you’ll get to the other side soon enough. My attempt to reach out to the NHS stop smoking service ended when my phone call to their help line was picked up at a call centre. You don’t need them.  You’ve got us....and your brilliant therapist!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Gerti1

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 08:22:56 am »
Thank you all you lovelies
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 09:52:45 am »
It's Day 5 and you're closer to 1 week now!!  008
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Glasgowgal

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 04:23:36 pm »
How are you getting on @Gerti1 are you still with us?
Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: tea

Gerti1

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 06:24:27 pm »
Hi girls
I'm still here but had such a sad emotional day that I have been struggling since I got out of bed. Craves are meant to last 3 minutes but this stinker has been looping round in my head for the past 8 hrs !!!! what is that all about. I took myself off out to sainsburys and walked around the store for over an hour, drove to local petshop and bought dog food, came home and waited for hubby and went for a 3 mile walk and the negative thinking was still there !!! Been in tears on and off all day and for the past hour I have just been repeating to myself that I can do this. I finally feel it is easing off, thank god as I thought I was going potty !! Today was not for the feint hearted
I am going to do this
Quit 6th January 2018

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 06:38:34 pm »
Cravings are magnified when you're hungry, angry, lonely or tired. Write it off as a bad day and treat yourself for getting through it.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Max414

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 06:53:21 pm »
Gerti,you can do this. We are right here and we have your back,you tough it out and we will keep the demon away from you. Get angry at the smoking crave-how dare it affect your day so much! We were not born smokers and Mother Nature hates us smoking-you are reverting to how Nature wants you to be,you are leaving poison and death behind and heading to hope and light.We promise that a truly golden treasure awaits you at the other end !!!  :hug: :hug:
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Glasgowgal

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 07:47:58 pm »
Aww gerti that sound a tough day but good on you getting out walking to try and curb the craving. I remember @Enough42 said in the early days she had cravings in the beginning and they lasted ages. And look at her now she is doing brilliant. Things will get easier and hats off to you for sticking to NOPE Sending big hugs to you and jac today  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Quit Date 6/11/17

Nicky40

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 09:46:24 pm »
Oh @Gerti1 , sorry to see you had such an awful day, those craves will get better then just disappear altogether. I hope tomorrow will be a good day for you.  :hug:
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........