Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: If not now, then when? The choice may be taken away from you  (Read 837 times)

Kat73

• Administrator
If not now, then when? The choice may be taken away from you
« on: December 06, 2017, 06:31:09 pm »
I was in two minds as to whether to share this with you all but I think that maybe, just maybe, there might be someone on the forum (lurking and reading if not participating) who would read this and decide "I'm not prepared to risk it any more, now's the time".

As many of us did, I started smoking at school, although considerably later than most (it was year before I turned 16).  I was the world's most vocal anti-smoker, continually going on at my Gran (the only smoker in the family), hiding my ballet teacher's cigarettes and moaning at my friends.  This last summer I saw that an old friend of mine (actually the girl who gave me my first cigarette) had finally found Facebook and I sent a friend request.  It was some weeks before I noticed she had accepted and I kept hoping we'd be online at the same time and could have a good catch up.  I had a glance at her page and noticed that she had fought breast cancer, as so many have - it really is the plague of the 20th (and now 21st) century.  She doesn't tend to post very often and so it slips past me that another month has gone and we still haven't caught each other.

I logged in this morning to see she had shared a post by her husband.  He is asking for any advice or experience anyone has had with alternative therapies for cancer as she has now been diagnosed with secondary, terminal cancer and given a prognosis of how long she has.  She has four young children.

If she was offered the choice today to go back and refuse that first cigarette what do you think she'd say?  If you knew that the very next cigarette you lit would be The One that started the cancer ball rolling would you light it?

The truth is, we've no way of knowing what might light that fuse but one thing we know for sure, quitting the damn things is the best thing you can do to better your chances of not standing where she does today.

Think about it and think hard, are you really prepared to risk all you have for that next puff?

Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

The following users thanked this post: KitKat, Glasgowgal, LAST CHANCE SALOON

Glasgowgal

Re: If not now, then when? The choice may be taken away from you
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 07:41:04 pm »
I think you are right to post this.  All of my other quit attempts ive picked a date weeks or months before my quit date. As to try and get myself 'ready'. Though to be honest i never did feel ready, but it was a bit of mental preparation i suppose.

This quit in the week prior 3 people i know diagnosed with C. Two with a good prognosis (skin and throat) but one, an under 40 year old mother, bad prognosis (stage four lung).

And i just thought sod this. Went to the pharmacy and quit that day 6th November.

It certainly gave me a kick up the bad side and that along with lots of other reasons is great motivation for me.
Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: tea, Kat73, KitKat, LAST CHANCE SALOON

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 10:18:47 pm »
Thanks for that GG, I know this type of motivation would often have the opposite effect on me when I smoked - I swear I smoked more on No Smoking Day than on any other day of the year - but if there's just one person who reads it, looks at their home, family, friends, the life that they live and thinks "I'm not prepared to risk it any more, now's the time to stop" then it'll be ABSOLUTELY worth sharing.
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

The following users thanked this post: LAST CHANCE SALOON

Max414

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 10:35:45 pm »
Bold post Kathryn x
My first ciggie tasted revolting and made me gag  001 and why,because my body naturally rejected this poisonous smoke that I was trying to inhale. When we can smoke and not feel sick or dizzy,it's a very sad day because it's proof that our bodies have put up enough barriers to cope with the poison-fancy inflicting that horror on ourselves..Nobody launches into a career of smoking without having to overcome a similar distasteful reaction-so we know ,we KNOW it's wrong to suck in hot smoke,and yet did it.
Makes you wonder,who starts smoking nowadays?We may be the last generation but one that actually have significant numbers who need to 'quit'.
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

The following users thanked this post: LAST CHANCE SALOON

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:14:50 am »
I suppose it's just that when you're young you think you're immortal.  :(

So sad @Kat73 . Big hugs coming your way  :hug: :hug: :hug:

As some of you know, one of my best friends is terminally ill (ovarian cancer). She never did smoke and has always led a healthy life (which goes to show it can happen to anyone) but she's certainly of the opinion that you should make the most of life, grab every opportunity with both hands and do everything possible (within reason) to ensure your life is a long and healthy one. She hated me smoking and was over the moon for me when I finally quit (bless her).
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: Kat73, KitKat, LAST CHANCE SALOON