Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Champix  (Read 4275 times)

Nick_82

Re: Champix
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 07:35:54 pm »
 ;D

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal

Nick_82

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2017, 09:46:24 pm »
I thought I would update with how Champix is working our as it’s been a while since I posted.

So all the of the ‘symptoms’ of early days (most of which I think were probably just nicotine or cig withdrawal rather than the drug for me) are gone. The only problem I am finding is I’m sometimes getting nausia for about an hour after taking the tablet. I’m thinking of cutting my dose to try and sort that out but I’m going to speak to quit nurse or doc first on that.

Compared to a past successful CT quit about 6 years ago (which lasted about a year) so far Champix has made things easier for me. For me it has felt like as long as I took the tablets I just won’t (or can’t?) smoke - it’s so bizarre and hard to explain. One of the things I have found very different to CT is how I felt more in control when I quit CT. I can’t work out if I like that or not!

With Champix it feels like I’m quitting smoking (and going through all that goes with that) and there is no stopping it. It’s like being on a rollercoaster I can’t imediatly get off.  I know I can’t just pick up a cig if I want to give in because it would probably make me hurl and wouldn’t take the craving anyway as the Champ seems to stop the nicotine working somehow. I sometimes find that quite a scary prospect if I’m honest. But it has worked so far for me and I’m not having any scary mental side effects which is great.

From what I’ve read it seems that everyone has different Champix experiences but it’s an option worth discussing with your doctor I think as you plan a quit if you don’t feel other options are for you

The following users thanked this post: tea, Glasgowgal

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 04:59:54 am »
@Nick_82 I always felt sick with Champix.  I checked with the GP and cut my tablet in half. Someone had told me to take ginger with the tablet or try and take it early a.m. and then go back to bed.  As I usually had a call of nature around 3am I would get up and have 2 ginger nut biscuits, take the tablet and then go back to bed.

It still must have bothered me a bit on the half dose because I remember going to the GP about 12 weeks (can't really remember how long I was on them) and just told him I'm not taking it anymore.  Originally he had wanted me to stay on them for 12 months!

Good luck with it :hug:

Glasgowgal

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2017, 06:28:54 am »
It sounds like the champix is working out very successfully for you @Nick_82 thats great to hear.

My wee granny makes a mean gingerbread that would be a good excuse to scoff that everyday haha did you find the ginger helped any @Lostie
Quit Date 6/11/17

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2017, 12:11:52 pm »
@Glasgowgal The ginger nut biscuits must have helped a bit, but I think proper ginger pieces would probably be better.

Glasgowgal

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2017, 10:51:22 pm »
How are you getting on @Nick_82 are you doing good?
Quit Date 6/11/17

Nick_82

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2017, 09:16:00 pm »
Hi @Glasgowgal, I’m doing good thanks, tomorrow I will be st one month which I am so happy/relieved about. The last few days I feel like I’m starting to turn a corner, thinking that this will be the quit that sticks! I know from past attempts that I still need to keep my guard up though. How are you getting on? I hope you have a great new year!

The following users thanked this post: Lostie

Glasgowgal

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2018, 03:20:41 am »
Aye im doing brill nick day 57 for me which is amazing. So youve turned a corner, i too feel this is my forever quit. I will think on my benefits of quitting and get back to you on that. Well wow look at the time goodnight yall and wow we quit smoking last year hahaha
Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: Lostie

Nick_82

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2018, 09:32:03 am »
Great stuff @Glasgowgal this time next year we’ll be in the 1 year club I hope

Nick_82

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2018, 09:47:05 pm »
Well I’ve been taking champix for two months now so I thought I would update on how’s it going. So as I said in my last post the full dose 2mg / day of champix was making me quite nauseous so I eventually decided to drop back down to 1mg per day. I felt a bit glum after reducing it but I still have the magic feeling that I don’t want a fag which is great. The nausea stopped though which was good.

Apart from vivid dreams not having any other side effects at all. I’m not getting any of the scary mental stuff you read about do that what I’m most pleased about.

I’m still quite anxious about stopping the drug but my plan is to carry on as I am for another month then cut the dose down further over say another month.

If anyone reading this is considering champix as part of a planned quit I still think it’s worth considering, particularly if NRT doesn’t seem to work for you. For me so far it’s been really amazing.

Enough42

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2018, 06:52:29 am »
Thanks for the update @Nick_82 I’m delighted that it’s working so very well for you! You certainly seem to be completely on cruise control. I’m rather jealous!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Glasgowgal

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2018, 09:43:15 am »
Thats good news. Wow the nausea stopped thats brilliant. Just play it by ear im sure youll be able to stay on it for as long as you want to. You could maybe do this month at 1mg. Then two months at 0.5mg. I think reducing the dose is definitely the way id do it. I take mild medication for mild anxiety nick and now just take the medicine three days per week. So you can ease yourself off it by say taking a pill every second day too.
Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: Nick_82

Nick_82

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2018, 09:30:31 pm »
Thanks @Enough42 and @Glasgowgal . As you say glasgowgal, play it by ear and cut down is a good plan. Hope you all had a good Sunday, it was really chilly here

The following users thanked this post: Enough42, Glasgowgal

Nick_82

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2018, 06:07:08 pm »
Thought I would check back in on this thread in case anyone is thinking of giving champix a go and reading it! The great news is arround 12 weeks I gradually lowered my dose then stopped champix. I didn’t notice any sudden changes in my mood or need to smoke when I finished the tablets which I was worried I might do. I’m not feeling depressed or anxious, feeling more in control than I have for years.

Since then although there have been occasions where I’ve wanted to smoke but it’s been managable and now I go whole days not even thinking about it.

Everyone’s quit is different and what works well for some doesn’t for others - but for me Champix was incredible. I honestly don’t know why having failed using cold terkey and NRT on several occasions I didn’t try it sooner. I think it was maybe because I didn’t really believe a drug would work on the way I felt and my cravings but it did.

I think some people feel champix is cheating (maybe I did) but quitting isn’t a competition so who cares. If you are reading this and thinking it might work for you don’t delay, call your doctor or quit smoking nurse and talk to them about if it’s suitable for you, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

The following users thanked this post: tea, Lostie, Enough42