Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Champix  (Read 4323 times)

Nick_82

Champix
« on: December 04, 2017, 05:56:31 pm »
Hi Everyone.

I hope you are all well.

I’ve had some great support with past quit attempts (qutting cold turkey and trying NRT). Unfortunately my past quits have failed, mostly after a few weeks. I’m still determined to quit so a few weeks ago I went to see a quit smoking advisor and they reccomended trying Champix. I was nervous about trying it having had a problem with depression and anxiety about 7 years ago but the doctor suggested that I could still try it as long as I was cautious and my partner kept an eye on me.

I know opinions are divided on Champix so. I thought I would post my experiences for anyone else considering Champix as I found others posts really useful in deciding to try it.

I started the tablets 10 days ago. Initially I didn’t notice much but on about day three I noticed I had only smoked about 13 fags, down from about 20 normally. It just happened without me really thinking about it which was weird (but good). The dose of the tablets goes up on day 4 and although I was a bit grumpy and smoking notably less I hadn’t had any noticeable side effects. On day 5 after taking the second tablet I went for a fag and immediately after suddenly got very dizzy and had blurred vision for about 30 min, it really scared me. After it passed I was left with a dull headache for about two days. I used to get occasional migraine headaches as a teenager and I’m pretty confident that was what happened. I decided to push on with the tablets and stopped on day 8 (on sat). 

I can honestly say between day 5-10(today) has been a really weird experience. I’ve had all the same feelings/symptoms as when I last tried to quit cold turkey (feeling grumpy,spaced out,tired,cough,feeling ‘empty’ and a bit down, weird dreams)  but not any really strong cravings. I’m sure you all know the ones, the ‘i’ve Got to have a fag at all costs’ type. I do still quite fancy a cig on one level but it’s like part of me knows the Champix will mean it won’t make me feel better so there is no point. I just didn’t get any ‘relief’ from the last few fags I had on Friday. I still felt exactly the same after them as I did before. It’s like my brain just knows the game is up and has accepted it.  It’s genuinly hard to explain.

Anyway I’ve not smoked for three days and I don’t seem to be any more down  or anxious than when quitting cold turkey so that’s great. I just hope I can keep it together this time!

Nick

KitKat

• Administrator
Re: Champix
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 06:27:00 pm »
Hi @Nick_82  can't comment on champix as I never tried it, but I think quite a few on here have, but I have heard some weird stuff about it and some of the side effects. I sure someone will come along with a story or two about Champix

Well done for quitting again and having a good positive attitude, keep posting and letting us now how you are getting on and please, just shout if you need any help or advice.

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

Nick_82

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 07:11:02 pm »
Thanks for  the support KK. I kind of feel a little bit like i’m cheating but all is fair in love and war and I need to quit.

Read your post about a forum ban, their loss is our gain I recon!

Nick

The following users thanked this post: KitKat

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 07:47:09 pm »
@Kat73 @Max414 .....

Now then @Nick_82 I didn't try Champix but I have heard that it can give you fruity dreams....now this would make my day.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Nick_82

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:53:40 pm »
Hi Tea,

Fruity  dreams were promised but so far mine have been long and vivid but so dull you wouldn’t believe it! Basically I’m doing 8 hours admin every night at the moment!!

Nick

Glasgowgal

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 08:06:36 pm »
Hi Nick,

Ive tried champix twice and my quit before this one i was on champix so i remember it. It was through a smoke cessation nhs weekly class, where i went along weekly to get support from nurses and meet other quitters on a weekly basis.

Ive tried quitting a few times so when i went along i said what method would you advise and without any hesitation they said champix. And allllll the other quitters i met, at various stages of their quit, were on champix. They said its the best method to quit. So im sure thats true, so youve got a good plan.

I fell down because they stopped for xmas for a few weeks!!! And without that weekly someone checking up on me....i failed. I know i kind of need that and this forum also kind of feels to that effect....i like to do well and to get a bit of recognition. Im getting weekly support (of sorts) from the pharmacist and daily support here  :)

You sound like you are doing very well Nick. Keep posting and reading the forum. What you are doing is working for you  :) :)
Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: Nick_82

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 08:11:38 pm »
Thanks for  the support KK. I kind of feel a little bit like i’m cheating but all is fair in love and war and I need to quit.

Nick

Not cheating at all, whatever it takes Nick, whatever it takes  008

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 08:13:13 pm »
Hi Tea,

Fruity  dreams were promised but so far mine have been long and vivid but so dull you wouldn’t believe it! Basically I’m doing 8 hours admin every night at the moment!!

Nick

I'm vicariously disappointed!! @Malvin P Lawnmowerpants said he missed out too. Now, you must promise me that you will let me know if this changes.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Max414

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 08:46:04 pm »
Champix unlocked the door for me  :foundbeer:
I had no issues with it at all.It simply chipped away at the 'hit ' that smoking gave me until I was smoking a tab and not getting anything from it-cannot remember the whole story in detail but I know I stopped smoking and had loads of pills left which I never needed to take.

I took Champix deliberately because a friend at work ( a fellow Cop) succeeded in quitting by taking it,and I thought she would never quit  003
 So when the Stop smoking nurse mentioned Champix, I was on it like an MP on an expenses claim  007

You are doing superbly Nick, and there is no such thing as cheating to quit because it is literally a matter of life and death,quitting  :nobeer:
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Nick_82

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 08:49:11 pm »
Hi Glasgowgal, thanks for your message! I’ve got the weekly meetings with the stop smoking guy so i’ll make sure I keep going to them as you say.  Glad you’ve had a good experience with Champix though, I read you are 28 days quit which is brilliant, congratulations!

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal

Nick_82

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 08:59:43 pm »
Cheers Max! Great to hear another positive story about Champix, thanks for the message. The thing that made me try it was a good friend really did well with it too. He said one day having been taking it for a couple of weeks he forgot to take his cigs to work and didn’t miss them and he knew he was ready to quit. That story was really hard to understand as I know how much he liked to smoke  but made me think it was worth a go!

Thanks again for the kind messages, i’m off to bed for another night of incredibly real and boring dreams :o)

Malvin P Lawnmowerpants

• Breadbin
  • Hatstand
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 09:05:35 pm »
Good work
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't climb a ladder with a bell in both hands...

Quit date: 01/10/2014
Smoked for 22 years sadly...

Finally!

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 07:28:06 am »
There's isn't any hard and fast rules on what you should use to help you quit.
Whatever works for you is going to be the key - that and mindset.

I quit over 4 years ago using Champix.
It definitely wasn't my first attempt as I had tried all the usual methods - nothing worked for me.
I even aborted my first Champix attempt as I was still smoking after 30 days of taking Champix.
But that Champix failure set me up for the successfull quit.

Champix isn't like most other NRT and I suppose I was expecting it to remove the urge to smoke - not so.
It's supposed to trick your mind into thinking that the cigs are tasting awful. And it does a great job of that.
You just need to bear that in mind.

Armed with the above information I tried quitting again with Champix and this time I was off the cigs after 14 days, cut the course short (after reducing the dosage) to 2 1/2 months and I've never looked back.

Never, ever had any side effects. My only tip would be to make sure you take the tablets with food otherwise you will feel queasy.

And good luck kk kk
Finally quit after 35 years & several attempts.
Used Champix this time and it worked a treat!!
Last smoke 1 Nov 2013 and still going strong :)

Nick_82

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 07:34:20 pm »
Hi finally,  thanks for the message. Great to hear another positive Champix story. It’s weird how it tricks you like you say.

Almost finished day 4 without smoking which is good. Feeling really tired but good generally!

Thanks again,nick

The following users thanked this post: KitKat

Glasgowgal

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 10:06:48 pm »
How did you get on today @Nick_82
Quit Date 6/11/17