Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 5  (Read 1106 times)

Nicky40

Day 5
« on: December 04, 2017, 08:25:22 am »
Hi everyone

I did cave in the evening of day 3 and had two cigarettes, which I regretted.  009  So have just ignored and carried on (I don't want to fall into the 'ah well I failed may as well buy cigs' trap).  I do have an electronic cigarette which is ok for emergencies.  Have bought and tried loads of vapes but I really don't like them.  Never tried patches etc as my last quit was pretty much cold turkey except for the electronic cig which I only used when out drinking and only for a couple of months.  I really don't remember it being this difficult last time, though I imagine it was, It may have helped to look at my old posts but I think the NSD site has gone now.

Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

Glasgowgal

Re: Day 5
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 10:02:55 am »
Hi Nicky,

Don't worry too much about caving look at @LAST CHANCE SALOON he caved early in the quit but now going strong, I think hes day 19!!!! 

If you can be bothered id get yourself down to the pharmacy, im on patches and lozenges, free from the pharmacy, and its working a treat for me.

Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: Nicky40

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:33:00 am »
Hi @Nicky40 ,well done for having another go..Are you using the nhs stop smoking, i couldn't do it without them and using patches, spray and lozenges..Don't knock yourself out, i smoked 8 on first day with patch on , then 6 then 2 up to the 6th day, still thought i had done well when it was 30 a day usually..On the 7th day i knew from the past that if i kept cigs in house or car i would have one, so got rid of them, and used the spray instead as that's all i had...Yes with all my meds i had to use more will power than i would have liked, and remember i didn't want to stop, it was my leg packing up that made me do it...it took me 3 goes to talk to nhs help line, hanging up each time and going for a smoke to have a think about it, thank goodness i let it ring the 3rd time. They told me the patch took 20 minutes to work but i found it took nearly 3 hours, so had to use the spray instead which gives you hiccups..After a week a calm came over me and i never looked back..I found the cravings lasted 3 minutes, so that's the amount of time between quitting or starting again..I'm on day 19 now, just checked, i had lost count, and don't get any craving, don't think about smoking, don't use the spray or lozengers, i even forget to put patch on first thing...I have got an E.cig which i found useless, even with 24mg vape but have bought some zero nicotine for it and use it now and then just as a prop. My neighbour gave up 2 years ago and used an E.GIG ,but now he still uses it but its got bigger, puts out more smoke than the flying Scotsman and a battery that could start my car and seems super glued to his hand ,so didn't want to go that route. Still early days for me, but ive posted my last cig and its set in stone..i would have to buy cigs now if i wanted to start again, and that's never going to happen..I finally had the courage to look at how much a week i was spending on that pile of ash and it was 75 pounds, plus extra shopping we didn't need plus petrol every day so nearer 100 pound a week..The smell on people that smoke now is overpowering..If i can do it anybody can do it, my carbon monoxide dropped from 29 to 2 in first week and my leg is back to normal. Can highly recommend the patches, and watch someone on this forum ahead of you and they will drag you on with them...Back to see alex or sue tomorrow nhs, and get new patches, and a 30 minute chat about how i'm doing and how they gave up..Think how 2018 could change your life, i do. Sorry done an essay again and still a newbee on here.

Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

The following users thanked this post: Nicky40, Glasgowgal

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 10:34:31 am »
It sounds so obvious, but just keep repeating the NOPE mantra @Nicky40 - it really does help- and remember that craves rarely last more than a few minutes. As they say, when it gets too much post on the forum and wait for at least three replies (by which time the crave will almost certainly have passed).

It takes time for the pathways in your brain to re-route as you probably remember from your previous quit. Just keep plugging on and you WILL get there.  :hug: :hug:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 10:35:11 am »
Great minds think alike @Glasgowgal .
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 07:09:46 pm »
Hi @Nicky40  I think we can ignore a little blip, cos that's all it was and you are doing so well, you really are.

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 07:44:10 pm »
Is there anything more we can do to help you @Nicky40? Do you want us to ask after you if we don't hear from you each day or do you want us to wait for you to get back in touch? Do you respond better to praise or do you need some tough love?

I can't get your old posts back from NSD since it closed, but you know that a lot of the old hats are here. Anything you need just ask, actually it's not even asking...just give us a hint.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Nicky40

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 08:08:59 am »
Thanks Everyone, it's great to have such good support on here.

@tea I am unsure what I need to be honest, sometimes I will happily update on here and discuss my quit attempt with people but other times I just don't want to even hear the word cigarette...if you can understand that.  :)
Smoked for most of my adult life (and a fair bit of my childhood!).  Managed a two year quit 2014-2016 but started again!  Quit again on 6th January 2018 and lasted 7 months!  Back on the wagon again now...........

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 10:59:40 am »
@Nicky40  I know exactly what you mean, I didn't announce on the forum that I had quit and been quit for 6 months.

For me, I didn't want people asking me every time I came on the forum how I was doing. After 6 months I felt safe in my quit and was more happy to talk about it, but we are all different and no one can necessarily be treated the same as anyone else.

You do it your way and in your time, we are just here to help, if and only if required. You can go quietly from room to room and just join in the other areas of the forum, ie games etc or shout out loud how you are doing, there is no hard and fast rules.

One thing that I would say and this goes for everyone -----If you start smoking again, that is NOT a reason to leave the forum BUT a reason to stay, we judge nobody.

KK ;)   
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

Sally

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 11:53:19 am »
Hi @Nicky40, welcome back and well done on getting to Day 5.  Well done also for carrying on your quit at a time when it would have been so easy to fall back into the smoking trap.

I understand completely, I didn't tell anybody in person I'd quit apart from my best friend.  It would have just been added pressure everybody asking how I was doing.  That's why the old forum was great for me.  When I needed help, people were there but if it was one of those days where talking about smoking would have just made things worse then I didn't have to log on. 

Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Enough42

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 08:14:58 pm »
It is so bloody hard isn't it @Nicky40! I texted that to my sister in law (she is now over 3 months quit) when I was on day 1 and about to explode/abandon my quit/smolt my hubby with my piercing eyes and she texted back saying no one said it would be easy. I don't know why but that really stuck with me and whenever I had a craving it kept popping into my head (okay cravings were pretty permanently there for ages).  I remember early days that even coming on the forum sometimes would make me have a craving simply because we were talking about it on here.  You are doing great. Just keep going.  Well done you for not abandoning your quit.  I don't know whether I could have been as strong as you to stick with it so there you see, if I can get this far then you an too!!!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

The following users thanked this post: Nicky40, LAST CHANCE SALOON