Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 50  (Read 1621 times)

bubbielau

Day 50
« on: November 23, 2017, 03:32:20 pm »
For some reason 50 days feels like it should be significant, I like round numbers!

I'm generally doing well, although I do still get hit by the odd craving - last night I was stood in the kitchen talking to my husaband and then started walking to the back door for a fag???  What's that about?
I described it to him as being like being on a diet.  I am fine, don't physically need to smoke (not hungry) and know i can't have one, but just like cake on a diet i kinda wish i could?

Also I have a really dry throat all the time which is very annoying.  Gum or water gets rid of it, but 10 mins later its back. Has anyone else had this? I remeber getting it before when I quit, but can't remember when it went away?

The following users thanked this post: LAST CHANCE SALOON

KitKat

• Administrator
Re: Day 50
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 03:44:04 pm »
@bubbielau  50 days is significant, cos it's 50 days that you've been smoke free and 50 days closer to the Penthouse.

Not had a dry throat, probably cos I've kept it moist with the red stuff.

Well done you on 50 days  008 008

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

The following users thanked this post: bubbielau

Glasgowgal

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 04:17:19 pm »
Hi Bubbielau,

Nice to meet you and wow day 50 is AMAZING!!  And glad to hear you are doing well  ;)

I've not had any dry throat but just keep drinking water if that is working for you and hopefully it passes real soon.  Your not vaping by any chance are you?  Because I know a few vapers and I've heard them complain of a dry throat also.

Yes, Well done Bubbielau, you are a star  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
Quit Date 6/11/17

Sally

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 04:26:51 pm »
Well done @bubbielau, 50 days is definitely a milestone worth celebrating.

I can't tell you how many times I left work in the evening and went to get my lighter from my pocket only to remember I don't smoke anymore, it must have been such a conditioned thing to do as I left work every day. 

I definitely remember getting a sore/dry throat and I didn't vape, it seemed to last quite a long time from what I remember. 
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 07:37:52 pm »
I actually got so irritated with my dry throats and that dry cough that I asked this lot for help a long time ago. This is now historically celebrated as The Greek Monster saga. It was @Skiddaw that told me it was my Scylla, which was the name of a Greek monster, but she explained that they are little hairs that are all over your innards and are meant to catch 'bits' like dust that you breathe in. Those little minuscule hairs are actually called cilia, but they do sound like a Greek monster.

Then Carol of Caturday advised me to get some Fisherman's Friends, which taste foul but take your mind off it because they leave a funny taste. I bless her so many times because it worked!! Oh it worked!!

So then I asked a medical guy for the science and the way he explained it to me is that your body used to have to make a certain level of moisture (he said natural lubrication) to deal with that nasty smoke you breathed in. Then you stopped (which is a GOOD thing) but your body is confused about how moist it should make your insides now. Plus it is clearing out the old gunk so you might cough up some funny coloured gunk, but if it is green coloured then see a doctor as it might be a sign of a chest infection. Your body will sort out its juiciness levels soon enough.

So your body is healing itself, making you some fresh, clean Greek monsters and will lubricate you in the near future.

If it does bother you do try a Fisherman's Friend and if the original ones are too rank, the aniseed ones also work wonders.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

The following users thanked this post: bubbielau, LAST CHANCE SALOON

Enough42

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 06:24:04 am »
50 days is fantastic! Oh how I wish I could click my fingers and be there with you. I know what you mean about it being a force of habit. I've found myself wandering to the back door a couple of times too and then I get really angry at Mr Nic. It's nice to have a name to focus my anger at.  Is this Mr Nic's face?  002 I don't know why else this emoji would be on here!

But well done on 50 days. Bloody brilliant work.
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Max414

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 11:27:12 am »
50 days is superb Bubs

Keep inching forward,you are doing great
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 08:42:39 pm »
Your first half century is definitely something to celebrate @bubbielau!!!! :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

That's FAN-FLIPPIN'-TASTIC!!!!

Yep, the weird things our bodies do whilst trying to work out quite what they were always meant to do and what extra stuff they did to help cope with the nasty chemicals we were constantly inflicting on ourselves can be pretty odd!  The good news is that, miraculous creation that it is, it will work out how to get back to "factory settings" so just tough it out, check with folk here if they've come up with something helpful to get you over the difficulties and look forward to the day when all is as it should be.
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 04:26:20 pm »
@tea is never going to let me forget my ' Greek sea monster' faux pa...  ;D ;D :-[ but her post is spot on. @bubbielau , you're rocking dear girl and I can't tell you how pleased I am to hear it.  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: tea, bubbielau

markmcclean1980

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 10:07:54 pm »
Better late then never, so well done on reaching another milestone @bubbielau

You are going all guns blazing.  Keep at it and congratulations!

The following users thanked this post: bubbielau, Glasgowgal

Enough42

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 06:41:01 pm »
50 days is fantastic! Oh how I wish I could click my fingers and be there with you.

Click click - 50 days for me! Heading off to a Christmas jumper party tonight at which I know there won't be any smokers. I'm looking forward to enjoying a glass of bubbles or 2....or 3......or more without wondering if/how/when I can have a smoke without being discovered!!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

The following users thanked this post: tea, Skiddaw

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 06:57:27 pm »
Well done @Enough42  enjoy your party, have fun and just be a little bit naughty  ;D

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

The following users thanked this post: Enough42

Nick_82

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 07:12:36 pm »
Congratulations @Enough42 and @bubbielau! 50 days is amazing, your success gives us more recent quitters confidence this is possible! Hope the dry throat clears soon.

Glasgowgal

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 07:58:39 pm »
Good on yi @Enough42 time is just breezing along isnt it! Oh and a Christmas jumper party what a fab idea!

Its great not being a slave to the crave anymore isnt it. And you really are an inspiration to the folks maybe finding their quit impossibly hard at the beginning. You really went through it. And look at you now. You are cruising!!! Roll on day 75  ;)
Quit Date 6/11/17

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 09:29:34 pm »
Well done @Enough42 , that 42 days soon went by and now the big 50 and not an easy ride, enjoy the party.
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.