Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 17  (Read 1580 times)

Glasgowgal

Day 17
« on: November 22, 2017, 02:22:23 pm »
Hi y'all,

Day 17 for me and I feel bad for saying this as I know some of you are struggling but im really breezing along. And I was a 20 a day, as i reach to switch off alarm in morning grab a fag and lighter in the same motion kinda gal  003

Ive had tough quits before, that whole searching the house high and low, THERE MUST BE A FAG HERE SOMEWHERE or my low point very early into a quit raiding the bin, yes the bin, for doubts, ewwwwww  ;D

But by the same token I've had easy (unsuccessful) quits before. I just need to remind myself to, as we say up here, 'keep the heid'. Don't get complacent. 

Soon im sure i'll be thinking....just one.  But i'm calmly ready for it. Not One Puff Ever.  Great mantra folks, thanks for that. 

Can anyone who has started with an easy quit maybe shed any light on when it turns not so easy or any tips on how to keep it easy?  Could the whole quit be easy???!!!! (ever the optimist me  ;D)

Thanks
GG 

Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: LAST CHANCE SALOON

KitKat

• Administrator
Re: Day 17
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 03:17:22 pm »
"Easy" is a relative term, what might be easy for one person may be difficult for another, I also think things in general can be made easier when you are part of a supportive team, for example, this forum, when you are trying to quit smoking.

My successful quit, was not as bad as I thought it would be for the first 3 months, then "bang" about 1 month of hell, then back to as it was all the way to the Penthouse.

I also think what else is going on in your life affects your moods and the perceived need to smoke or not as the case may be, if one has a couple of bad days, the urge to smoke will probable be greater, conversely, if life is good the urge to smoke is less. I think we have all lit up in the past when we are hit with problems, it just seemed the thing to do to reduce a stressful situation.

Another factor to an easy or hard quit is the support you get and is it the right support for you and that will differ from person to person.

There is a lot of scientific stuff written on how to quit, but in my view it is all useless, unless your head is in the right place and you are receiving the right sort of support for you.

I hope that we on this forum offer a broad spectrum of support and meet individuals needs as best we can.

@Glasgowgal you are doing really well, I doubt it will be an easy ride all the way to the Penthouse, but your head is in the right place to make this quit your final one. Your posts are so positive and a breath of fresh air.

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal, LAST CHANCE SALOON

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 03:47:49 pm »
Well done @Glasgowgal ,you are an inspiration to us all .After a few rocky days i seem to be in a good place too..im glad your ahead of me so ive got someone to follow and dont you dare fall off, where would that leave me..Well i shaved some  fluff off the top of my arm KitKat and patch is sticking well..Got my  lotto ticket to day at asda ,first time ive been there all week and Wendy said usual packs and i said sorry i dont smoke any more, sorry if your asda shares go down...she was over the moon for me..She gave up 3 years ago and now is surrounded by fags that dont bother her, she just sees cardboard boxes..Im also waiting for the low day as weve been here before but something feels different this time and remember we wont be buying those increased price fags tomorrow.Been a long week talking about fags.
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 04:08:06 pm »
Glad the patches are sticking a bit better @LAST CHANCE SALOON they can be tricky little devils at times and yes you are so right @Glasgowgal is an inspiration as are you young man, as are you !!  008

It's so great to see people fighting this bloody addiction and doing it in such a positive way, it took me years to get it right and I feel a right idiot for not doing it sooner.

Keep posting, keep enjoying the forum and all the silliness that goes on and shout if and when you need any help or support.

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal, LAST CHANCE SALOON

Glasgowgal

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 05:28:03 pm »
The forum is a wonderful support and the forum being the wonderful members. And no doubt helping my "easy" quit. Im low tech not on facebook but this forum is brilliant and suits me perfectly. I just need to be careful of drunk posting haha i am a notorious drunk dialler and texter  006

I'm here for the long haul. Hey day 50 for me is xmas day pretty coool eh  8)

Well its gym time for me FT Fit class tonight so time to take the patch off.

Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: KitKat

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 07:12:39 pm »
I know @Sally was just behind me so she might remember better than I do, but I think I was relatively easy compared to other people. I started off by being quite ill (tonsillitis that nearly landed me in hospital), but once I was better I was fine; even fine with people smoking around me. I did get sick again and that's when my Greek monsters then played up in month 3. Generally when I've been healthy I've been fine. But yes, when I had coughs and colds and my system was clearing out over the first 4 months maybe, it seemed to throw up the taste or that scorched feeling on the back of my throat and I'd have dreams that I had smoked and wake up upset about dream cheating.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Glasgowgal

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 08:35:25 pm »
Oh thats good to hear you had it easyish too tea.  Does your system start to clear out at month four? Whats that like and how long does it last??!!
Quit Date 6/11/17

Glasgowgal

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 08:40:03 pm »
Hahaha i think im delirious from the lack of food and totally mis read your msg tea 006

Woops sorry you were clearing out from tonsilitus, cough and colds right. Damn i liked the thought of my lungs clearing out month 4  :)
Quit Date 6/11/17

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 08:46:58 pm »
Oh my lungs were clearing out between Week 1 and Month 3 sporadically. I did not like that at all. I had a terrible cough and felt all dry inside. But yeah, I seemed to get sick a lot for me. I had never had a chest infection until after I quit.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Glasgowgal

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 08:59:45 pm »
Im just crossing my fingers i dont get ill lol like you, i dont get ill, not had a day off work sick in over ten years  006
Quit Date 6/11/17

Titch

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 12:06:21 pm »
Glasgowgal - dont go assuming there will be bad days cos there may not but if there is all you have to do is remember NOPE and remmeber your reasons for quitting in the first place and you will get through it.    Also remember the golden rule.  If things get really tough and you feel that you really really need a smoke then come on here and post.  Wait for at least 3 replies.  By then the crave will almost certainly have passed.

So day 18 for you now.  Thats nearly 3 whole weeks.  You are doing so well.
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

Glasgowgal

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 12:10:44 pm »
I'm hopeful Titch, I am hopeful.

Yayyy day 18, strangely really looking forward to day 20.  And day 22 is a biggie for me, never made it past day 21  :-[
Quit Date 6/11/17

Sally

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 12:37:58 pm »
I have to say I struggled this time around, it hit me at about two weeks I think and it was like I'd lost a best friend.  It wasn't until I got my thoughts back together about the reasons I wanted to give up that it became easier.  Now if I have an occasional thought about wouldn't it be nice to have just one, I remember NOPE and all the good things about not smoking.

Well done on getting to Day 18.  Keep being positive and I'm sure it will keep going well.  And do keep posting as it must be great for people who are perhaps a bit nervous about quitting to read your posts. 
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 01:32:44 pm »
Looking good GG, looking very good!

It's so varied when people hit rough spots and often you will sail through a day or week that has brought some other quitter practically to their knees.  I guess all you can do is make sure that you have your defences well prepared so that, whenever the smoking monster does try an ambush, you can immediately spring into action and combat those craves quickly.

Crack on petal, you're doing great  :hug:
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Enough42

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 05:59:30 pm »
Yayyyy!! Well done @Glasgowgal. So brilliant that you are feeling so strong coming up to your milestone moment. I have had a couple of really tricky moments but as others have said, just jump on the forum and post and someone will reply and fill you full of so much positive energy that you'll feel like a fool for having even contemplated breaking your quit.
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am