Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 5  (Read 2423 times)

LAST CHANCE SALOON

Day 5
« on: November 20, 2017, 10:32:01 am »
I havent had an email of approval but thought i would try posting..Well how did i get here,no one pushed me,the family gave up on me years ago as a hopeless case...40 years of smoking..but 6 months ago while out walking the dog my right leg got a massive pain in the calf and ankle and i had to wait a minute or two before i could walk,same thing happened next day so i dug out a TENS machine we had and put that on and  pain gone but i knew it was only masking the problem...so last week i took the wife to doctors and picked up a stop smoking card and rang the number but hung up 3 times but then thought Leg and finally got through and went to meet my mentor..she was great and put me on patches and mist spray...I used the 24 hour patches 16 years ago and they stopped me smoking for 2 years until my dad died and i was back on the fags,easy to fall off the wagon even after 2 years..Day 3 was the worst, i was climbing the wall from 8am till 11am, headache ,stomach pain, then the patch kicked in and a calm came over me. I started reading the posts on here and found after an hour i hadnt thought about smoking once and saw we were all in the same boat .Well its day 5 and not missing my first  fag of the morning...hoping my carbon level has dropped from 29 when i get checked on tuesday.If i feel like a smoke in the day i just say LEG ,its my trigger word and works for me,hey sorry ive written an essay.

Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

The following users thanked this post: Kat73, Skiddaw

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
Re: Day 5
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 11:01:09 am »
Welcome to the forum Last Chance  :D  I can understand where you are and how you're feeling. I was a heavy smoker for about the same amount of years as you. For health reasons I just had to quit. Wasn't sure how I was going to do it but managed, with help of phone support, champix and people on the forum.

We will do all we can to get you through and support you.

Just keep thinking of the LEG and remember NOPE Not One Puff Every. Come on here any time even if it's just to complain about things.

I'm not too sure about the carbon levels, but I do remember a couple of people posting saying they had not had a cigarette but the carbon levels were up.  I believe there are other reasons for it. Someone else might be able to tell you more than me.

The following users thanked this post: LAST CHANCE SALOON

Glasgowgal

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 11:15:13 am »
Hello Last Chance Saloon!!

Well done getting to day 5!!  I'm not far ahead of you, im day 15  :)

Keep reading the forum and through the old posts, it really helps me.  And keep posting too!

I'm off to the pharmacy at lunchtime and im hoping they will do carbon reading, they didn't last week...not sure why. 

How are you finding the mist?  I've never tried that.  I'm on patches and lozenges.

I too feel like ahhhhhh a calmness when I put on the patch  :) :) :)
Quit Date 6/11/17

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 12:04:24 pm »
Ok @LAST CHANCE SALOON  lets take one thing at a time here, others will come along and give you all the advice on quitting etc, I have another issue I wish to raise with you.

You say while out walking the dog you got a pain in your calf, this could be claudication, why do I suspect this, well because I have it in both legs. Now, I am no doctor, but you have described the classic symptoms.

In my case I have walked through the pain and other vessels have opened up to compensate for the blocked artery (normally the Femoral artery) but only cos I went to the Docs and had some test done to confirm the problem.

If left untreated it could get worse, you need to get you arse to the Docs asap, he may do some simple test like checking the pulses in you leg which will indicate what the blood flow is like, better still he will refer you to a vascular surgeon who should do a  Doppler ultrasound test, which will confirm one way or another.

See below

Claudication is pain and/or cramping in the lower leg due to inadequate blood flow to the muscles. The pain usually causes the person to limp. The word "claudication" comes from the Latin "claudicare" meaning to limp. Claudication typically is felt while walking, and subsides with rest.

Some common tests used to diagnose claudication include: Checking the pulses in your feet. Ankle-brachial index to compare the blood pressure in your ankles to the blood pressure in your arms. Doppler ultrasound, which monitors blood flow in the area affected.

I have had all the test possible, including a CT scan, non of which hurt and my walking has increased from 100 yrds in pain to 2 mils with some discomfort.

An operation is possible if it ever got too bad, but I won't go that route and they WONT operate if you smoke

With me it started in one leg and very mild, then  five years later the other leg which was bad, very bad (this was last year) 

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 12:37:44 pm »
That's a lovely leg you have there.... ;)

Keep going because things can only get better and it can only be for the best.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 12:56:56 pm »
Thanks everyone for your comments,it really helps.I had good feedback with my quit nurse and also got pulled in office from our local chemist who seems to see all the quitters in my area of north wales...Im not sure if the spray mist works or not, peppermint water may work as well but at 20 pound a go it must have something in it, but do as i was told and put it on your finger then your mouth ,spraying into your mouth will give you hicups for 5 minutes. As for leg KK im sure your right as i googled it but know if i go to doctor now she will say do you smoke and pack it in before she will do anything...i should say its only painfull when i walk fast with the dog,its fine day to day..i will see her soon though. Well day 5 and a half and feeling good,thanks everyone, theres no falling off the wagon this time, last chance, but i didnt have this forum last time, and 70 pounds saved already, not digging in my pocket every morning, the wife thinks its 15 pounds..Thanks tea i like my leg as well and would like to keep it if possible, im trying, and hey theres a pink thing in my mouth thismorning thats not the same colour as my cigars, bonus.
Quit 16th November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

The following users thanked this post: KitKat

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 01:00:33 pm »
Nice to see you posting @LAST CHANCE SALOON and well done on getting over the infamous hump day that is Day 3 - no-one really knows why but it's known to be an absolute stinker.

Sounds to me as though you've got all the incentive you need to make this the quit that sticks and, having a lost quit behind you as so many of us have, you'll be very aware of how easy it can be to let go of something that has taken everything you've got to achieve.  As Kitkat says, there may be an issue with your leg that needs checking out so don't let it slide, make an appointment and ensure that your GP is aware of when the pain has occurred, what you were doing to bring it on and how often it has happened.  You can always mention that a friend said that it sounds like claudication which he suffers from (they don't tend to like armchair diagnoses but that particular condition may well not be on your GP's radar).

Don't apologise for writing an essay, that's what we're here for!  Whether you want to have a rant, ask for help or simply distract yourself for a while we're totally at your service.

Crack on mate, that first week is within your grasp!  :)
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Titch

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 01:36:02 pm »
Hello from me last chance and very well done on getting to day 5 already.   You say youve done 2 years before now so you dont need us to tell you the benefits you will get from not smoking.

You have definitely come to the right place to find your forever quit and everyone here will help you get the first week out the way and then the first month, first year etc.  We can pull you, push you (kick you if needed) and just be around to support you. 

So come on put your best leg forward [pardon the pun]

:) :) :)

After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 04:58:12 pm »
Slightly belated welcome waves from me too, @LAST CHANCE SALOON - honestly, with the combination of the support from your quit service and the lovely people on the forum you can't but succeed, I promise.  :) :) :)

I'm with @KitKat re getting the leg checked out. Think how proud you will be when you tell your GP you no longer smoke. Fantastic!!  :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 07:19:38 pm »
Well do keep coming in and you make your posts as long as you like (I love a good rant or an essay) because I think that the people who sustain a quit are the ones who visit regularly for the first 6 months at least, until they are in an entirely new routine and habits.

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 11:03:57 pm »
Nearly end of day 5 and a strange one..day 4 went well so thought today would be better untill 2 pm when i started going down hill, used more spray than any day but headache returned and felt out of control as if i was heading back to day 3. Got through to 8.30pm when i went for a shower before the jungle started,took T shirt off and there was the patch hanging off so that explained a lot,funny because the last 4 patches were stuck like glue so didnt think about looking at it today. Stuck back on with tape and all is calm again...I decided on day 3 to leave the patch on over night, as you did with  the old patches years ago, to get the last dregs so i would not start the next day from scratch and it worked a treat thismorning..Back on track and looking forward to my second visit to see alex at the surgery tomorrow...not sure if i should ask about lozenges which everyone seems to be on.
Quit 16th November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

Glasgowgal

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 10:56:08 am »
Morning LCS,

Well done sticking with it and getting through a tough day.  Yes the patches do have a habit of coming off, mines come off anytime I do any sort of exercise.  I tend to put them on various different places on my arms so I can at least check throughout the day that it is still in place!! Where have you been putting yours? 

I like the lozenges as for me its an instant hit but I would imagine the mist is the same??  But the good thing is the lozenges are an instant hit but then it lasts about 10 mins until the lozenge dissolves....so its an instant and prolonged hit  8) 8)

Hope you have a good day

GG
Quit Date 6/11/17

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 11:50:15 am »
Thanks glasgowgal, funny but you were the first post i saw before i signed up, so have been keeping an eye on you to see how you are doing.Good to see you are sticking with it,some others i followed seem to have fallen off the radar...yes its the first 2 hours after getting up that were the worst before the patch kicks in..First 2 days i paced up and down the house untill i was exhausted..thats when i started leaving the patch on over night and the last 3 mornings i havent had any cravings, who knows if theres still nicotine in the patch after 16 hours and im sleeping 8 hours solid, im sure i would get up some mornings at 3 am just to have a smoke. well i havent had a reminder text for my 3pm appointment today,but i see alex an hour before the group meets at 4 pm so im sure she will be there..The lozenge sounds good, might ask about them, but the mist works ok and dont want to loose it just yet..Yes bad afternoon yesterday but now i check my patch which im putting on my arms, just shows how much my brain still needs nicotine though, but as its had it for nearly 40 years it must be a in shock...nice and calm again today and learning not to reach for that first smoke in the morning..keep going,and dont fall off....right off for a smoke...only joking, that used to be my last word on my emails but not any more. I walked through my first cloud of somebodys smoke yesterday and felt sorry for him,whats happening to me.Have a good day.
Quit 16th November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 12:31:38 pm »
See @Glasgowgal and @Enough42 .... you are role models now.

The following users thanked this post: Kat73, LAST CHANCE SALOON

Enough42

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 12:52:20 pm »
See @Glasgowgal and @Enough42 .... you are role models now.

Sorry for my absence everyone....I've been ridiculously busy being mum to new puppy who is literally terrorising the household.  Day 21 of the quit for me - woo hoo - and I celebrated it with my planned visit to the dental hygienist! The appointment commenced by me proudly declaring my ex smoker status and simultaneously apologising for the state of the staining on my teeth.  The hygienist was lovely and very supportive of my quit and told me that she had seen worse so I didn't feel too bad.  But now I have a mouth of pearly whites that I don't need to hide when smiling or opening mouth. Feels great.  Welcome to the forum @LAST CHANCE SALOON although it sounds like you've previously read the book on this one but it's nice to come on and vent/express pain/receive empathy from the great guys and gals on here.  Sorry gotta scoot back to my fur baby......be in touch again soooooooonnnn!!!!!! Woof!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am