Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Lowering the nrt  (Read 1795 times)

Glasgowgal

Lowering the nrt
« on: November 19, 2017, 05:20:47 pm »
Hi everyone,
Im currently using 21 mg 24 hour patches and 1.5 mg lozenges

Ive been putting patch on every morning and taking it off when i go to gym or swim in evening. (Patch came off in gym and pool so just take it off prior now). So im patch free in the evenings but im an early to bedder, 10pm.

Id say have around 4/5 lozenges a day.

This weekend i havent had a patch on! Yesterday had a mother of all hangovers. And today been busy busy hardly stopped for a second. So ive just had lozenges here and there.

I feel good that i have two surplus patches now incase i need them in an evening!!!

Should i be trying to lower the mg as i do think i could manage good on less mg? Or has anyone had patches from the pharmacist - could you tell me when it gets lowered and lowered as ive never got past day 21  :)

Quit Date 6/11/17

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
Re: Lowering the nrt
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 05:51:53 pm »
Hi @Glasgowgal

Sounds like you're doing fantastically well! I was another patch/lozenge quitter (supported by NHS quit smoking service). I dropped to a lower strength patch after the first two weeks and after another two weeks I stopped using patches completely and just used the lozenges. Like you, I found the patches had a tendency to fall off and as I often didn't notice when they weren't there I decided (with support of my quit nurse) that I might as well fly solo. I continued to use the lozenges for another month or so and then weaned myself off them too.

I say do whatever feels comfortable and right and if that is to drop to a lower strength patch then do so. You can always go back onto the higher strength patches if you find yourself starting to struggle.  :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:32:19 pm »
I started on patches, the mega strong ones at first and stayed on those for a month, then dropped down to the lower strength ones for another two months, but found the damn things moved around my body like maggots in an apple, I even found them stuck to Mrs KK so gave up on them all together and bought a vape thingy which worked fine for me. I'm still on it but "0" nicotine which is a bit like sucking a pineapple.

We are all so different, so there is not a "one fix for all", so my advice, which is pretty crap at the best of times, is to cut down very, very slowly, this quitting game is not a sprint, but a marathon, so pace yourself and don't try to rush it and listen to your body and brain.

Trust in yourself.

If you cut down and the urges build up, just up the dosage for a while, then cut it back down when you feel ready to do so.

KK's top tip --------------------Don't panic ------------------

KK ;) 
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

Glasgowgal

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 02:06:19 pm »
I just stuck with the 21mg patches this week.  I'm assuming in the next week or two the pharmacist will suggest trying a lower mg which im fine about.

I do really feel good when I put my patch on in the morning though.  Dont know if its a placebo effect or if they really hit me that fast...but its like...ahhhhh ok...im set for the day now  ;)
Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: tea

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 03:30:53 pm »
Good for you @Glasgowgal  This quitting lark is not an exact science and you and you alone will know what you need and how long you will need it for.

Quitting is a marathon not a sprint, so take you time and just pace yourself.

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal

Phil Coulson

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 06:20:26 pm »
I used lozenges and cut down a little but in the end I just stopped. Each time you cut down you need your body to become accustomed to a lower input of nicotine so you go through a withdrawal phase. Some people find it easier to do it bit by bit others find that draw the withdrawal process out a lot and believe its better to get process done all in one go. A bit like pulling a plaster off slowly or quickly!

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal

Glasgowgal

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 06:32:26 pm »
I dont think i could just stop nrt!!! Hats off to folk who even try that let alone manage that!! Pheeww thats brave.

I think a slow process will suit me better, i feel very comfortable with where i am at right now.
Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: KitKat

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 07:03:56 pm »
I dont think i could just stop nrt!!! Hats off to folk who even try that let alone manage that!! Pheeww thats brave.

I think a slow process will suit me better, i feel very comfortable with where i am at right now.

Everyone is brave in their own way whichever path they decide. Cold turkey is no braver than with lozenges, it is merely "One man's meat is another man's poison."

However, we start our personal path is our own choice and it works. Thereafter, it is micro steps for all of us until we have the key to the penthouse and even then the Nicotine Gremlin can be a deceptive bugger.

The best bit is that no matter where you are on this journey, how you started this journey, there will always be someone there to support you here.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

Glasgowgal

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 07:35:47 pm »
Hahaha have you had a sherbet, big kisses back to you  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Yep it confusing this quitting game. And i know im early days and probably naive/ignorant. But the whole fags/nicotine thing confuses me. You talk about the penthouse and nicotine gremlin in same sentence. What brought us here was giving up fags. I feel like that battle is over (naive, tick) for me. 

I dont want a fag and have had like zero cravings. But i need (NEED) my nrt.

Im confusing myself. Im just going to say to myself, for now, im addicted to nrt and hey thats great because it isnt the cancer sticks. And that is BRILLIANT! That is why i am here, afterall.
Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: KitKat