Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Ahem....hello week 3!!  (Read 2411 times)

Max414

Re: Ahem....hello week 3!!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 10:29:37 am »
Enough,the mental battle is something you just have to ride through.
I spent the first 6 weeks of my quit endlessly thinking about ciggies,it was hard!! But I vividly remember one morning where 2 hours passed by with no thoughts of smoking whatsoever,it was absolutely inspiring ! That memory demands a whole bunch of split-performing bananas  :nobeer:
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

The following users thanked this post: Enough42

Enough42

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 11:31:05 am »
Well okay @Max414 it makes me feel much better knowing that someone can find it as hard if not harder than me and make it through. If you can do it then I can do it too.  That's why this forum is so bloody priceless.  And yes you definitely deserve the hula dancers and the split performing bananas!!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 01:00:20 pm »
Bless you @Enough42, the mental games are just the pits!  Prior to my successful quit every attempt would bring me to my knees, literally crying, shaking and practically needing to be committed to an institution  :'(

I think it's down to working out what response works best for you.

At the beginning I had to distract myself, any time where I was left time to just sit and think would bring the craves a-calling and boy are they LOUD!  So I became Distraction Woman - I cleared out cupboards, cleaned like a mad thing (literally getting every single item out of every kitchen cupboard, washing/wiping the lot, scrubbing out the cupboards and sticking it all back in), performed major life laundry on clothes, books and general clutter, did endless jigsaws, played online games, and clung to the forum like a newborn monkey clings to its mother.

As things developed I eased back on that a little and when those craves came calling, before heading to Distractionville, I got properly mad at being reduced to such a pathetic, needy state by something that was ruining my health, stealing all my money, making me stink and dictating every waking moment of my life!  Sometimes I would actually give the Smoking Monster what for out loud, just to vent the rage.  Converting my needy desperation to anger at being in that state really did help.

You'll find your way sweetpea, we're all made differently and what works for one, doesn't work for another.  The only thing that IS universal is that giving those craves airtime in your head will feed them and they will get louder and stronger.  However you find a way to silence them, the important thing is to shut them down and deny them any attention as fast as you can.  They become strong on a diet of your thoughts so denying them any airplay is the way to defeat them.

If you fancy, have yourself a tootle around the Tips threads and see if any methods people have shared sound appropriate for you.

Crack on hon, he's shouting louder because he can feel you slipping through his fingers and he's getting desperate, you are defeating that Nicodemon! :ninja:
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

The following users thanked this post: Enough42

Glasgowgal

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 04:25:30 pm »
Oooo sorry your having a tough day enough but hopefully youve got your lovely, energetic, great distraction puppy now!!

I tell you a hangover is a great way to take your mind off fags hahaha

I would love a dog. We had big dogs growing up...a doberman and a ridgeback. Joe was a chocolate brown doberman and just adorable. Ive got two cats now and a cat flap so very easy, pretty much just have to put food out and they look after themselves!

One day at a time enough or even one hour at a time. Youre doing brilliant.
Quit Date 6/11/17

Max414

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 07:33:47 pm »
Any quitters out there- read and digest Kat73's post above- it is quite breathtakingly superb advice !  007 007
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Enough42

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 07:49:21 am »
Ahhh thank you @Kat73 and as Max says, superbly written advice! I made it though the rest of the day quite easily actually.  Yes we have new puppy now so lots of distraction value right there!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

markmcclean1980

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 12:53:34 pm »
Well done on getting as far as you have.  Listen to the advice given by the lovely @Kat73 and @Max414 they have been there and offer some great insight, as does everyone else on the forum.  Keep at it and you will soon realise that you have went a short period without thinking about it.  Keep going and keep asking for help if you need it. Every minute of not smoking is another minute of staring the cravings and pushing them further away.

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 01:20:03 pm »
Attagirl!!!

Looking forward to hearing all about your new fur baby - we want the deets!!!  We are a very furry-loving crew here so fill us in!

Hey @markmcclean1980, how are you doing?
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13