Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Ahem....hello week 3!!  (Read 2412 times)

Enough42

Ahem....hello week 3!!
« on: November 15, 2017, 12:41:05 pm »
Well I have only just realised that I am officially on day 15 and I do believe that that qualifies me to move up a room - woo hoo!

I have been pre-occupied this morning because I think we are GOING TO GET A DOG!! I have been the nay sayer on the dog subject for the last couple of years but I think that my family (ahem....me...as main career of said dog) is now in a position where we can make the commitment. And to be honest it is great timing for me to be going for walks etc to take my mind off that pesky good for nuttin Mr Nic. Not such good timing that it is winter but hey ho, you can't always have everything!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

The following users thanked this post: Kat73

Glasgowgal

Re: Ahem....hello week 3!!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 12:49:17 pm »
Oh wow a new dog!!!  Thats a brill idea and i'm sure will help with the quit!!
Quit Date 6/11/17

Titch

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 03:27:23 pm »
Oh what type will you be getting.  Puppy or rescue dog.  we need pictures.
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 05:25:35 pm »
Oh yes please!!!  ;D

Blindingly good idea @Enough42. Can't wait to hear more.  :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

And HUGE congratulations on reaching the Week Three room! Nearly a whole month under your belt now.  ;D 008
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Enough42

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 07:04:31 pm »
As much as I love a rescue dog, I'm afraid that we'll be hitting the puppy route.  Apart from the fact that puppies are obviously just too cute for words, hubby and I really want a well behaved dog which will mean serious training from the get go.  We are looking at a cockerpoo. We both love working cocker spaniels but feel they are a bit too full on for us so the cockerpoo seems to be a nice compromise! Going for a viewing tomorrow!!

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 07:27:37 pm »
I want to see! I want to see!
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 07:38:47 pm »
As much as I love a rescue dog, I'm afraid that we'll be hitting the puppy route.  Apart from the fact that puppies are obviously just too cute for words, hubby and I really want a well behaved dog which will mean serious training from the get go.  We are looking at a cockerpoo. We both love working cocker spaniels but feel they are a bit too full on for us so the cockerpoo seems to be a nice compromise! Going for a viewing tomorrow!!

Here's a pic of my friend's cockerpoo and he is a real teddy bear (although can be a bit barky at random noises)

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:45:16 pm by Indigo Warrior »
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

The following users thanked this post: tea, KitKat, Sally

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 09:20:02 pm »
Here's a pic of my friend's cockerpoo and he is a real teddy bear (although can be a bit barky at random noises)

He looks very intelligent. I wonder what he was watching! Does his owner sit like that with their arm on the arm of the chair? Is he copying them?

Sally

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 09:40:48 pm »
Another forum dog!  Can't wait to see a picture.  I've just been having cuddles with my friend's 12 week old "Sprollie" (springer x border collie, what will they think of next?!).

Dogs are a very good quitting aid, Charlie got lots of extra walks when I quit!! He does agility and that's where I really noticed the difference very soon after quitting, I could run the course and still have the ability to speak at the end of it!
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

The following users thanked this post: KitKat

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 09:42:56 pm »
They are really lovely dogs, I have several friends who have one (they're supposed to not shed which helps if anyone has an allergy).

Congratulations on your arrival in Week 3, you're starting to get well into your stride now  010

Keep on keeping on and pamper and protect your precious quit as though it were a newborn - you're well on your way now so it becomes more a case of keeping your guard up and squashing any craves when they try to ambush you so remember Professor Moody's catchphrase in Harry Potter - CONSTANT VIGILANCE! That'll get you all the way to the Penthouse  ;)
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Enough42

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 09:27:10 am »
Day 18 and had a tough time this morning (yes, already!). I just get so annoyed that I can't do what I wanna do without consequences. I know, I know, I sound like a proper spoilt child. Then a battle commences in my head and I get really cranky (usually at hubby) until I finally win the battle by changing my setting (this mornings setting was changed by showering). Arrgghh.  I'm getting quite tired of it being such a mental battle.  My life seems to be on hold while I wait to get past this constant brain battle, which just irritates me even more. Does it get easier after the first month, the first 3 months? When can I hope for a reprieve from constant brain battles?

On a positive note, we are going to collect puppy this afternoon!!! I tried to post a photo but the size was too big and I have no idea how to reduce size of a photo on an iPad......errrr.....sorry for being technologically challenged!

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 09:52:58 am »
Oh @Enough42 ... I do empathise... we've all been there, honestly.  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

You're doing SO well and remember that every time you win one of those battles your arsenal increases and its that much harder for the Demon Nic to get under your skin. Everyone is different but honestly, you WILL come through it and the craves become less and less frequent (and less and less intense) as time passes until eventually they're like sad little ghosts (rather than like a huge and rather aggressive gorilla with a mallet  :o).

Hold on, keep going, keep posting- someone is always around.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Enough42

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 09:53:16 am »
The mental battle is so different for everyone, but it's one of those where one day it does click and then it's a whole new world. But I think @Lostie will tell you that she felt cross and grumpy for a while. Changing the setting is a really good idea, just anything that lets you tell your head "no, we don't do that anymore but you can have this instead".

Enough42

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 10:08:01 am »
Seriously don't know what I would do without you guys.  Can't thank you (and all of those who have gone before me) enough.  I have just been absorbing myself in previous posts and feel much better. I think I just need to give myself a target to aim for.  42 sounds like a good number! As I've read from other posts....if things didn't get better at some point then everyone would be back smoking!!!! So I've just got to hang in there and keep fighting the brain battles one at a time and try to be a bit nicer to my hubby  006

The following users thanked this post: Skiddaw

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 10:28:26 am »
Naa. Be grumpy. Men have hides like rhinos.  ;)