Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Disappointed with the pharmacy - lack of support  (Read 2046 times)

Glasgowgal

Disappointed with the pharmacy - lack of support
« on: November 13, 2017, 01:58:45 pm »
Hi everyone,

Well here I am into week 2.  Just been to LLoyds pharmacy to get my patches/lozenges and I merely got handed my prescription!!!  No co2 measurement, no asking how im getting on, nothing.  Very disappointing....

But hey ho!  Least I got my NRT for the week  :)
Quit Date 6/11/17

Kat73

• Administrator
Re: Disappointed with the pharmacy - lack of support
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 02:08:09 pm »
OK, first up let's respond to the main event here - WELCOME TO WEEK 2!!!!! :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:  YOU MADE IT!!!!!

Unfortunately that's pretty common hon, I had a massive reaction to the Champix I took to help me quit and never once heard from my quit nurse who I had been seeing regularly - I can only assume she figured I must have fallen off the wagon.

On a decidedly more upbeat note, what kept me going through that awful time was the lovely crew here (in particular my beloved Maxwell, aka Max414) and it's a debt that I can never repay.  So stuff their lack of encouragement, as long as they dish out your quit aids we're more than happy to step in and administer sympathy/encouragement/advice as appropriate.
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

The following users thanked this post: Glasgowgal

Enough42

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 02:57:23 pm »
When I quit 13 days ago I rang my local stop smoking helpline thinking that it would be good to talk to someone, have my CO2 measured etc and........my call was picked up by a call centre.  I had to give my name and address and the reason why I was calling. Seriously, there is nothing more demoralising than going through a massive and highly emotional change in your life and reaching out for help only to be shunned, ignored, disregarded by those that should be there to support you.  That's when I knew that I had to find a forum and thank goodness I stumbled across you guys on here!!! And........MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS ON WEEK 2 @Glasgowgal !!!!!!!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 03:48:15 pm »
Just to make you laugh @Glasgowgal, I worked on one of the call lines 17 years ago before I even started smoking. I tried to be nice and helpful and everything, but now I really GET it. I went to one for a few weeks and mine was a smoker!!
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 03:52:46 pm »
You just keep on going @Enough42  @Glasgowgal    and just shout if you need any help, advice, guidance, well anything really.

Someone is always lurking around, in a nice way of course  ;D

KK ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:20:08 pm by KitKat »
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

The following users thanked this post: Enough42

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 04:29:35 pm »
I live in Australia but I was lucky with the support guy I got.  I think he was just a 'special' person. When I rang after a year to thank him. I got someone else who said they would pass the message on and that he regularly got calls from his ex clients :D

You'll get support here  007

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 05:36:04 pm »
You will indeed @Glasgowgal  :hug: :hug: :hug:

It really does seem to vary. I was very lucky indeed in finding a very supportive and truly lovely quit nurse but even so, it was my dear wonderful forum friends who really saw me through. Don't you worry @Glasgowgal - take the NRT and use us for the support network (and fun  ;D).

And you're a total star btw....  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Glasgowgal

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 06:11:25 pm »
Yep it does vary. I've did the stop smoking classes before twice, which was held in a local hall with smoking cessation nurses. They were brilliant. Very supportive, encouraging and understanding. I was just a little miffed at Lloyds,  why offer a service if you cant fulfil it. Im sure their remit is not just give prescription and send them packing! But enough of that.

Yes this forum is brill. Im on my phone so keeps my hands busy
 I like reading all the old posts. I was in the help section the other day and seen the person cheese something was struggling a bit. And it was earlyish on. And then i went into the penthouse and seen he made it! I was like wow!!!
Quit Date 6/11/17

Max414

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 06:21:54 pm »
I felt lucky too  004
My quit nurse pencilled me a schedule to take the Champix with regular checks along the way- just a pop in hello ,as it were -and I found it helped me to think of it as a course I had to pass ( being a Cop back then ) so i kinda never thought i was allowed to fail?

Gg and Enough 42 you are rocking this and you will get all the support you need right  here !!! :hug:
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 06:32:23 pm »
LOL oh yes we had to change Cheesepuff to @Cheesenotpuff because she didn't anymore!!
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 06:44:10 pm »
I went to see my nurse at my local surgery and I asked her if she would be the only person I would see as I like continuity, Yes Mr KK I will always be here for you, I also asked her a few more questions, ok, maybe I should have kept it to smoking or not smoking as the case may be, but she seemed so nice and understanding.

Anyway, when I turned up for my next appointment I was told that she had left and I could see somebody else, no thanks I said, I can do this by myself and trundled off home to the only person who I knew I could trust and would be there for me --------------Mrs KK

One look from Mrs KK and I knew I would/could never smoke again.

Yep, I gave up smoking and she doesn't get any more headaches, win, win ;D

KK ;)

Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

Sally

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 07:44:07 pm »
I too was disappointed with the lack of local support.  I quit on the spur of the moment, then panicked and tried to make an appointment to see a nurse at my GP surgery.  I was told they were too busy with high priority cases and advised to go along to a pharmacy as they all offered a stop smoking service.

I made an appointment at Boots, left work early, got there and nobody seemed to be expecting me.  I waited for some time, then an assistant turned up, led me to where the NRT products were and promptly disappeared! 

I remember about two weeks in feeling completely overwhelmed by it, and turned to Google which is when I found this group of people and from then on had my very own 24 hour stop smoking support.

Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Glasgowgal

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 09:01:20 pm »
Ive had no pharmacy support over the holiday period i think its three mondays ive missed.

And in that time ive stopped using the patches and just having the occasional lozenge.

Im in two minds about whether to go back 1. Because i dont think i need the support or the nrt products and 2. The staff irritate me a bit

But i think i will go back though, every little helps eh. And what was it i blew...was it a 3 @LAST CHANCE SALOON ? It was same as you. But id like to get that even lower  ;)

So i will go along on monday. Did you keep up your support @Nick_82 ? And you got signed off star pupil didnt you @LAST CHANCE SALOON ?
Quit Date 6/11/17

Nick_82

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 09:22:30 pm »
Hi @Glasgowgal , sorry to hear your pharmacy have been a bit rubbish. I think you should go, you don’t have a lot to loose by going even if you decide not to carry on with much of the NRT.

I’ve got an appointment with my quit smoking advisor on Sat, need to go to get my next Champix prescription. I feel like I could do without it but I’ve failed before in month two so this time I’m going to play it safe and stay on the champ for thee months like they recommend.

Glasgowgal

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 09:34:46 pm »
Good idea @Nick_82 staying on the champix for three months. Do whatever you goto do to keep the quit! And yep you are right i have nothing to lose so i will go along.

Im trying to do the math of how many more weeks support i will get, im same as you 12 weeks. Just checked the calander, my support will run till the 22nd January! Then im on my own. But of course not, ive got all you lot for support  ;)

It will actually be a milestone completing the 12 week support at the pharmacy as i have started it a few times a tell yi!
Quit Date 6/11/17