Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Double Digits - Day 11!!  (Read 3113 times)

Enough42

Double Digits - Day 11!!
« on: November 11, 2017, 08:32:29 am »
So the last few days have been going well. Still battling the cravings, which seem to be coming on more at night time now but I am determined to resist! Today I am having a 4 hour private cooking lesson in our house.  It was my Xmas present from my hubby last Xmas which I had been putting off using because I couldn't face the thought of having to go 4 hours without having a smoke! Just goes to show how restrictive the smoking is. So without the smoking inhibitor, I am very much looking forward to learning how to cook some new dishes!
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Sally

Re: Double Digits - Day 11!!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 08:53:04 am »
Smoking did make things stressful didn't it, always worrying about when you'd be able to have your next cigarette.  Well done on getting to Day 11.  Hope you enjoy your cooking lesson and look forward to hearing what you've made. 
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

The following users thanked this post: Enough42

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 09:39:31 am »
Very well done @Enough42  all round to yours for dinner  :foundbeer:

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 10:18:41 am »
Keep up the good work @Enough42 and enjoy your cooking lessons 007  008

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 10:33:42 am »
What time are we expected @Enough42 ??  ;D 008

Hope you really enjoy it. Do tell us what you cook (and ideally post some pics)  :)
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 10:58:52 am »
Ooh I want to see the cooking!!
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Enough42

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 11:24:59 am »
Sorry no pics but it was great fun! Sadly since then I've actually really been struggling mentally. I just miss it soooo much. Why am I going through this now on day 13 when I have been feeling really strong and positive? It feels like I am completely at a loose end and not knowing what to do with myself without having a smoke to turn to at the end of my daily tasks. And I just can't stop thinking about it! Am I just mentally really weak? Do I just need to give myself a big kick up the butt? How much longer before I will stop missing it so much??? Errrr....help!

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 12:08:03 pm »
I feel for you  007  What you are going through is not uncommon. Smoking has been part of your life for so long and you will miss it. Think of it as a break up with a bad relationship.  Just because it's bad, doesn't mean you won't miss it.

Just stay strong and go hour by hour if you have to. Remember NOPE Not One Puff Ever.  Believe me you can do it. So many people here have managed to succeed. It is not always an easy journey, but it is one that will be well worth the effort.

We are all here to support you in your journey. xxx

Sally

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 12:27:49 pm »
Glad to hear the cooking lesson went well. 

What you're going through sounds completely normal.  Once the 'novelty' of quitting had worn off about two weeks in, I felt like I'd lost a best friend. It's Mr Nicotine playing tricks on you, he'll get bored and bother you less and less as time goes on.

Hope today is kind to you and post if you need us. 
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Doodlebug

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 12:28:17 pm »
The mental battle is a hard one and it’s common for these thoughts to pop up when you are least expecting it. You’ve done really well to get where you are. Keep posting we are all here to help
Quit cold turkey 1/1/2014.

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 12:41:38 pm »
What I think happens @Enough42 is that to begin with, you're sort of on a roll of elation and excitement with it all and that gets you through the first week or two. After that (or this is how it was for me anyway) it wears off a bit and you face the realisation that you're in for the long-term (and that's a bit dispiriting to say the least). I think it helps to find an analogy to compare it with. With me, because I love fell-walking, it was climbing a mountain. When you start out you're all fresh and looking forward to reaching your destination but then the way ahead starts to become steep and rocky and the summit seems like a million miles away. In fact, if you look at it, it seems to recede rather than get nearer. But if you can just plug on and put one foot in front of another there comes a point where you pause for breath and realise that actually you've come quite a long way and that your starting point is already far below you. Then it becomes easier to keep going and before you know it, the angle lessens, you're out on the summit ridge and suddenly there's the summit cairn and a view to die for. That's what worked for me and I bet there's something resonant that would work for you.  :hug: :hug:

You're doing SO well!!!  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

The following users thanked this post: Kat73, Enough42

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 01:04:20 pm »
^^^ what she said! ^^^

You've come a LONG way already so just hold that in your mind and when the cravings hit ask yourself "Do I want to..."

a) start smoking again and put myself through this a second time? or
b) tough it out, knowing that however rough it is, I will NEVER have to go through this again.

If the answer is b) then distraction is the name of the game, find something to do that will fully occupy you and leave you no time to dwell on thoughts of smoking.  We've all come up with different means to this end so have a tootle around the Tips threads and see what's there that might work for you.

Hang in there @Enough42 - you're doing GREAT!
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 01:36:18 pm »
Honestly, it can be the psychological side that's the toughest. It's breaking a habit. So my little dances at the end of the ironing seemed nutty but they replaced the fag. Rewards worked for me - treats for good behaviour worked like an advent calendar as the run up to the big milestones.

I'll check in later to see how your day went.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Enough42

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 01:53:01 pm »
Thanks you guys.  You are all so brilliant. After I posted I got out of the house and yup my desire completely went away. You are definitely right about the novelty wearing off and realising this is it. Okay so just gotta keep going, one foot in front of the other until I reach the summit. Come on!  I can do it!! I definitely don't want to be a smoker again!!

The following users thanked this post: tea, Kat73, Skiddaw

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 02:08:51 pm »
As Mr Punch used to say:

That's the way to do it!  :D
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13