Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: Day 5 Newbie  (Read 1797 times)

Enough42

Day 5 Newbie
« on: November 05, 2017, 07:37:35 am »
Well hello. Here I am on the morning of day 5, feeling very proud of myself but still needing encouragement to get through those cravings. I have given up smoking essentially for my husband and 2 kids, who of course hate me smoking.  I've been smoking since I was 16 and have stopped twice previously (including when pregnant) but always succumbed to the "just one" trap. I really, really loved smoking but hated enough things about it to finally chuck it in.  I think Day 1 was probably the hardest for me.  Once I had gotten through the day, when I woke up on day 2 I knew there was no going back otherwise all of that agony I had endured without the fags on day one would be wasted.  It is this methodology that has kept me going through each day and now here I am on day 5. I think the fag I miss the most is my first of the morning, yep, within 5 minutes of getting up.  Now it is replaced with a cup of tea that tastes amazingly sweet, now that I can taste things! I even had a couple of glasses of wine last night(at home watching Strictly Come Dancing with the daily) and didn't crack so proud of that too. Okay so at this point I'm just rambling with all of these thoughts that have been jumping around my head for the last 5 days. Just wanted to say hi.
Kicked It on Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 9am

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
Re: Day 5 Newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 08:55:44 am »
Hello @Enough42  and welcome to the forum. :)  Oops excuse me I called you by the wrong name (corrected now). Thanks for stopping by and telling us a bit about yourself.

You have every right to feel proud of yourself reaching Day 5.  That's nearly the first week out of the way. :foundbeer:

I remember that first cigarette in the morning. You can kiss all that goodbye now and you can also come on here and 'ramble on' whenever you like. We don't mind at all. ;D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:03:17 am by Lostie »

The following users thanked this post: Enough42

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 09:12:56 am »
If you think that cup of tea tastes different have you tried a satsuma yet? They are amazing!!  ;D @Kat73 and I were watching the Strictly too; I am still laughing about Anton falling over.

It sounds like you've gotten the hang of the giving up so far, so just keep quitting. Your kids are going to be so proud.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Enough42

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 09:41:18 am »
Nope I haven't tried a satsuma yet but will definitely do so! Ironically I had a shower and washed my hair this morning and my 6yo complained because I smelt like perfume.....the irony! My husband hasn't got close enough to me to compliment me yet as he knows that my brain is blaming him for making me give up smoking so he is giving me a massively wide berth.  But I am so glad not to receive his looks of disgust anymore as I come inside after a smoke.  It will all be worth it in the end. Thanks for your support! It feels great to have people to talk to - I have been a closet smoker because I was so embarrassed about my dirty habit, so I can't really tell my mum friends that I have quit!!

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 09:59:09 am »
How very dare you smell of perfume  ;D?!!! My daughter used to sniff me every day after school so that I passed the 'sniff test' to prove I hadn't smoked and then I could have my gold star on my star chart!! I may have been a bit snappy at times that first couple of weeks but the spare money made me happy. Keep on posting and tracking how well you're doing because it's such a big motivator. I can't believe how much some people have saved and had cars, motorbikes, down payment on a house, etc.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

Sally

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 10:49:23 am »
Hi @Enough42 and welcome to Just Quit.

Well done on getting to Day 5, I had a glass of wine watching Strictly last night too which was turned up loud to try to drown out the sound of fireworks!

You're almost at a week now, are you planning a treat for your one week milestone?
Quit date - 1st October 2014, Quit method - lozenges

Enough42

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 11:09:06 am »
Hmmm @Sally .....a treat......I do need a new pair of trainers so maybe those! I also have a dental hygienist appointment for later this month.  I CANNOT WAIT to get rid of my stained teeth and be able to give a natural big grin without trying to hide my teeth!!!!

Yes @tea I can't help thinking that if I had actually continued my stopped smoking after my 6yo was born I would have saved about £18,000 by now. If that isn't a motivator then what is?!

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 12:30:03 pm »
Hello from me too @Enough42 and a big fat welcome to this lovely forum.  ;D 008 :hug:

Tell you what, when you see the hygienist and announce you've quit smoking you'll be as proud as punch (and with good reason). Your teeth will soon be sparking and if my experience is anything to go by, you'll really notice the difference in your gums. They seem to plump up somehow and as you've already found everything tastes better.

Hurrah for you- you're doing splendidly well. Just keep telling yourself that you'll never, ever, have to go through this again and before you know it you'll be counting in months rather than days.  :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 07:30:49 pm »
Welcome to the mad house @Enough42 and please feel free to join in any of the threads that you find interesting and please ask as many questions as you wish, non of us have all the answers, but between us and as a group we probably do.

Take care, enjoy life and have fun  008

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

Glasgowgal

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 07:19:41 pm »
Hi Enough,

Im a newbie also and a fellow within 5 mins of waking up EX smoker! Just wanted to chip in that i learned from previous quits not smoking two fags before i leave for work rewards me with an extra ten mins in bed! So i set the alarm ten minutes later, which i appreciate!

GG
Quit Date 6/11/17

The following users thanked this post: Lostie, Enough42

Enough42

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 09:21:18 am »
Thanks for your tip @Glasgowgal but unfortunately I am a natural early riser....very annoying!  009

Enough42

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 12:15:20 pm »
I'm just going to bump this up in case there are any newbies floating around out there looking for some new year "quitsperation".  I started this post when I was day 5. It was hard and I was struggling (although in hindsight my posts seem very calm and not at all like how I was actually feeling!). I'm now on day 65. I'm so proud of myself (okay I feel like a bit of a whatever writing that but I really am proud).  It was a desperately difficult road that all quitters have travelled but I'm so glad I travelled it to get to here. If I can do it then you can too. There are a few of us on here who have quit at varying points over the last couple of months and I'm sure they all feel the same way - if they can do it then you can too!

The following users thanked this post: tea, Max414, Lostie, Sally

LAST CHANCE SALOON

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 01:29:47 pm »
Well done @Enough42 , you past your first target and now at 65 days, which makes GG at 60 and me at 50. The three Novembers of class 2017 still going strong. There should have been 7 of us so feel sorry for the one's that failed, you don't know how good we feel and smell, and the bank balance is bulging. If you didn't fail get posting.
Quit 16th November 2017.
Last smoke 21st November 2017.
Trigger word...LEG.

The following users thanked this post: Enough42, Glasgowgal

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 08:12:07 am »
You 3 are doing really well @Glasgowgal  @LAST CHANCE SALOON  and @Enough42

If indeed there were 7 of you at the start and 3 of you are still going strong, that is 43% which is just above the average success rate.

Surveys show that the majority of current smokers would
like to stop smoking but only about 30%-40% make a
quit attempt in a given year.

So well done you guys

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

The following users thanked this post: Enough42, Glasgowgal, LAST CHANCE SALOON

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 02:22:16 pm »
We Three Kings Of Just-Quit Are, in fact!!  008 ;D 007 :foundbeer: