Kick the habit with fun, free, friendly support to be a new smoke free you xx

Author Topic: I've arrived!!!  (Read 373 times)

bubbielau

I've arrived!!!
« on: October 11, 2017, 10:09:40 am »
Officially into week 2:
7 days 9 hours and 2 mins
148 cigs avoided
£81 saved
and 14.45 time won back (don't know what this one means???)

I'm loving my app!  It gave me a sticker this morning!

I don't think i've got to week 2 in a while, so i'm feeling quite good about it, however I'm terrified i'm getting a cold.
Everyone else has one, my collegues, my husband, the friend i saw last night, and I can't get a cold.  I'm OD'ing on vitamins, but i felt really snotty this morning.  Hoping it's just my lungs clearing out.  I've lost a lot of quits to colds, even far more established ones.  I find colds are different when you don't smoke (stays in your head) than when you smoke (goes to your chest) and I can't deal with it being in my head.  Even when I "stopped" before I always had 5 or so when i got a cold, just to knock it out my head. 
So I'm terrified of getting a cold this early.  Any advice anyone?

KitKat

• Administrator
Re: I've arrived!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 11:09:02 am »
@bubbielau  just ignore any thoughts of colds and keep going towards week 3

14.45 could be the number of days that you will live longer by not smoking

Well done  008  :hug:

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

The following users thanked this post: bubbielau

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 11:23:20 am »
I thought the time saved was the amount of time you hadn't wasted smoking - at say 5 minutes per fag, mind you you also save time not finding a working lighter and going to buy more!! Oh I don't miss it!!

Now I quit when I was coming down with something and it worked a treat for me. Lots of citrus fruits and hot lemon; the taste doesn't go with cigarettes anyway. But in all honesty those Fisherman's friends are great, the taste is a bit yuk but it's so yuk that it'll take your mind right off any cravings.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 12:30:06 pm »
Interesting, see below

Research has shown that smoking reduces life expectancy by seven to eight years. On average, each cigarette shortens your life anywhere from seven to eleven minutes. In other words, the time it takes you to smoke a cigarette equals the time that cigarette takes off of your life.

So for ease of figures, cos my brain wont cope

148 cigs x 10 mins = 1480 mins

1480 divided by 60 = 24.66 hrs

So @bubbielau  and if I'm right, you have put an extra day on your life expectancy  008

Seems like a good reason not to start smoking again

KK ;)
Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 01:15:23 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if it's just 'quitters flu' rather than a proper cold @bubbielau  but even if it is a proper cold, I should tell yourself that you ain't gonna be beat by a bit of snot.  :)

Welcome to Week Two! That's a MIGHTY achievement and you're doing really, really well.  :hug: :hug: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Titch

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 01:30:37 pm »
Oh wow @bubbielau look at you.  I turn my back for five minutes and find you have vacated week 1 and charged full steam ahead into week 2.  Very well done.
Hopefully the sniffles wont turn into a full blown cold but if they do then so be it .... those pesky germs wont stand a chance and you will fight it off much quicker as a non smoker. 
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

markmcclean1980

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 05:12:58 pm »
Welcome to the room @bubbielau

It's nice to know I have some company in this room.  I'm only a day ahead of you so let's do this thing together.  We got this!!!

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 08:30:34 pm »
Well done @bubbielau . Within the next couple of weeks you will, if like me, suddenly experience the euphoric stage when your body realizes what a buzz breathing proper oxygen is.

I love my counter too and all the wonderful stickers and they really helped. We are all with you.  008
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 11:06:11 pm »
WOOHOO, WEEK TWO FOR YOU!!!!  :foundbeer: :foundbeer: :foundbeer:

That's brilliant, well done you!!!

Don't worry too much about whether it's going to be an actual virus or a quitter's "cold" type thing, at the end of the day the symptoms are pretty much the same.  The important thing is a) it's not as bad as it would have been were you still puffing away, b) you should hopefully throw it off quicker and c) it'll clear some of the muck out which can't be a bad thing.

In any event, be kind to yourself, drink LOADS, eat as much fresh fruit and veg as you can, throw some Berocca or whatever tonic type supplement you find helpful down your throat (Redoxon is a good one for colds and boosting your immune system) and hold on tight to your precious quit - you're making great progress so keep on keeping on!
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

Max414

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 11:29:51 am »
Doing superbly Bubs  :foundbeer:
Think of one phrase during your quit,3 simple words that will save your life and recoup a fortune in otherwise wasted money...

'Just keep going'

:hug:

As Churchill himself said " When you're going through Hell-keep going"
30 years of rollups,20 a day

9.53 pm Dec 28th 2012 >>>>>>>........last cancer stick..

With help from Champix and the late Mr Allen Carr,
The Nicdemon met his Waterloo at Xmas 2012 :-)

Kat73

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 12:32:34 pm »
How's it going @bubbielau?
Smoker for 20+ years with a 3 year quit in the middle
Used Champix 16/01/13 to 12/02/13
Last cigarette 8pm 28/01/13

bubbielau

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 10:10:17 am »
Hi,

Sorry I haven't been on - I took some holiday last week, so have been a bit busy!

I'm still quit smoking.  The app says 19 days 9 hours and 2 mins, 388 cigs avoided and £213 saved!

It's going ok - just occasionally I think "I'll just have a fag before I ..." and then remember I'm not supposed to do that anymore!  Slightly worried I've replaced smoking with drinking though!  Too mmuch Vodka has been drunk since I quit smoking!

The cold did come, I managed to make it through without smoking, but i think i have the strangest times I want to smoke - immediatley after exercise got me the other day!

so hows everyone else?

The following users thanked this post: Kat73

Indigo Warrior

• Just keep quitting, just keep quitting.
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 10:36:33 am »
@bubbielau well done that's over half month now. Take each day at time; take each minute at a time whatever works for you.

The gremlin will try to coerce you into changing your mind but it sounds as though you are very much in charge at the moment.

Keep up the fight  :vader:
Nicotine free since 22nd August, 2015

Lostie

• Reformed Smoker
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 10:49:18 am »
I just realized I hadn't posted on this thread. Sorry @bubbielau .   I'm late but you'll soon be in week 3 007 007

You are doing really well and just keep plodding and you'll make it.

tea

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 04:55:12 pm »
I used to do that @bubbielau and find myself standing in my smoking spot thinking "what am I doing here", but it passed pretty quickly. Pretty soon we will be celebrating your 1 month smoke free and I vote there ought to be cake.
12.9.2014  (I forget sometimes)