Kick those cigarette butts with us!! Join up now for fun, friendly, free support with your quit.

Author Topic: The inescapable truth is that vaping maintains a reliance on nicotine  (Read 62 times)

Phil Coulson

Whether there are any side effects from vaping long term will only be proven once that long term has passed but I think there is broad agreement that they are less bad than smoking. Various scare stories about "popcorn lung" have been largely discredited but the thing which strikes me is that most of the people I know who vape do so to maintain their nicotine addiction but in what they believe is a less harmful way.

The continued reliance was highlighted to me by a guy I know in his late 20's who had successfully switched from smoking rollies to vaping last year. When he went away on holiday he was unsure of what regulations might effect him with regards to travelling by plane with vape juice and what availability of vape juice there would be at his destination so he chose not take his vape stuff abroad but to buy tobacco at the airport and use patched for the airports and flights.

He smoked while abroad and now is working his way through the rest of the tobacco while vaping some of the time. All told he'll have been smoking for 6-8 weeks once he's done assuming he succeeds in switching back to only vaping.   

I'm so pleased that E'Cigs weren't really established when I quit or I might still be nicotine dependant! Can't be doing with the stress of having to find time throughout the day to fit in a nicotine fix any more!

Skiddaw

• Quit bagger
Re: The inescapable truth is that vaping maintains a reliance on nicotine
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 01:18:23 pm »
I would have probably been the same @Phil Coulson but I suppose anything that's less harmful than real fags has to be a Good Thing. I've also certainly known people who have successfully used vaping as a quitting aid.
Finally saw sense on 8/12/13

So many mountains, so little time...

Titch

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 01:27:17 pm »
My Hubby has been using an e cig with a high nicotine content for nearly 2 years.  Whilst I agree it is much better for his health and our finances than conventional cigarettes he is actually more addicted to his ecig than he was to cigarettes as he has it more often and for longer periods.  I find that when we go out for a meal he goes outside to vape more often than our smoking friends do.  When he smoked it would be 5 mins outside in the cold, wet, windy garden as soon as he was awake but now its a good hour of vaping whilst sitting in the nice warm house on the sofa.  Darent nag as I dont want to push him back to smoking but I for one dont like the sweet sickly smell it gives off, or the noise of him inhaling and exhaling with it as if his life depended on it.   002 002 002
After far too many years I stubbed out my final cigarette on February 6 2011 at 10 pm and havent looked back since.

The following users thanked this post: Phil Coulson

markmcclean1980

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 06:41:25 pm »
The same thing could be said about any form of NRT.  I think it depends on how it used.  If someone uses it to cut down and get off cigs, then reduces the amount as per any other form of NRT then they can only be a good thing.  It's when people choose to keep using them as a replacement and don't make an effort to come off them that I think it can be a problem.

I am using an ecig at the minute.  I'm not saying when but I do plan to reduce my strengths and eventual usage until I don't need it but I'm not going to rush it.  The long term plan is to stop using it but it will only be when I'm ready. 

Yes, I am replacing one addiction for another at the minute but I will stop vaping when I am ready.  It's a personal thing and, if managed in the right way, I believe can be a good thing.

KitKat

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 07:43:00 pm »
I'm on good terms with the owner of our local vape shop and quite often pop in for a coffee and chat and whilst chatting to him a few weeks back I asked him what strength most people buy, you can get 24 mg 18 mg 12 mg 6 mg and 0 mg  (just for your curiosity I'm on 6 mg) anyway I was surprised when he said a lot of people buy "0" mg.

I did of course ask why and was told it has become a bit of a fashion/trendy thing to do, of course there are a lot of ex smokers who are still hooked on nicotine and probably just as many who need to do something with there hands and are on "0" mg.

Vaping is to the best of our knowledge better than smoking, but only time will tell and lets be fair, who knows what is good or bad for us.

Do I agree that vaping maintains a reliance on nicotine, no not at all, it's down to the individual how they use vaping, patches etc, to quit smoking, it's a first step or maybe a second step, but it shows a willingness to try and quit and we should support that and their efforts.

KK ;)

Manners maketh man, not the way he spells it